New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live (12/30/10)

Upgraded… So far no issues, Wireless is also working fine.

WD HD TV Live with Sony Bravia LCD, HDMI 1.3c and D-Link wireless router and dongle.

Anton wrote:

Looks good.

Weather plugin much faster now :slight_smile:

Some of bugs:

While watching movie (or music via upnp) press poweroff on remote and looks like device now react on it anymore, then goes to reboot.

Looks like youtube plugins a little bit slower.

In some plugins translation combine with russian (my language in settings) and english. (flickr plugin words about 7 days intresting now is not translated into russian).

Additional:

Menu navigation sometimes becomes slow sometimes faster.(composite connection)
After starting play avi xvid file, push option button, option menu appear and icon of audiotracks have info: no audiochannel, but if i move menu < or > then it show correct audioinfo

What the [Edited].
Is it just me. Did they just add more apps with out fixing the [Edited] networking?
This is just my opinion, but, in a world that is moving fast towards a linux kernal in every electronic device (excluding computers) that is ever going to be manufactured, if a linux device cannot network with another linux device, then that device is a dead end product.
I’ve had it with this piece of [Edited] ■■■■. They have served up more firmware that has broken something than they have that has fixed something.
I would like to thank all of the WD shills on this site that keep blaming the network issues on the user and his setup (which worked before the firmware upgrades and not after) and not the firmware upgrade. I would also like to thank
TonyPh12345  for posting the FUD on the D-Link Boxee Box. It just sounded too much like pure anti competitor misinformation. So I tried one.
Other than weak HDMI HDCP support (it appears to not supply a strong enough signal to do passive passthrough on an HDMI AV receiver, but it could be cable length also, over 35’, but I digress) it is 10 times the device that the WDTVLive is.
-built in wifi.
-155 apps included and you can download and install more 3rd party apps.
-it serves up local online TV for your area. Almost 500 separate shows in my area.
-it serves up movies from free online movie archives as well as local online movies.
-there is a “Watch Later” plugin for your browser so that you can throw internet media to you Boxee to watch later.
-because it uses a web browser interface, you can watch all Youtube videos. Videos that get blocked on the WDTVLive do not get blocked on the Boxee.
-just configure the SMB Client once and you have access to ALL network shares (not just Windoze7 shares).
-it does DVD iso menus perfectly as well as avi, divx, xvid, mp4, mkv, mov, ogg and m3u playlists(which does not have any noticable pause when switching songs, all though you can not browse the playlist). Some mp4 and mkv files that never worked on the WDTVLive, have no problems playing on the Boxee.
-it plays all of the content on Mediafly unlike the WD device, which plays less than half.

I would also like to thank the users that posted their problems, so that I knew I was not a single unhappy customer, and also thanks again to the MODs who blamed those problems on those users.
It appears to me that they have completely forgone the alpha testing cycle for this software/firmware and are relying totally on the user as their testers.
It was a learning experience if nothing else.
It will be a very long time before I ever consider buying anything from WD again.

Once again THANK YOU to all users that posted their problems.
To WD, what an abysmal programming failure.
Goodbye.

kmcewen wrote:

And you forgot to mention the complaint session going on in the Boxee forum about what it does not do, even though it was promised.  Oh, and if memory does not fail me it  is 3x more expensive than the WDTV.

kmcewen:  Thansk for that…   Can’t wait to see you in the Boxee Forums ranting there, too…   BTW, I own a Boxee Box as well.   It’s collecting dust, and will go back to Amazon shortly…   

If you think the Boxee plays DVD MENUS PERFECTLY, then you apparently have NO CLUE how a DVD is supposed to work.   There’s a huge number of Jira tickets on DVD malfunctions.   Boxee can’t even render the aspect ratios correctly with anamorphic content, and menu pallette a tags get corrupted.   Boxee can’t even do Chapter Skip.

But, that’s neither her nor there…  Enjoy your Boxee!

DVD playback now lags like crazy, I downgraded to 1.03 and it works perfectly.

See other post about this http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/DVD-and-iso-files-lagging-like-crazy/td-p/107526

My kids have been watching Powerpuff GIrls DVDs all afternoon.   Over wireless and not a single hiccup…  I wish I could figure out what is so different between your setups and mine…  :(

Yes, VOB files are still messed up, but for me, ISOs never were…  

yoshi123 wrote:

DVD playback now lags like crazy, I downgraded to 1.03 and it works perfectly.

See other post about this http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/DVD-and-iso-files-lagging-like-crazy/td-p/107526

No, DVD playback may have problems on your network, but it is not an inherant problem of the WDTV. I just spent a lot of the afternoon testing DVD playback across a network and here is what I found.

If  I PLAY an ISO across the network it works perfectly, including DVD menus.

If I PLAY a VIDEO_TS folder across the network, I get the main video stream and it works perfectly.

If I try and play an individual VOB in a VIDEO_TS folder then yes there are problems. Stuttering and jerky video. But I ask myself why would I even do this when the other two ways of playing the DVD are so much easier. 

For reference-

• the video files were stored on a USB drive shared from my WDTVLive2 device

• I played the videos on my WDTVLive1 unit using network shares, streaming from the WDTVLive2 unit 

• both devices were connected through a 100mb switch

The WDTV devices are not paticularly stellar in their SAMBA performance but they do work for me. If you are having problems then it may not originate from the WDTVLive, but rather your network configutation.

Hi

As HDcube said: the network streaming for mkv files seems to get better (according to bird scene; f. 1.03.49 <-> 1.04.17).

But for streaming vob files (+menu)  i have to say the firmware is unusable. I can’t  understand wd’s firmware policy. You give the people facebook and other addons, but forget to solve the real essential problems (before).

My sad suggestion to the dev. team: Take the first f. 1.01.00 (never had lip sync issues with this firmware!), integrate the mkv header solution + dvd menu and i would be really happy! After that you can add other usable things … like facebook. :slight_smile:

Greetings

parnott100 wrote:

No, DVD playback may have problems on your network, but it is not an inherant problem of the WDTV. I just spent a lot of the afternoon testing DVD playback across a network and here is what I found.

If  I PLAY an ISO across the network it works perfectly, including DVD menus.

If I PLAY a VIDEO_TS folder across the network, I get the main video stream and it works perfectly.

If I try and play an individual VOB in a VIDEO_TS folder then yes there are problems. Stuttering and jerky video. But I ask myself why would I even do this when the other two ways of playing the DVD are so much easier. 

But what about the many of us who want to access the DVD menu from a VOB?  As far as I know the only way to access a DVD menu via a VOB is to press Enter on an individual VOB file.  By doing so, the Movie stutters. This did NOT happen in 1.03.x.  Pressing play on a VOB will not show the DVD menu.

kmcewen wrote:

What the [deleted].
Is it just me. Did they just add more apps with out fixing the [deleted] networking?

Its just you - they didn’t add any apps (and networking working here)

I have just installed the 1.04.17 firmware. Reluctantly…

BRAVO!

Everything works! Including the SPDIF is fixed! HDCD flag passes correctly to the receiver and that means that the PCM is bit perfect once again (was broken since the first 1.03)!

Network shares are quicker than anytime (Windows7 x64). And this via one Trendnet TEW-632BRP router and one Belkin hub.

Thank you!

Maybe reboot your network… As in reboot your modem and router and the network function will work. That would be more of a Windows problem than a WDTV problem. Use some common sense.

• Network Share streaming performance is MUCH better than FW 1.04.10

• This FW creates a WD_TV folder with video resume information on all my Network Shared directories that I have played videos from…interesting…

• HDMI resolution settings still being “forgotten randomly” for my Panasonic plasma

I have upgradede and have experienced a few issues, they where also present in the former version.

My setup is:

Media content on a Synology DS209+II NAS

The NAS wired to switch where everything is connected.

The WD TV is also wired to the switch.

I can access internet and the NAS from the WD TV.

But these issues are very annoying:

• I can’t play ISO files, it reports something about unsurported format, some earlier version had no problems

• When playing VIDEO_TS folders the dvd menu starts fine but it is not possible to navigate in the dvd menu so to play a dvd film stored in a VIDEO_TS fiolder I have to play the VOB files individually. I would rather have the film to start directly than having the posibility to view the dvd menu.

I overall, I must say that the last 2 firmware upgrades have made my WD TV Live a lot less usefull.

Anyone who has the same issues or knows any solutions ?

1 problem for me:

i set the unit to 720p60 and rgb high.  if i switch to my tv hdmi on my receiver, then back to my player (or switch the player off and on again) it resets settings to 720p50 and rgb goes to the ‘auto’ setting which does not give me the same quality as rgb high (the colours are not as brights and blacks not as black).

everytime i switch the thing on i have to go in and change the settings-  it’s driving me crazy!

apart from that, i love it.

Hi,

What is Playon?

Thanks

Choufmarcel wrote:

Hi,

What is Playon?

Thanks

http://www.playon.tv/playon

Things are much improved, but WDTV  box still shows *.wtv files that it can’t play - or at least plays some of before going into slow motion. I wish you would not show what you can’t play because i convert my files to DVR-MS - but you don’t show full file names, so i can’t tell which is the WTV file and which is the DVR-MS file - this is using the Media Server view.

If I use the network share view, then i can see file names, but I can’t sort by series or see episode names. 

The 1.03 Beta releases hid the WTV files… You guys need better source code management so you don’t re-introduce old bugs and remove features inadvertantly.

I am having several issues that I have not seen anyone else talking about: netflix does not always work, maybe 40-50% of the time. I can see my que but when I try to play something, the screen goes blank. I can then view Netflix fine on my Wii so i know my network and Netflix setup is OK.

Also, the audio does not work thru the HDMI cable. I view my video thru HDMI but I get the audio from the composite out and feed that audio into a seperate audio input on the TV.  So far, none of the updates have addressed any of these issues.

The sound was working for the first month or so but not in the last 2 months.

I have the plus unit with a Sharp TV and wired internet. Other than those problems, I love the unit and have no problems playing any type of file from either HD, memory card or network share.

Any advice or help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks.