New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

Hello! I’ve updated to the latest firmware yesterday, and now the WDTV is unable to find the shared folders in my laptop through the wired connection. I have a Macbook Pro and it has always worked like a charm, wired and wireless. Since this update, the shared folder is only accessible via wireless connection. Any idea on how to solve this problem? Thank you.

Toslink Optical is sadly slight distorted once you do a Standby :frowning:

The  Distortion Problem with Toslink can only be fixed if i Reset  the WD to Factory defaults.

Then the direct

“Toslink WD to AVR” 

and

"HDMI to TV.  then  TV Toslink Output to AVR "

Distortions is near Zero. With HDMI its still there a bit but with Toslink not up to high Volumes.

Once you go to Standby Mode or unpower it the Problems do appear again.

The WD seems to change/ set its overall Audio Level to a much higher level if you Standby and that may cause the HDMI and Toslink Distortions.

This is really annoying.

I thought i can fix all and everything with a directplug of the WD “Toslink to AVR” but i now have the same Issues with Toslink Distortions. Those are not in the same buzzy huge Distortion Level as HDMI Distortions on my AV Receivers but they are really noticable. Its Scratchy.

There must be def. a huge Bug in the Audiolevels and i have no clue why it is so extremly pushing its Levels once you Standby the WD Live after a Reset.

Only Output which is not affecting of that Problem is the Analog Cable Output which anyways sounds bad compared to Toslink Optical.

I do not want my WD to be Online 24h day to get rid of that Distortions :frowning:

RoofingGuy wrote:

No, it doesn’t switch resolutions.  It stays on whatever you’ve set it to.

The auto frame rate does just that… it changes the frame rate.

But the Auto option is on top of the resolution list, you actually don’t set a resolution with it…or do you?

From my understanding this option is for both, resolution and, in the underlaying menu, now framerate too.

Or would you set it to say 1080p50 first and confirm the “change resolution” request…and then select “Auto” to switch on the framerate automation?

Pa9an wrote:

RoofingGuy wrote:

No, it doesn’t switch resolutions.  It stays on whatever you’ve set it to.

The auto frame rate does just that… it changes the frame rate.

But the Auto option is on top of the resolution list, you actually don’t set a resolution with it…or do you?

From my understanding this option is for both, resolution and, in the underlaying menu, now framerate too.

Or would you set it to say 1080p50 first and confirm the “change resolution” request…and then select “Auto” to switch on the framerate automation?

To get the auto framerate option you must accept auto for the hdmi setting. The resolution set is then decided by the WDTV on information supplied by your TV. (this info is not always correct!!)

I do have a little problem with auto framerate. My TV is 1020:768 and if I play a 720p MKV there are some horizontal stuttering lines (interference?) in the middle of the screen.

It does not occur with any other resolution, what seems strange, because, in theory, there’s no up/downscalling if I play a 720p over a 720p TV.

I had the same issues with this upgrade as I did 1.04.10 & .17. File stuttering regardless to size of file or bitrate during playback directly from NAS (WD Sharespace). Therefore, I went back to 1.03.49 where this stuttering does not take place. And all things works fine!  This bug take place since 1.04.10

Mute is not working (via UPnP).  Commands to put mute on/off are acked with OK (no errors), but subsequent queries always give the current mute value ‘0’ (mute set to off).

However, volume control using the UPnP protocol got fixed (setting volume to 0 does work this time). 

It would be nice, if all fixes would be listed in the Release Notes.

UPnP notifications (DMR to DMC) looks like may not be working some time after the initial request for notifications.  I see the renewal messages being sent to WDTV, but WDTV goes silent after some time.

Those notifications are mandatory per DLNA certification (i.e., PLAYING / STOPPED).

jacek wrote:

UPnP notifications (DMR to DMC) looks like may not be working some time after the initial request for notifications.  I see the renewal messages being sent to WDTV, but WDTV goes silent after some time.

Those notifications are mandatory per DLNA certification (i.e., PLAYING / STOPPED).

Actually it is not certified as either a DMR or DMC. It is certified as a DMP (digital media player). See here- http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG73326800.pdf

A DMP is not the same thing as a DMR+DMC. As such it is not required to provide any of the call-back notifications. Nor does it have to implement volume control.

parnott100 wrote:

Actually it is not certified as either a DMR or DMC. It is certified as a DMP (digital media player). See here- http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG73326800.pdf

A DMP is not the same thing as a DMR+DMC. As such it is not required to provide any of the call-back notifications. Nor does it have to implement volume control.

Then they should not get us used with new fieatures that they don’t plan on completely implementing.

I love using the player as a DMR (because I can…), but because they didn’t bother to do it properly I get more headaches than actual benefis.

Andrescm, _TV_1, spoonman are all complaining about in movie navigation.

I am writing this for them and all others out there that have not found this yet:

When you ff or rew a movie you can press  next or prev to skip 10 minutes!

Let’s say you want to seek to minute 43:30 in a movie, all you need to do is ff it to 2x, then press next 4 times and furthermore press ff to increase the seek speed; when you get ti minute 43 you simply press play.

It’s a nice feature, too bad it’s not written all over the place!

There is also the very usefull subtitle sync option, just hit left or right to reallign the subititle!

I will update tonight, but I am a bit reluctant as many previous updates caused more problems than pleasures!

I’m having a problem with PlayOn with this new firmware.

It works fine, except none of the videos on PBS Kids work any more.  I get the “unable to play - unsupported format” message.  All of the PBS Kids videos worked fine under the old firmware.  Same version of PlayOn (3.2.6.1594).

Other channels (Hulu, etc) seem to work as they did before.

parnott100 wrote:

jacek wrote:

Yes, you are right about the DLNA certification, the device is not DLNA DMR certified. My bad here.

Notifications:

The mandatory (required) requirement comes from the UPnP AVTransport Service spec.  Since WDTV is not always providing the mandatory notifications, it  is broken as a UPnP renderer (still, it is quite a good renderer with respect to media support).

Volume / Mute:

There are many rendering controls that can be implemented through UPnP RenderingControl.  However, if controls are not implemented or not appropriate for a device, those are usually not exposed (i.e., you are not able to call GetColorTemperature, neither it is exposed via scpd.xml on this device as it doesn’t have a screen, as such you should not be able to call Get/SetMute if mute is not implemented). What actually makes mute broken is that when SetMute is called, WDTV replies with a success, what is wrong.

With volume control, all the states from 1 to 100 were working (on previous F/W), but 0 was setting the volume to 100 - it is fixed right now.

So, I would argue that with respect to  notifications, WDTV is broken as far as the UPnP spec, as such it is a bug that should be reported here.  With respect to mute, by exposing the functionality and responding with wrong states, it makes this to be a bug as well.

Thanks for that info. I’ll give it a try.

Unfortunately for some unknown reason it’s caught in a loop. I turn it on, it shows the WDTV logo, goes black, shows WD Loading, Then when I Video/Network Shares is goes black and back to the WDLIVE logo :frowning:

This is something I haven’t exerienced until this newest firmware update.

It also seems to take a long time before I can actually connect to any network. For the first few tries it just says “UNABLE TO CONNECT” and then maybe on the 5th try it starts to show my networked drives. I don’t remember having this problem a few firmwares ago.

OK, it just came on and I can verify that method does in fact work. Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

When was this feature added? It’s something that should be printed in large fonted BOLD letters!

NEW FEATURE!
Fast forward or rewind in 10 minutes incriments!!
:stuck_out_tongue:

parnott100 wrote:> …

Actually, I take it back (about being not compliant with the DLNA certification), please check the following certificate:

http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG63875836.pdf

The WDTV Live Plus is certified as a DLNA DMR device.

So…How exactly are you guys/gals doing the update? I have been on 1.02.21 for months and months…and I thought I might try an update and of course - it was complete disaster.

1. I went right to the latest (1.04.22_V) and things were looking good. I wandering arounf the interface, played an entire movie without any problems…everything was cool until I hit stop on the movie. The WDTV suddenly rebooted for no reason and after that I could not play a single piece of media. If I tried a FLAC file…instant restart. If I went to a movie (mkv format) - instant reboot.

2. So I then dropped back to 1.03.49 and there are new issues now. I can get a movie going but cannot use any button on the remote to stop it, pause it or anything…I have to pull the plug to get it to stop.

I am about 15 minutes away from going right back to 1.02.21 so I can at least use the thing…but my real question is: what is the best way to do the firmware update? All of my attempts have been manual via USB key…but I see folks doing factory resets, hard resets and so on…

Is there a preferred order (including soft/hard resets) to try and get the greatest chance of success?

Cheers,

VP

jacek wrote:

parnott100 wrote:

jacek wrote:

Yes, you are right about the DLNA certification, the device is not DLNA DMR certified. My bad here.

Notifications:

The mandatory (required) requirement comes from the UPnP AVTransport Service spec.  Since WDTV is not always providing the mandatory notifications, it  is broken as a UPnP renderer (still, it is quite a good renderer with respect to media support).

Volume / Mute:

There are many rendering controls that can be implemented through UPnP RenderingControl.  However, if controls are not implemented or not appropriate for a device, those are usually not exposed (i.e., you are not able to call GetColorTemperature, neither it is exposed via scpd.xml on this device as it doesn’t have a screen, as such you should not be able to call Get/SetMute if mute is not implemented). What actually makes mute broken is that when SetMute is called, WDTV replies with a success, what is wrong.

With volume control, all the states from 1 to 100 were working (on previous F/W), but 0 was setting the volume to 100 - it is fixed right now.

So, I would argue that with respect to  notifications, WDTV is broken as far as the UPnP spec, as such it is a bug that should be reported here.  With respect to mute, by exposing the functionality and responding with wrong states, it makes this to be a bug as well.

Notifications-

There are no mandatory call-back notifications in the UPNP spec for DMP devices. DMP devices MAY advertise them but they are not REQUIRED to do so. And most don’t implement them anyway.

Volume/Mute-

DMP devices are not required to support these requests. They can advertise that they do, which most devices do, but most devices like the WDTV just return an OK without doing anything. They are not breaking the SPEC by doing nothing, they are just responding to a service request that they advertised which is what they have to do.

spoonman wrote:
When was this feature added? It’s something that should be printed in large fonted BOLD letters!

NEW FEATURE!
Fast forward or rewind in 10 minutes incriments!!
:stuck_out_tongue:

a LOOOOOONG time ago.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

a LOOOOOONG time ago.

Was it ever “added” ??  Even my Gen1 has this feature.  It seems like it’s always been in all the manuals for Gen1/Gen2/Live/Live Plus.

No wonder “RTFM” is a constant refrain.

Edit:  I just checked… it’s not in the original Gen1 manual, but it’s in the Gen2 and everything released since, so it must have been “added” to the Gen1 around version 1.02 or so.  I could go back and flash with old FW’s if y’all desperately need to know how many years ago WD added it. :wink:

jacek wrote:

parnott100 wrote:> …

Actually, I take it back (about being not compliant with the DLNA certification), please check the following certificate:

http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG63875836.pdf

The WDTV Live Plus is certified as a DLNA DMR device.

Well this thread is for the Live and you point to Live+ documentation. It still does not matter because the certified features do still not meet your needs.