New Release - Firmware Version 02.10.09-124 for My Book Live (11/17/11)

hello!!!

I update my book live 2tb to this new firmware, and i have the problem of don’d possible open web configuration… appears a error 500 web page…

the hard disk work fine and the ip answer (i possible work and the data… but don’t possible configure nothing via web)

the ssh i have desactivated…

i have solution?? i have send to wd for replace my book for other new???

Effbook wrote:

Myron

I have the ssh enabled and even after a direct copy of firmware to device thru winScp and updating the device thru putty with updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb doesnot helped me.

I got a mail from device saying firmware succfully updated yet I dont have my UI back.Once I put my user id there is still a blank page.

Is it cos of cake and PHP framework which causing this trouble(as read thru some other thread?)

What ever it would this be fixed thru next firmware upgrade ? If we cant fix that thru firmware upgrade can sombody tell me how to fix it  thru ssh ?

Appreciate everyones help

-Eff

Try to download an older firmware version and then update your device with the old version. Before update it´s necessary to manually change the version number of the existing firmware. Use this command line with putty:

echo “020102020” > /etc/version

Purchased drive on 12-19-11 came with FW 02.03.01-024.

Used it a few days happy with it sleeping when it should.

Started setting up shares and WD2go, saw there was an update for the FW to 02.10.09-124, let it do the update.

All went fine with the update.

Now the drive does not standby.

Called support last night, had me do a Factory Restore, After 8 hours of inactivity, still not going to standby.

Now I have an empty drive that does not go into standby mode.

Will

I dont have this old version Firmware Version 02.02.02-020.Where to get the old version from?

Also if I go back does that  cause additional trouble ! Does this worked for you?

-Eff

I’ve noticed that some firmware upgrades also revise configuration filed and/or scripts.  You could downgrade your Firmware BUT if the downgraded firmware does not understand some upgraded configuration file or script then you’re going to make a bad situation worse.

1 Like

Myron

Downgrading was my last option to perform.But luckily you posted to edit the config file with right parameters that saved

by day.I dont need RMA.

One more thing my device works as is as before with out any issues.

One last problem however is - there is no LED activity .Could that also be due to some config files issues?

-Eff

This is my story:

• MBL works perfect

• ssh is active

• Update to Firmware Version 02.10.09-124

• LED flashes green, MBL doesn´t go to sleep mode

• can´t access Dashboard (Web UI)

approach:

• put firmware-file into directory “Public”

• access MBL via ssh (putty)

• try to update again manually with command
      "/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /shares/Public/apnc-021009-124-20111113.deb

• LED-light turns from flashing green into white but nothing more happened

• log shows the following information:
      “dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:  unable to fill /var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i with padding: No space left on
      device” (only 800 MB used)

• find out, that this error message could mean that there are no more free inodes

• command “df -i” shows that MBL has enough free inodes

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on

/dev/md1            125184   22106  103078   18%

/tmpfs                        1981       4    1977    1%

/lib/init/rw udev          1981     820    1161   42%

/dev tmpfs                 1981       1    1980    1%

/dev/shm tmpfs          1981      67    1914    4%

/tmp ramlog-tmpfs  5184   22106  103078   18%

/var/log /dev/sda4 30355200   12218 30342982    1%

/DataVolume

No further idea…

It was a hunch. Everyone was on about the firmware upgrade screweing the Dashboard UI and I could not find anything and then it dawned on me as soon as you posted the upgrade log file . . .

“What if there is a scipt that is packaged with the firmware upgrade file that is broken in some way?”

Western Digital is gonnma hate this but it not DOES seem that someone within the their firmware development department is responsible for all these drives having the Dashboard UI being bricked and/or the entire unit beiing bricked.

What makes it worse is that SSH is not enabled by default so without SSH access to the Linux OS for Mr. A. N. Other there is no option but to return the drive to be swapped.

I think that SSH access should be hard coded to be permanantly turned on and if the default password is “welc0me” for the default password to be the drive’s serial number.  This way if something fails then there is always a route to the back-end.

In your case the Dashboard UI may have been bricked because of a specific remote access configuration.  I have my remote access disabled and set at the default options.

I’m glad I managed to help and I hope that Western Digital do better qualiity testing before a firmware upgrade is released.

Us witnessing what’s happened here, it could be a possibility there is a scripting error that’s turned off your LED.

First see what colour the LED status is by using the command  . . .

cat /usr/local/nas/led_color

If the result is off then try command it to turn on manually using the following Linux command . . .

echo green > /usr/local/nas/led_color

Let us know what happens.

Effbook wrote:

Myron

Downgrading was my last option to perform.But luckily you posted to edit the config file with right parameters that saved

by day.I dont need RMA.

One more thing my device works as is as before with out any issues.

One last problem however is - there is no LED activity .Could that also be due to some config files issues?

-Eff

It also confirms that there are other faults within scripts within the MyBook Live with files related to the Apache2 web server that hosts the Dashboard UI because of files I saw created where they should not have and this was not a fault because of a firmware upgrade on my NAS.  It just happened and I spotted it and cleaned it up.

See: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WOAH-What-s-happened-here/td-p/311984

All of a sudden require.inc , apache_userlist , htgroup and alias.inc appeared in the root of directory of the NAS’s file system. All three being zero bytes in length.  These are quite critical to the operation of the Apache2 web server and and MyBook Live’s Dashboard UI.

This is somewhat worrying.

Questions first.

1. Do you have SSH access enabled?
  2. Is your Dashboard UI functioning?

user200 wrote:

Can you please explain how to edit the config file ? Thanks !

I have updated my post above:

1- yes

2- no

A few moments ago I deleted the files  2, a lias.inc , apache_userlist , htgroup and require.inc but still can´t access UI.

I’m assuming you have an SSH Telnet client (On Windows I use a program called PuTTY).  You will need such a program to be able to sign-on to the MyBook Live’s Linux command prompt.

Erasing those files was not the cure but may be a symptom of something else.  I think the file in question is /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini

You can use the friendly editor nano and the command line is . . .

nano /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini

Before you go diving into that configuration file, read this discussion thread first!!!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/How-I-unbricked-my-MBL-after-the-November-2012-firmware-update/td-p/317361

It’s possible you’ve got the same problem as someone else.

Myron,

cat /usr/local/nas/led_color - status is RED .

Drive is currently used with read operation.Drive some times displays RED.

echo green > /usr/local/nas/led_color - Tried this with diff color,even RED not giving any blink of LED.Apperas the unit is not responding to this command at all.

I strongly feel my LED is working but some script/command processor is screwed up somwhere which prevents is displaying right color.I might be totally wrong.

Apart from that I too observed the following entries under root.Should I remove these entries ?

2 (this is the file name) - with contents as //etc/nasglobalconfig.ini: line 1: [global]: command not found

alias.ini

apache_userlist

htgroup

require.inc

-Eff

Effbook, from what you’ve written it looks like the issue with the LED is due to a hardware design or assembly fault. With that command you’re telling the device driver that controls the LED what colour to display. IF I understand right the LED will only blink when it’s green. As it’s only the LED it’s really uo to you if you wish to RMA your NAS.

WIth the extra files you’re also seeing then it’s confirming that somewhere on the MyBook Live there IS a broken script as this happened when there was no formware upgrade in progress.  I’ve removed those files and my NAS is operating absolutly fine.  It’s not been rebooted/restarted since the last upgrade.

Since I’ve managed to exclude stuff I don’t want the SafePoint back-up to process I perform regular backups to my 500Gb NAS.  SSH NEVER gets turned off!

Those files are safe to remove, as you can see from my own NAS . . .

NAS:/# l
total 328
drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 65536 Dec 15 14:19 CacheVolume
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 65536 Oct 26 17:37 DataVolume
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:39 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 18 01:34 boot
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:34 debootstrap
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 2480 Dec 28 00:02 dev
drwxr-xr-x 80 root root 4096 Dec 30 03:10 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:34 home
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:39 lib
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Nov 14 05:40 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 13 23:11 media
drwxr-xr-x 20 root share 65536 Oct 12 13:06 nfs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:34 opt
dr-xr-xr-x 88 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 proc
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 16 01:38 root
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:39 sbin
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:34 selinux
drwxr-xr-x 20 root share 65536 Oct 12 13:06 shares
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:34 srv
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 0 Jan 1 1970 sys
drwxrwxrwt 10 root root 1280 Dec 30 13:40 tmp
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:40 usr
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root 4096 Nov 14 05:40 var
NAS:/#

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately it doesn´t work. The file /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini is empty and when I try to write something I can´t save because I get the message " Error writing /var/www/Admin/webapp/config/dynamicconfig.ini: No space left ". That reminds me of my attempt to manually install the firmware again. Finally I got the error message "dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:  unable to fill /var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i with padding: No space left on device " (of course the free space is about 1,2 GB).

What?  “No space left?”

Issue the following command and post the results onto this thread . . .

df -h

P.S.: Under no circumstances initiate/force a filesystem integrity check when the MBL boots as there will be a question asked by Linux’s filesystem checking utility on tty0 which is the serial console and as no networking is set-up at this point it’ll just wait for an answer it won’t get, so effectivley by forcing a file system check during Linux boot time you WILL brick your MyBook Live.

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail     Use%     Mounted on

/dev/md1              1.9G  1.9G     0       100%         /

tmpfs                     50M     0   50M           0%        /lib/init/rw

udev                      10M  6.7M  3.4M      67%        /dev

tmpfs                     50M     0      50M        0%        /dev/shm

tmpfs                     50M  2.7M   48M        6%        /tmp

ramlog-tmpfs        1.9G  1.9G     0       100%        /var/log

/dev/sda4              1.9T  818G  1.1T      45%       /DataVolume

I think I know what’s happened.  Possibly close to a solution.

Compare your disc free space with mine . . .

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 50M 0 50M 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 6.7M 3.4M 67% /dev
tmpfs 50M 0 50M 0% /dev/shm
rootfs 1.9G 897M 928M 50% /
tmpfs 50M 3.9M 47M 8% /tmp
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 10M 10M 50% /var/log
/dev/sda4 924G 431G 493G 47% /DataVolume

I think a log file has grown larger then the ramlog device’s 20M space. The main Linux system partition is full on your MBL.  Have a look in /var/log and see what are the sized of the files.

Issue this command and post the results to this thread . . .

l -h /var/log

MyBookLive:~# l -h /var/log

total 946M

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Aug 25  2011 apache2

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Aug 25  2011 apt

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm  944M Dec 31 18:13 daemon.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm   48K Dec 31 16:00 debug

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root adm   14K Dec 31 16:00 dmesg

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root adm   14K Dec 31 16:00 dmesg.0

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root    0 Aug 25  2011 dpkg.log

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root  713 Aug 25  2011 forked-daapd.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm  272K Dec 31 16:02 kern.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 lpr.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 mail.err

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 mail.info

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 mail.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 mail.warn

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm   16K Dec 31 16:17 mediacrawler.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm  272K Dec 31 16:06 messages

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm   16K Dec 31 16:06 miocrawler.log

drwxr-xr-- 2 root root 4.0K Aug 25  2011 news

-rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 4.0K Dec 31 16:00 ramlog

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm  276K Dec 31 16:06 rest_api.log

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4.0K Aug 25  2011 samba

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm  8.0K Dec 31 16:17 sshd.log

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Mar 24  2010 sysstat

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm   60K Dec 31 16:06 user.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root root    0 Aug 25  2011 version.log

-rw-r----- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 vsftpd.log

-rw------- 1 root root 2.0K Dec 31 16:06 wdalerts.log

-rw-r–r-- 1 root adm     0 Aug 25  2011 wdnas.log

The problem is what I thought it was and has been discussed elsewhere on this board.  Also Western Digital ARE aware about this issue.  (Are you using a MAC or a PC?)

(Ref: http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Huge-MBL-Operating-System-File-Could-It-Be-Preventing-Sleep/td-p/302320 )

Issue the following command and post the results here . . .

tail -n 50 /var/log/daemon.log

Next, make sure there are no open files between your computers and the MyBook Live and issue the following commands exactly as shown which will also preserve the log for later scrutiny.

mkdir /DataVolume/shares/Public/SavedLogFiles
mv /var/log/daemon.log /DataVolume/shares/Public/SavedLogFilesrm /var/log.hdd/daemon.logreboot

The saved daemon.log file will be under your Public directory and accessible to any computer on your network.

The problem is that daemon.log has become huge for some reason or other and it’s possible that W.D. may be interested to see what is in there.  The last 50 lines should show what the problem is or if the problem has actually cleared.

If the reboot command does not work then reboot your MyBook Live using the MyBook Live’s Dashboard UI or shut it down using WD’s QuickView.  If you shutdown the MyBook Live you’ll need to remove and re-apply  power.

At this point, you should have enough space on the system partition to perform a firmware upgrade.  Do it manually.  Don’t do an automatic update.  Then again, from what you may have seen on this thread, there seems to be a fault with the upgrade process.

Luckily you have SSH enabled!  :smiley:

I’m not sure if the rm command will erase it’s file , but if it does not then it should not be a problem.  Because the ramlog’s capacity has been exceeded it’s all being written directly to the disc which will also explain why you MyBook Live is not sleeping and the green LED is always flashing. As long as daemon.log moved to the user partition to free up space in the user partition then that should do the trick.

If you do not use any Apple branded computers on your network and it’s just Windows PCs then as soon as you can telnet back to the MyBook Live via. SSH then stop the Apple networking components within the MyBook Live as a temporary measure.  The command is . . .

/etc/init.d/netatalk stop

If memory serves me right what’s been revealed is something to do with the Apple protocol networking components going gaga and then the deamon log file fills up at very rapid rate and Western Digital’s firmware does not process/rotate log files until 06:25.

If you have to reboot your MyBook Live then netatalk will start as normal so on each restart or power-cycle you’ll need to issue the command to stop the netatalk service.  Yes, it is possible to permanantly stop it from starting but for now it’s best not to do that.

:smileyvery-happy: It works !!! I can access the dashboard, the LED stopped flashing green and the MBL turns to standby mode ! Myron - you are the man !! Thank you very, very much !! Without your great help I never managed this. Later on I will post step by step what I´ve done.