New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.17_V for WD TV Live (12/30/10)

This thread is about WDTV Live, not the"plus" one… What firmware did you install?

A small folder icon indicating slipped!
Ago, this is the firmware was a problem!

Here’s what I thought.

Something strange with deezer plugin, cannot logon after some time.

Need to delete account from wdtv and add again.

I made network scan of wdtv with OS detection:

nmap -A ip_of_wdtv

So while watching movie, device goes stop,  try to eject usb and etc.

Intresting :slight_smile:

Looks like it’s some remote controlling system on port 30000, if i sent s via telnet when connected it stops.

i - infobar

x - poweroff

m - option menu

P.S. Some users report about problems on this and previuos firmware with strange cursor moving on screen when russian language choosed (hw revision -01). On english all fine.

1 Like

The annoying bug with HDMI RGB level is still present. The setting gets reset to “RGB high” every time I power on my WDTV Live, resulting in too dark picture and black crush on my LCD TV. Connection is HDMI-DVI cable to Philips 32PFL9966. Please fix, this was not a problem in 1.02.21!!!

Christian_IA wrote:

But these issues are very annoying:

• I can’t play ISO files, it reports something about unsurported format, some earlier version had no problems
  • When playing VIDEO_TS folders the dvd menu starts fine but it is not possible to navigate in the dvd menu so to play a dvd film stored in a VIDEO_TS fiolder I have to play the VOB files individually. I would rather have the film to start directly than having the posibility to view the dvd menu.

I have not yet upgraded to the new firmware, but had encountered problems playing .iso files from my Synology 209 after the last upgrade, until I realized that I could not play them from the DLNA media server. I had to create a network share on the Synology box for the video folder and attach to the network share from the WDTV Live – technically a shortcoming of DLNA specs rather than some issue with the WDTV. I don’t know if you’ve already done all that, but figured I would throw it in. :slight_smile:

Finally i can watch movies without sluttering on my wd and fixed problem when box is connected via network cable

Problem is still persist on wireless connection:

Router is Trendnet TEW-632GR

Wireless Adapter is Lynksys WUSB100

I also turn off laptop and other equipments from wireless and its only wd on wireless and server ( connected with network cable to router Trendnet )

Also thumbalines with icons in center of folder.jpg picture is problem

Sound is good and works fine to me !

ISO files and DVD menu works fine also this time 

Notes:

I upgrade directly WD from internet first was installed 1.03.49 than 1.04.10 than 1.04.17 than i Reset settings to deafult factory than i turn on WD and with pin from left side reset tham after than i turn tham on and turn tham off and dissconect from power 1 hour turn tham on again configure and again problem !

Also try once more reset and reconfigure again but did not help me !

Werid is that works on cable but on wireless doesnt both router and usb adapter is N !

Is it problem in wireless this time ? 

I dont need facebook and other things playON … just need this box to watch MKV, MP4, AVi … and rest  formats for movies video clips and sometime mp3 files 

Sorry, I will re-post in the Live section.

So far, I have updated with all of the Plus updates, except the last one.

I am also getting much better preformance through network shares than using 1.4.10 firmware.  I am still getting the random resolution resets.  If I leave my box on over night I usually end up with it reseting from 1080/24 to 1080/60i.  I just want to say i am really happy with the product  and the ability of the wdtv team to resolve firmware problems. keep up the good work

this is exactly what i want to happen. i set mine to rgb high then it is is reset to auto (which does not select rgb high) instead of keeping my setting of rgb high.   you can have my problem if i can have yours!

upgraded firmware and lost wireless.  Seams to be happening a lot.  Now I’ve got a brick instead of a media player.

I also upgraded and have a wireless Airlink 150 AWLL5077 which is a supported device and it worked prior to the latest upgrade, but now I don’t have a wireless option and can’t stream any wireless content.  My WDTV Plus HD is now a paperweight and I have an upset wife :frowning:  I just got this box 2 weeks ago, and needless to say I am not happy…

been looking for a reason to sell this thing and buy the Roku so I can do amazon VOD.  Looks like I found it.

1 Like

I get no audio when I’m watching flingo. I’m using component and optical for connections.

update: ok, issue is fixed if you unplug the device.  no idea what this does differently than rebooting.

I am using DLink “DWA-125” adapter with DLink Router “DIR-300” and it is working OK after new FW upgrade. No other problems in new FW except that it switches to 720p whenever powered on.

WD HD TV LIVE with Sony Bravia LCD (EX-400) connected via HDMI 1.3c and DLink “DWA-125” adapter with DLink Router “DIR-300”. :smiley:

Tried hard reset with the button and reset to factory settings and still no iso playing :frowning:

The only changes where an even slower user interface.

The 2 last updates are the worst updates I have ever experienced on some electronics and has rendered my WD TV Live next to useless…

@WD, fix the problems, please…

Thank you, but as it worked before the last 2 updates it has nothing to do with the DLNA.

But I will look into it but I have always used it with network shares and not DLNA because of the large limitations in DLNA.

I will try via an usb hdd then it should show if it is the DLNA functionalty or the firmware that limits the performance.

This update made things even WORSE than the last two updates.

Now, my video files stop playing EVERY TEN MINUTES, instead of just once or twice during playback.

I’ve got 25 days left before my warranty runs out.  Do you guys think you can get a working firmware before then?

I like this device, but it no longer is a usable device since the last three firmware updates. 

drdsouza wrote:

WDTV Live is the best player for online *internet* contents (it has the best YouTube support of all players I mentioned). However,for playing back contents stored in my NAS, I have to say that WDTV Live is the worse player of all the ones I have today. It is impressive how a huge company as WD can deliver a so half-backed product…

I was really expecting that WD would release new firmwares that would improve WDTV Live, but this is not what I am seeing. Each new firmware is more a regression than an evolution. Currently I am not recommending WDTV Live to any of my friends that are on the market for a media player…

Sorry for venting it here, but that’s my impression.

Cheers,

dsouza

I bought mine almost a year ago, and have been using it exclusively to watch local media files on a WD World Book 1TB NAS.

It was a little flaky at first, but then they issued a FW update in march of 2010, and after that I thought this was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I bought a few as gifts during the year, and recommended it to dozens of friends.

Then they came out with the first of these latest updates in early November, and everything went to [deleted] All three of these latest updates have only made my device practically unusable, or at least utterly annoying to use.  EVERY video I watch, now, stops playing and returns me to the file menu.  The first two updates since November were at least tolerable, if the video was less than 30 minutes, I’d probably only have one or two drops.  This third and latest update has made the drops more reliable, they happen EVERY TEN MINUTES now.

This used to be exactly what it was sold for – an HD media player that could access any media on a USB drive or any PC on your network.

Now it sorta does that, if you don’t mind it dropping out on you every ten minutes.

I don’t know, but it almost seems like they are trying to turn this into an internet content device and make the local content unusable because they got pressure from copyright holders who fear this device is being used to watch pirated stuff.  But if that’s the case, they are screwing people like me who are trying to watch content that I have the rights to.

Maybe that’s not the case, but the fact still remains, the last three updates have been getting worse and worse, not better in any measure.

1 Like

essentialbeef wrote:

this is exactly what i want to happen. i set mine to rgb high then it is is reset to auto (which does not select rgb high) instead of keeping my setting of rgb high.   you can have my problem if i can have yours!

What connection cable and TV set do you use?

PhilLesh69 wrote:

This update made things even WORSE than the last two updates.

Now, my video files stop playing EVERY TEN MINUTES, instead of just once or twice during playback.

I’ve got 25 days left before my warranty runs out.  Do you guys think you can get a working firmware before then?

I like this device, but it no longer is a usable device since the last three firmware updates. 

If you look at the release notes for the current version, you will see that virtually none of the problems discussed in the long firmware threads for 1.04.10 has been fixed. The new firmware has most of the same problems along with some new problems. I have been waiting 5 months for fixes to problems that I could have fixed in one day (I am a video hardware/software engineer), so I would not count on ‘working firmware’ anytime soon.

Your best solution now, is to downgrade your firmware to 1.03.49, or 1.03.29. Some have rolled back all the way to 1.03.21.