New Release - Firmware Version 1.05.04_V for the WD TV Live (5/12/11)

Since this new update my player is crashing randomly no matter what it’s doing. This has obviously become very annoying and renders the streamer useless if I cant watch anything. Will WD be resolving this issue soon? Or can someone recommend a version of the firmware that doesn’t crash? Although some of the older versions don’t work with Windows 7 x64

@Veetwin

I had a similar problem after upgrading to 1.05.04, but i didn’t try the firmware version as old as you did. I think the oldest official one i tried was 1.03.49 besides the WDLXTV one (which is based on the 1.02.21 firmware). I didn’t get sound with any of them, but i didn’t try 1.01.17. Instead i returned my WD TV Live to the store to get my money back.

My setup also contains a Sony amp (2400ES), but it’s a very strange problem.

Sinergie,

What unit did you replace the WD with?

Cheers,

James

I also got rid of my WDTV live player after lack of updates / and working updates… invested in Asrock Vision 3D HTPC , best thing ever did!

For the money I think the WD Live Plus is pretty decent.  I bought one so I could get Netflix on one of my TVs.  It connects to my server with 7tb of video and it plays everything I have on it.  Including BR rips, although it doesn’t play the menus.   I have the PopcornHour C-200 and I think that’s the best in my opinion.  Full BR support and lots of options via the remote.  The A-200, which I also own it great too with the exception you can’t connect a BR drive to it.  It will play BR files from a server though. 

The latest FW messed up my mkv’s so I do go back to a previous FW.  But for 80 bucks it was worth it.

@Veetwin

I went back to my WD TV 1G for the time being, until the next generation mediaplayers are released based on the XBMC platform.

madweegie wrote:

I also got rid of my WDTV live player after lack of updates / and working updates… invested in Asrock Vision 3D HTPC , best thing ever did!

Given the price of the Asrock I would hope that you would think that way.

After 5 successful upgrades and more than a month of using the latest firmware version (1.05.04), I’ve decided for the first time to revert to a previous version, in my case 1.04.31. My motives were two:

1. The options bar text goes all the way to the left or just disappears. It’s just an aesthetic bug, but I don’t understand how something so simple ends up getting broken. It didn’t really mind it, but it was difficult to manage sometimes.

2. The screen format got screwed after the firmware upgrade and I had to reset to the default options then reconfigure to fix it. I’ve found that everytime I disconnect the device it happens the same. I’ve been doing some fixes in the electrical installation at home and after restoring power I always had to reconfigure the player.

Both issues were first mentioned in my first post on this thread:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-05-04-V-for-the-WD-TV-Live-5-12/m-p/189192#M11452

I hope you fix it for the next version. I’m staying with 1.04.31 until then.

When I will choose another language in a video file, I can not see what language I choose because it comes out too far to the left !!! That’s  bah !!!

When playing a avi/divx file, the text on the subtitle menu is misplaced. So I can’t see which subtitle is selected.

some mkv’s don’t play on the latest firmware.  can someone recommend an older firmware version where this isn’t an issue?

i’m getting rather frustrated with how many issues just pop up here and there.

I have the same problem but with all my option selections, audio, subtitle, they shift far left, sometimes with half missing, but I also can’t turn the functions on or off with some of them. I’m wondering what I have to do to get things back to working as they were before the update. This happened after updating my firmware from  1.03.49_B to 1.05.04_B. Anyone out there resolve this issue?

u ever read topic mister ? :slight_smile:

Well, I read through 40 pages before getting tired of reading so many users with the same problem, and then, after your reply (which would have been more useful had you told me about the user’s contact with WD over the Options issue, rather than the sarcasm) I now realize that there has not been a fix released yet and that the WD people are “hopeful” that the next release will fix this bad bug. I can live with it (the option items being badly misaligned) until the new firware comes and see if that resolves it. If it doesn’t, I can always roll back. I recommend all users with this problem (and they are legion) just keep checking the WD firmware release page for the next one.

Most of the Wd live owners wait for a bug free firmware soon.

Just to throw my two cents into the mix… I am suffering from the scaling (ratio) problem where after a power recycle it reverts to full screen instead of wide screen.

I am also using the composite out on both my sets ( I still have 2 36" tubes ) and am using  the WD Live Media Player running Firmware 1.05.04_V downstairs and the WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player using Firmware 1.05.04_B upstairs, same problem with both. Reverted both back to 1.04.31_V & 1.04.31B and patiently awaiting the next release…

:angry:

1.04.22_V is the best firmware to date.  I use mkv’s a lot and haven’t had any problems with them.> The only issue I ever see is a minor bug with MTS/M2TS file playback - a brief pause with loss of sync at the start - which may have been fixed in later firmware.> * * *
substance12 wrote:

some mkv’s don’t play on the latest firmware.  can someone recommend an older firmware version where this isn’t an issue?

Is this device abandoned by WD?

I see, firmwares are prertty buggy and there is not replacement for the last one which is two months old and has some serious bugs.

No, I don’t think that it has been abandoned because some of the staff has made a few comments like "that will be fixed in the next release’. So it looks like there will be another release coming. (Don’t ask when because WD does not release that kind of information).

1 Like

I have two issues which I expected to be fixed with this revision. HDMI Auto defaults to 720P even on 1080P source material. And 96kHZ/24bit FLAC files are downsampled to 48kHz. Please advise.