New Release - Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 for My Book Live (11/17/11)

MINT! :wink:

Bear in mind this is a work-around. Me and you don’t yet know what is causing that log file to explode in size so you will need to keep an eye on it. Maybe every day you may have to erase it. The RAMLOG only has 20Mb allocated to it. Once that fills it disables itself so the log files get written directly to disc. This is where the MBL will stop going into standby mode with the green LED constantly flashing as the log file grows. Finally the system partition gets full-up and other services will begin to malfunction.

I don’t have this problem because of two reasons. I do not have any equipment manufactured by Apple on my network ans also I have stopped the AppleTalk networking service on my MyBook Live because I simply do not need it.

Western Digital sort of disagree with what I’ve done but to me stopping AppleTalk (netatalk) make things simpler.  Why have a protocol handler turned on when it’ll won’t be used?  If I want and need to use it I’ll simply turn that service on.

If RAMLOG fills up past 20Mb then you need to clear-up the log files and restart the ramlog and/or reboot your MyBook Live.

Best way to find out is using the . . .

df -h

. . . command.

Mine is currently showing 57% full. I keep an eye on it and if it gets to about 90% full then I’m manually clearing out the log files.  What I’ll do is use W.D.'s own facility to download all the log files to my computer and then I’ll do some log file pruning.

Another option is to adjust the cron configuration to perform log files clean-up procedure more than once every 24 hours.

I don’t want to start changing stuff within the NAS’s system partition in case it breaks any future firmware upgrade so right now I’m happy just to keep an eye on things and manually make adjustments as and how necessary.

and the ssh closed it’s possible??? is posible open the ssh for the other method??

i have closed and don’t possible enter in web configuration… fack…

Here lies a problem.  Is SSH is enabled then one has full access to the MyBook Live’s internals and problems can either be fixed or a temporary workaround implemented until W.D. release a more permanent fix.

If SSH is disabled and the Dashboard UI is bricked then I really don’t have an easy solution for you.

One solution is to open-up the MBL to attach the MBL’s disk to another computer to diagnose the problems, but then you wave bye-bye to your warranty and if it’s out of warranty W.D. might not wish to touch it because it’s been opened.  (The repair may cost.)

Second option is that you return your MBL back to W.D. for repair or replacement.

Really, and in all fairness, if the internal Linux operating system has not been messed with and faulty firmware has bricked something or the entire MBL then it should be repaired or replaced F.O.C.  Not my call.  Call W.D. technical support and get help from them.

myron, thanks for your answer.

I speak with the shop (pixmania-pro.com) and I send the next monday the hard disk for change to other…

i only use one day… jejejeje

thanks!!! and good new year to all !!!

When you get the new one, turn on SSH before you do anything else with it and DO NOT forward the MyBook Live’s port 22 to the Internet. You’ll have a chance to fix things if things go wrong with the replacement.

Hello all

Just updated my FW to this version - just to discover my network disc is no longer available for mounting inside Windows Explorer in W7.

Have tried to search for this problem, but has not succeded in finding guidance.

Anyone who know how the problem should be fixed - or how to phrase a search for this particular problem?

BR JoranG

hello, I send today my book live for replace a new one.

but, in the same momento i received one answer or WD service technicien for test one possible solution.

I copy here, for test… (it’s in spanish… sorry)

El departamento de ingeniería recomienda que realices el siguiente procedimiento:

• Click en inicio
  • En la casilla de busqueda escriba: cmd
  • Presiona enter para ir a la línea de comandos
  • alli escriba lo siguiente: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Presione enter
  • Una vez hecho esto, cierra la ventana y continue con los pasos abajo indicados:
  1. Intente acceder al My Book Live a través del puerto 9000. Por ejemplo:
    http://mybooklive:9000

Nota: Si usted ha cambiado el nombre del My Book, entonces reemplace el “mybooklive”, por el nombre que le ha asignado al NAS.

1. Cambie la configuración del Twonky:

a. Abra la interfase del shareSpac Open http://mybooklive.local:9000/config

b. En configuración básica click en compartir (Share), y en Content Locations, deshabilite todas las opciones

c. En la opción “Rescan in Minutes” , coloque un 0

d. Guarde los cambios
e. Vaya en Modo Avanzado o Advanced Setup > Media Receivers, deshabilite todas la opciones y guarde los cambios (Save Changes).

f. Click en Matenimiento y realice los siguiente:

i. Liempie los Logs

ii. Reinicie el Server/Sevidor

iii. Rebuild/Reconstruír la Database

Coméntenos los resultados por favor.

En caso de tener cualquier otra pregunta o consulta sírvase responder a este correo electrónico y estaremos encantados de atenderle.

Translation . . .

The engineering department recommended that you perform the following procedure:

• Click on Start
  • In the search box type: cmd
  • Press enter to go to the command line
  • There type: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Press enter
  • Once done, close the window and continue with the steps below:
  1. Try to access the My Book Live on port 9000. For example:
    http://mybooklive:9000

Note: If you have changed the name of My Book, then replace the “mybooklive” for the name you assigned to the NAS.

1. Change the Twonky configuration:

a. Open the Open ShareSpace interface http://mybooklive.local:9000/config

b. In basic configuration click share (Share), and Content Locations, disable all options

c. In the “Rescan in Minutes”, place a 0

d. Save the changes
e. Go to Advanced Mode or Advanced Setup> Media Receivers, disable all the options and save the changes (Save Changes).

f. Click killed and perform the following:

i. Liempie the Logs

ii. Restart the server / server

iii. Rebuild / Reconstruct the Database

Let us know the results please.

If you have any question and please answer this email and we will be happy to help.

thanks myron!!!

my english it’s very bad… jejejeje

please if someone does try and say it! I like if it is a solution if I update my new “my book live”…

Myron, jozemanue is this fix for a Mac box related issue?  If it is I am willing to try this.

The instructions are to sort out an issue with the Twonky media server. Used by loads of media players. Especially the media players that only understand the DNLA protocol

Is there no update on this?

I took the rather unorthodox method of turning the power to the unit on and off when I could no longer access the device via dashboard and this seems to have fixed it. Have now enabled SSH.

Thanks, but 

Can you give us any idea for the poor windows users that have no idea about Linux?

Thanks!!

smarco

Did you find how to fix your problem?

I have the same problem and can’t seem to get it fixed…

This thread has become long. Remind me what it is you want to do/know.

smarco wrote:

Thanks, but 

Can you give us any idea for the poor windows users that have no idea about Linux?

Thanks!!

smarco

My MBL is on firmware 01.02.12 with MioNet 4.3.1.13 and I cannot get it to auto update to 2.0+ as it just says ‘firmware is up to date’

Manual update via firefox or IE also doesn’t work as it will not upload the file ‘apnc-021009-124-20111113’ it just returns to the browse/upload screen.

Does anyone know why this is? Is my MBL too old? It’s a 1TB white light version.

Any help appreciated :smiley:

EDIT: Think this may be my error; looks like I must have a WD World Edition, not Live, hence I cannot get all the cool features of 2.0 :cry:

I have installed the firmware update.  Now the messages are first:

Something wrong with the volume’s CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode.

then the following which I suppose makes sense given the first message

The backup disk image “/Volumes/TimeMachine/Amos MacBook Pro.sparsebundle” could not be created (error 30).

HELP!

Tim84, you write that you have the white light version. I’ve only known there be a black MyBook Live. Are you posting in the right forum?  (Going to have to check W.D.'s web site to remind myself what NASs W.D. sell.)

Hi Myron, my mistake - it’s a MyBook World Edition I have, not MyBook Live

Different hardware in it and I guess the firmware will be reasonably different from the MyBook Live. Best ask the question in the correct forum.  :wink: