New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

I always read the manuals. Wasn’t in there. I also read the release notes for every firmware prior to flashing (wasn’t there either).

I don’t know what to tell you, then, since it’s been in my manuals:

parnott100 wrote:

jacek wrote:

parnott100 wrote:

jacek wrote:

UPnP notifications (DMR to DMC) looks like may not be working some time after the initial request for notifications.  I see the renewal messages being sent to WDTV, but WDTV goes silent after some time.

Those notifications are mandatory per DLNA certification (i.e., PLAYING / STOPPED).

Actually it is not certified as either a DMR or DMC. It is certified as a DMP (digital media player). See here- http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG73326800.pdf

A DMP is not the same thing as a DMR+DMC. As such it is not required to provide any of the call-back notifications. Nor does it have to implement volume control.

Yes, you are right about the DLNA certification, the device is not DLNA DMR certified. My bad here.

Notifications:

The mandatory (required) requirement comes from the UPnP AVTransport Service spec.  Since WDTV is not always providing the mandatory notifications, it  is broken as a UPnP renderer (still, it is quite a good renderer with respect to media support).

Volume / Mute:

There are many rendering controls that can be implemented through UPnP RenderingControl.  However, if controls are not implemented or not appropriate for a device, those are usually not exposed (i.e., you are not able to call GetColorTemperature, neither it is exposed via scpd.xml on this device as it doesn’t have a screen, as such you should not be able to call Get/SetMute if mute is not implemented). What actually makes mute broken is that when SetMute is called, WDTV replies with a success, what is wrong.

With volume control, all the states from 1 to 100 were working (on previous F/W), but 0 was setting the volume to 100 - it is fixed right now.

So, I would argue that with respect to  notifications, WDTV is broken as far as the UPnP spec, as such it is a bug that should be reported here.  With respect to mute, by exposing the functionality and responding with wrong states, it makes this to be a bug as well.

Notifications-

There are no mandatory call-back notifications in the UPNP spec for DMP devices. DMP devices MAY advertise them but they are not REQUIRED to do so. And most don’t implement them anyway.

Volume/Mute-

DMP devices are not required to support these requests. They can advertise that they do, which most devices do, but most devices like the WDTV just return an OK without doing anything. They are not breaking the SPEC by doing nothing, they are just responding to a service request that they advertised which is what they have to do.

I have not mentioned DMP in my posts, you brought it up.  So, please let’s focus on the DMR/renderer side.

I have not mentioned that they are breaking the SPEC with respect to Volume/Mute.

parnott100 wrote:

jacek wrote:

parnott100 wrote:> …

Actually it is not certified as either a DMR or DMC. It is certified as a DMP (digital media player). See here- http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG73326800.pdf

Actually, I take it back (about being not compliant with the DLNA certification), please check the following certificate:

http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG63875836.pdf

The WDTV Live Plus is certified as a DLNA DMR device.

Well this thread is for the Live and you point to Live+ documentation. It still does not matter because the certified features do still not meet your needs.

This forum is for both Live and Live+, the released F/W is the same for both devices.  The UPnP renderer is same on both devices.  The only difference is a lack of DMR certification for Live (with respect to notifications / volume), what was already stated is irrelevant to described problems / bugs.

Finally a usable free radio! And … Tune-in Radio! Which i use in Android and Blackberry. Couldn’t be better. Thanks WD!!!

It seems that it does not show songs titles like on my other devices (not every radio seems to support that anyway) but it’s amazing to be able to run this in my WDTV. Unexpected but desired and necessary gift! :slight_smile:

Actually, on closer reading of that section of the manual that I pasted, something occurs to me…

It says “Prev” and “Next” can be used to skip amongst chapters “if the video file supports chapters”.

Matroska supports chapters.

Therefore, despite the dozens of times it has been posted as a “feature request” over in Ideas, the fact that the “Prev” and “Next” buttons can not currently be used to switch chapters in .mkv files, would qualify as a bug. :wink:

RoofingGuy wrote:

Actually, on closer reading of that section of the manual that I pasted, something occurs to me…

It says “Prev” and “Next” can be used to skip amongst chapters “if the video file supports chapters”.

Matroska supports chapters.

Therefore, despite the dozens of times it has been posted as a “feature request” over in Ideas, the fact that the “Prev” and “Next” buttons can not currently be used to switch chapters in .mkv files, would qualify as a bug. :wink:

MKV chapters works fine for me, but unfortunately most people don’t actually utilize it when making MKVs.

You could always add them yourself using one of the many tools though. The 10min incriment is good enough imo.

Personally I think WD should map the 10 min previous/next option to the Up & Down arrows and maybe make the Left & Right arrows map to a 30 second incriment.

If anyone is familiar with XBMC you will know how handy this is. The 30 second skip is ideal for skipping show intros, recaps, and commerials.

Are you sure they work for you?

I just double-checked, before disagreeing.

I can select the chapters just fine in .mkv files, using the “Option” button, but “Prev” and “Next” still just jump to the previous and next .mkv in the folder, they don’t hop amongst chapters within the file that’s playing.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Are you sure they work for you?

I just double-checked, before disagreeing.

I can select the chapters just fine in .mkv files, using the “Option” button, but “Prev” and “Next” still just jump to the previous and next .mkv in the folder, they don’t hop amongst chapters within the file that’s playing.

Yes, I just used it 5 minutes ago, Back to the Future 1080p MKV with chapters. They skip just fine and when you click on the Chapter selection under Options it shows all of the chapters and times which are all selectable.

Like I said though, most MKV (scene releases, or whatever you want to call them) don’t bother adding chapters. If you open the file in one of the MKV editing programs you will see if it has chapter searching and can also add your own if you’d like. I never cared enough to go through all of that though, expecially with the 10 minute skipping.

This forum is for both Live and Live+, the released F/W is the same for both devices.  The UPnP renderer is same on both devices.  The only difference is a lack of DMR certification for Live (with respect to notifications / volume), what was already stated is irrelevant to described problems / bugs.

Yes the forum is for both devices, but this thread is about the Live not the Live +. Either way not implementing OPTIONAL features is not a bug, just a design decision. If you do not like that decision, go and post a request in the Ideas forum.

Hi,

First, my movie folder contain both movies and their icons as jpg files, all icons are named exactly as their movies.

1. When connected to movies folder on my PC via network shares: the icons are being showed - unnecessary.

Moreover, the icons are showed before the movies themselves so sometimes it is very confusing.

1. When to media server such as Windows7 the JPG icons are absent. The only icon that appears the the first frame of the movie - please add JPG icon support.

2. When connected to moved on external HDD that connected directly to wdtv live, everything is ok.

We have temporarily blocked USB mounting of Advanced Format (4k sector) HDD greater than 2TBs.

when will this update be available for us?, im eager to use my seagate goflex 3tb…all of my movies are stored in 3tb HDD. at the moment, im using a 8gb USB in order to see my movie using my wd tv live media player. its time consuming and very frustrating. Pls. fix this as soon as posible…thank you

Installed the new Firmware last night (1.04.22) after reading the release notes. My hope was an improved experience with .vob over a shared drive, as I noticed previously that if you have several vob files for a movie on a share, the WD TV Live does not automatically move from one to the next (which it does if on an USB drive). Unfortunately I wasn’t able to prove this out because of 2 issues that got in the way:

1-Navigation is now messed up. Using the up down arrows on the remote starts the navigation list going like a slot machine- and where it stops becomes a game for pressing enter. Tried it on a second remote (Harmony) and got the same result. I will try it again today with a USB keyboard and see what results I get.

2- In fastforwarding at 16x so I could get near the end of 1 vob to see if it would go automatically to the next, the file makes it about 25 min into a 30 min vob and then goes back to the start. Tried it on 2 separate files and got the same result.

If these issues remain, I will be checking the posts on how to revert to a prior firmware release.

sureshock wrote:

We have temporarily blocked USB mounting of Advanced Format (4k sector) HDD greater than 2TBs.

when will this update be available for us?, im eager to use my seagate goflex 3tb…all of my movies are stored in 3tb HDD. at the moment, im using a 8gb USB in order to see my movie using my wd tv live media player. its time consuming and very frustrating. Pls. fix this as soon as posible…thank you

• 1 !!!

I have a 3GB WD MyBook drive here waiting to be connected…bit odd, WD has issues connecting/using their own drives with their media players… :wink:

Also, hope to see the USB hub support very soon…didn’t someone mention this is due to be added with the next update??  (hope it’s not again 3 month till then)

spoonman wrote:

OK, it just came on and I can verify that method does in fact work. Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

When was this feature added? It’s something that should be printed in large fonted BOLD letters!

NEW FEATURE!
Fast forward or rewind in 10 minutes incriments!!
:stuck_out_tongue:

This feature has been there for ages. It was quoted in the orginal tips.

http://www.wdtvlive.com/articles/view/10/Did_you_know_Quick_WD_TV_tips

A quick question - what am I missing?

What is the difference between this beta release dated 03/08/11 and the one from a week ago dated 03/03/11 ?

They both have the same version number in the .ver file so are they in fact, the same?

Thanks! 

Yes, they’re identical.

WD deemed the beta release stable enough for wider distribution, and pushed it public.

richUK wrote:

spoonman wrote:

OK, it just came on and I can verify that method does in fact work. Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

When was this feature added? It’s something that should be printed in large fonted BOLD letters!

NEW FEATURE!
Fast forward or rewind in 10 minutes incriments!!
:stuck_out_tongue:

This feature has been there for ages. It was quoted in the orginal tips.

http://www.wdtvlive.com/articles/view/10/Did_you_know_Quick_WD_TV_tips

That was and still is a BAD way to implement the skip. I would rather have it on the skip buttons - mode straight forward!

Nobody cares to skip directly to another video while watching one. Everybody expects rather to be able to skip in increments DIRECTLY pushing the “skip” buttons, without going thru FFWD before.

1 Like

I have the same problem that the lastest update… The new version says that the problem with the AC3 through HDMI is fixed, but only runs in stereo mode… I am very unhappy with the last two updates.

I have downgraded to 1.02.21 … is very stable and hdmi with AC3 runs ok… the new features seems a dream… we have to wait a new firmware again… or not…

Cool! No Problems at all with this version for me. :smiley:

Although my feature request for general internet radio in the idea’s subforum has been marked as “unplanned” I actually consider it “solved” : the tunein application included now actually gives me all the radio stations I wanted, with a nice and easy interface too. :smiley:

Thanks a lot for this update!