New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.04 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (1/10/12)

Bought this player yesterday and one of the main features I like is the TuneIn app. But since it upgraded to the latest firmware version, my favourite radio station Trance FM won’t play…

I guess I have to go back to a previous firmware… Too bad…

Just rolled back version 1.4.12 and it works again.

But a fix in the next firmware update would be nice!

ok so support was no help, not really happy right now about this product or company.  still not working right and firmware update makes it worse!

fr27davis: 

Perhaps you should start your own thread and post what your issue is.

WDemon

WDemon wrote:

Now I am going to compare the picture quality of the WD V3 with the old WD Live V1, because I think it may look a bit washed out for me.

Welcome to the club. Try to set the colorspace to RGB High, and see then if the picture is still washed out.

If at RGB High is OK, please check my thread

To WDTV developers: Why do you hate so much “RGB High” colorspace?

Do you have the same problem?

I am suprised that no one so far mention this problem on Netflix. I shouldn’t be the only one experiencing this.

I was on version 1.05.18 when I bought the box couple weeks ago. I use it mainly for netflix, so I haven’t test a lot on the “local/sharing media through internal network” stuff.

My problem with the latest firmware (1.06.04) is with netflix. Before updating the firmware, a lot of the title in netflix have 5.1 surround and closed caption option (the one you set before you go into watching the movie). It all works fine and it can stream 5.1 to my receiver (old sony low end one) the path is from WD TV Live → TV(thru HDMI) → receiver(thru optical out from tv to receiver)

After I updated to 1.06.05, I start to see a lot of titles loosing that option (the option of audio and subtitle just disappeared!) It is really funny, because I keep remembering the movie I watched have 5.1 and cc, and now the same movie don’t have that option. Some of the title start to loose HD also. I say “start to” because the way the UI look is really funny. One time you can see “5.1” or “HD” in the title (when you highlight it) and when you move your cursor to other movie, and back to this same movie, the “5.1” or “HD” box just disappeared! For the same movie!!! How weird is that! It’s like a hidden menu that you have to click multiple time so that one time you got lucky and you will see 5.1 or HD box coming up. When those box coming up near the title, the Audio and subtitle option is there. When they disappear, so does the option. And it is not my setup, because some movie still have 5.1 and HD! Just most of the titles loose that. Originally I am thinking it might be netflix removing the feature, but on my pc, I still see 5.1 or HD. So does other database searcher on the web. So I know it is something on the WD TV Live side. It’s like the hardware is not reading the input data from netflix correctly. It’s really crazy to see for the same movie, one time it is there, and when you move your cursor and back, it’s not. I have to wipe my eye to make sure I am not crazy.

Eventually I have to downgrade it back to 1.05.18, and guess what, those audio and subtitle options came back! For the same movies that I selected! Even some movie doesn’t contain HD, at least it has the option for you to turn on CC (audio and subtitle option menu exist almost in all the movie vs in version 1.06.05 the menu completely vanished).

I think something is wrong in the netflix UI in the latest version. Please fix it!!!

Again, I am surprise that no one use this box who use netflix is noticing this. Do all you guys just watch it in plain 2 channel audio?

wwywong wrote:

Again, I am surprise that no one use this box who use netflix is noticing this.

A number of people have noticed it and have reported it in various threads and ISSUE reports.

Another poster contacted NetFlix and they reported that the issue is on NetFlix’s systems, but I have no first hand knowledge.   

1 Like

Thanks for the info. At least I know I am not the only one. They definitely need to fix it or the new fw version is useless.

Does anyone have an idea when the next firmware update will be released?

Thanks,

Nick

Nick2ooo wrote:

Does anyone have an idea when the next firmware update will be released?

Thanks,

Nick

As the last release was only 2 weeks ago I would assume that its not likely for a while. However saying that WD release them as and when they like without giving any prior notice. For all we know this could be the last release.

If this is the last release, I would regret getting this box. It got so much potential… so far it’s the only one that can stream netflix 5.1 to my receiver. I tried sony smp, netgear **bleep**, roku, so far none of them would stream HD with 5.1 DD+/DD perfectly to my old sony receiver (thru HDMI to TV then optical to receiver; or just optical from those box to receiver)

I guess the world of streaming is still no up to par with the world of blu-ray yet. A lot of the TV start to have streaming, but i guess most of them didn’t mention “HD” or “5.1” or “7.1” in their box, cuz most of them don’t. With time and fw upgrade they all will, but at this moment I think the technology is not mature yet. (and most people won’t have the bandwidth to stream those if they are still on basic/lowend DSL or cable) That might account for the slow development of this sector.

Dear richUK,

is this a rumour or a confirmed information, that this could be the last release of firmware for WD TV Live? You’ve given me a scare :frowning:

He said “For all we know…”

which is correct.   *we* don’t know anything, because WD rarely comments on firmware in development.

If you look in the issue section you’ll see that there are some issue’s pending and currently being test in a new firmware… So I think there will be another firmware release. But I don’t know when.

Zwaarpoot wrote:

If you look in the issue section you’ll see that there are some issue’s pending and currently being test in a new firmware

But that doesn’t automatically mean a firmware would see the light of day.

There were “pending” issues and possible new firmware when support for the Gen1 WDTV was dropped.

There were “pending” issues and possible new firmware when support for the Gen2 WDTV was dropped.

At the minute, there are pending issues and possible new firmware for the WDTV Live and WDTV Live Plus.  WD hasn’t officially ended support for them, but there is no guarantee any further firmwares would be released.

Same with the new WDTV Live Streaming Media Player.  It’s likely that support for it will continue for quite some time.  But nobody here can guarantee any future firmwares will be released.

That’s all Tony and Rich are saying.  It seems certain that support will be on-going for quite some time.  But nobody’s going to stick their neck out and make guarantees.

They weren’t saying that support might be ending.  Merely that we don’t know as an absolute fact that any future releases will be made.  It’s a safe and reasonable guess that they will be, but nobody knows that with 100% certainty.

thanx cusco

will try that tonight. I’m from the Netherlands by the way (but wish i WAS in portugal, both politic- and weatherwise :-/

Well regarding to the comments of whether they will continue supporting, I think out of all the streaming box that I tried, WD community seems to be the most responsive regarding getting something answer (might be due to you guys) and it seems to have the most fw update existing. Also I notice a lot of the box won’t even provide information on how to rollback fw.

Now this can mean 2 things: the good thing is the WD is being supportive to their customer. But the bad thing and the more important thing is: the box have a lot of big problem that need to be fixed from moment to moment. Now I am not saying it is bad, but I think WD streaming box product is a mix of above two.

Nonetheless, it’s still good to see the fw coming, because as I see most of the streaming box doesn’t even have much fw update ever since they are released in public (Sony, Roku, Netgear, etc.)

Having said that, I just hope that they make some part of it open source so people around the world can start to do all kind of wonderful thing to the box (look at Patriot Box Office and you will know what I am talking about). I think the hardware of this box have protential. But the software is not quite there yet. Even I said this, I think the UI is the best out of all the other box. That’s why I decided to stick with this box (look at Netgear’s ugly UI).

Unfortunately WD has taken a different approach by encrypting parts of the SMP firmware to prevent the device from being tampered with.

Cusco wrote:

Hi  sjelly!

The problem you’re having is because of your router, I guess.

Do you have that problem when disconnected from the internet?

If not, you must login to your router and elevate the firewall to the highest protection level. It will do the trick.

By the way, are you from Portugal? The ZON HUB from the ZON had a firmware upgrade that caused this problem you described.

Thanks Cusco. That seems to have solved the issue

Dear users,

Does anybody know, when we can expect the release of new firmware for WD TV Live?

Best regards

Maciej

KissOfDeath wrote:

Dear users,

Does anybody know, when we can expect the release of new firmware for WD TV Live?

Best regards

Maciej

No. In general WD does advertise a new release.