New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live (12/30/10)

I am having a similar problem with m2ts files.

The video starts without sound, then after some seconds (seems to vary) it will freeze and the sound will start. When the sound has caughtup to the video it will start again.

Upgraded to V1.04.17 and now I can’t access my network shares (Windows Server 2008). The WDTV box keeps saying “There is no media in the current folder”. I have tried to reenter credentials and rebooted the WDTV a number of times but nothing helps…

Everything worked perfectly with the 1.04.10 firmware… :cry:

1 Like

I am having the same problem with the m2ts files shot with a Canon Camcorder - vixia hfs10. Downgrading.

1 Like

j00ce wrote:

Turned on my WD TV Live HD this morning, saw the new update, stuck it on.

Whoops.

First, the system seems to have a problem with Samba - after startup, the first time it tries to access *any* share, it reports a failure.  The second time, it works fine.  Annoying, but bearable (and it also happens with the previous firmware version).  The network is running a mix of Windows XP, Vista and Win7 machines - there’s also a virtualised Linux machine, but it doesn’t have any network shares.

The second and bigger problem is that it’s no longer able to play media files properly (e.g. divx-encoded AVI files): if you navigate to one and press the “ok” button, the screen goes black and you get the circular “loading” display, bu the file doesn’t actually load.  However, the preview screen loads fine and if you maximise the preview to make it full-screen, it continues to play smoothly.  But if you then fast-forward the video, the player takes 10-15 seconds to recover after you press play to restore 1x playback.

Is the box now doing some sort of odd pre-parse on the files?  My wireless-N network is running at around 2mb a second, so there’s plenty of bandwidth for the SD-resolution stuff I’m streaming.

In any case, I think I’ll be downgrading the firmware this afternoon…

Disconnect the power cable from the device, wait a few seconds and plug it in again. This will fix what you describe and hopefully it won’t happen again.

1 Like

For the record - my 3TB drive worked just fine with partitions until this update. Have had to roll back. Bit not good.

BIG PROBLEM…

I use an external 3Tb drive to store all my media, and this update rendered it useless since the firmware only supports 2Tb dives…

Tech said they had problems with the hub corrupting larger drives.

HURRY up with the next firmware update so I can use my 3Tb drive again!

I cant use my 3tb external disk too.Is any way for the next firmware to passthrough dts-ma?Because the true-hd passthrough succesfully.I think most of the people need dts-ma.

Just upgraded my two WDTV Lives: one connected wired, the other wireless. I play my media from a QNAP NAS which is music, photos and movies/videos mostly divx, mp4 and mkv’s. Upgrade went well, without a hitch. The wired one could not connect to the QNAP after the upgrade. I turned auto connect off, and it then connected; then I turned the auto connect back on and it works just as before now. I was the most worried about the wireless since I had read lots of complaints here, but the wireless had absolutetly no issues connecting to my QNAP after the upgrade.  Nice job WD!  Al

I upgraded to the current firmware.  Everything went accordingly, but I lost audio for all my mkv files.  AVI files and music files have no audio issues only mkv’s.  Guys got any advice?

Ugraded yesterday before watching a movie with the missus…

Had been about 6 months since I upgaraded… and thought… eh… what the heck… Installed, dId a factory reset and all… wrong move… not a happy wifey!

My problems:

• No or intermittent audio over HDMI. I have tried all 3 audio settings… tried 3 different HDMI cables… played MP3, played movies over SAMBA… nothing… as I am writing this, every 30-50 seconds I hear about 0.5-1 second of audio blast through my theatre speakers… then nothing…
  • Tried playing a movie over samba… stutter stutter stutter… over a wired network… tried again his morning to diagnose… this time played OK… but no sound.
  • I can not stream from my iSedora (MAC) DLNA Server… I can navigate and select a movie… then the screen goes blank… then nothing… have to ‘return’ to get it back… Then I plug my Panasonic Blu-Ray and play form the same DLNA server with no problems…

I have a HDMI switch the that my various HDMI connections go to to break out the audio to a TOSLink (Projector and amp for sound), and if I look at the end of the optical cable when I have the WD Live HD connected no ‘red light’ is coming out of the TOS cable… when I select any of my other devices ther is ‘red light’ coming form the end of teh TOS canle, indicating that there is HDMI audo data…

What the heck is going on at WD? every firmware seems to be getting worse and worse!

G./

This version gives me sound issues, movies sound really distorted. Downgraded to last firmware. Hope WD fix this as the flingo thing works better in that firmware.

*update- reinstalled the firmware, its now working properly…

Update:

• it still forgets the resolution setting (i set it to 1080p/60Hz, after few reboots it goes back to 720p/50Hz) - this is working falwlessly on fw version 1.02.21.! Every version after this one has this problem.

• tried to eject my WD passport hard drive when i was listening to a mp3… the music stopped but it froze on the progress circle displaying “ejecting”… i waited for a few minutes but nothing happened (no resposne t remote control) so i had to pull out the power cord out of the wd tv live.

• sometimes i get the “unable to play this file, read user manual bla bla” for MKV’s… then i reboot wd tv live and then the same file works without problems…

And yes, I’ve plugged it of for more than 15 minutes, restored the settings to factory defaults, and reset it with a toothpick :slight_smile:

I’m rolling back to 1.02.21…

Had the same issue with the network settings. The automatic settings tool did not work and I can’t access my NAS now.

I checked the router setting and WD does find the correct IP, subnet, gateway and DNS settings, but I’m not sure why it won’t find my NAS connected to these.

Should I change the IP and so on setting to that of the NAS instead of the general internet IP settings?

And how can I downgrade? I tried reset factory settings and it just comes back up as the same machine (ie you WD is up to date, no updates available.)

thanks for a great machine, but I’d love it if upgrades actually improve it and not ruin a good night of watching films and shows.

Hi all,

Upgraded to the last firmware and detected one strange issue with sound:

After seeing some videos on You Tube all the audio (from internet and also from local videos) was very loud and distorted, almost like feedback. After a factory reset all become well again. I was unable to reproduce it.

By the way, the portuguese (from Portugal) translation still has some russian on the last searches on the You Tube.

Apart from this all plays well. I have a wired connection by I’m not streaming anything, I only use internet and local attached media.

Regards 

Just upgraded,

Everything works flawlessly, so far. Have tested a set of video/audio/image files and all works fine (including some exotic combinations like ogg and mkv with multiple audio in vorbis and mp3).

Even noticed that an issue with chopped audio on files from my camera (MJPG-avi) was resolved. (the video still is a little bit jumpy, but the audio now works fine)

Issues still to be resolved (all minor issues)

- slow startup of movie playback (~10seconds) this was introduced only in the 1.04 line. Before that the playback started almost immediately. Strangely there is no delay in the playback of the preview window and is much faster to just go fullscreen with the preview window than starting the playback with the enter on the file.

• changing audio language inside an OGG video container (audio is vorbis) took several seconds (~5s). I haven’t noticed this delay before and is not present for the same scenario with a MKV container

• I have a DVD iso image. plays fine but if I navigate through the dvd menu and then select the “resume movie” in this menu the playback exites back to the folder.

I tested only streamed media, no local files, no attached local storage, wired ethernet through an adsl modem (vigor 2600vg)

Network storage is a Linux box (ubuntu 9.10) samba version 3.4.0

And also tested the internet media plugins (deezer/flingo/youtube/acuuwether …)

nordic wrote:

BIG PROBLEM…

I use an external 3Tb drive to store all my media, and this update rendered it useless since the firmware only supports 2Tb dives…

Tech said they had problems with the hub corrupting larger drives.

HURRY up with the next firmware update so I can use my 3Tb drive again!

• *> Just an idea: what if you split your 3Tb drive into two 1.5Tb partitions?

I also lost my USB wireless connection after the update. It looks like that the unit will not try to get a IP address.

Same here, after update no wireless.  So I guess I have to roll back to previous via USB. 

This device so far has been a hassle.

Thumbnail mode, small icon indicating the folder is in the middle of the picture and not on the edge!
The on-screen keyboards to usb keyboard arrows do not work!

Tantos amigos estão reclamando sobre a nova firmware mas para mim está tudo funcionando como antes, tanto as fotos, músicas e videos, em todos os formatos, está tudo perfeito.

Nesse momento estou assistindo ao show da Sheryl Crow, um arquivo mkk com dois audios e está tudo lindo.

Precisamos ter paciência com o pessoal da WD, pois eles deverão resolver todos os problemas, como sempre fazer.

Isso de dizer que o WDTV é um lixo é algo ridículo, pois é um excelente aparelho de media center.

Abraços

So many friends are complaining about the new firmware but for me everything is working as before, both the photos, music and videos in all formats, everything is perfect.
Right now I am watching the show from Sheryl Crow, mkk a file with two audio and everything is beautiful.
We must have patience with staff from WD, as they should solve all problems, as they always do.
This WDTV to say that’s garbage is ridiculous, because it is an excellent media center device.
Hugs