Keep getting Pink screen all the time

I have been using WD Media TV Live for almost 2 years now. Sometime back i started getting pink screen problem which refuses to go away and then dis-appears or re-appears misteriously.

I recently upgraded to 1.06.43_V but it has not made any difference.

I am using a Sony LCD (KLV-40X450A) which supports full HD and is a 10 bit panel with xvYCC deep color support, 100 Hz PAL and 120 Hz NTSC.

But i cannot set HDMI setting to 1080p 24 Hz or anything higher. Even if I try to force the change the settings does not get saved.

Some of the other issues in the system:

• Once you get a pink screen, the HDMI settings if changed to RGB High or Low does not get saved

• However, on forcing the RGB High the color does change back to normal, but when you play a movie there is no sound

• Switch off and on and the settings seem to have not been saved and Pink screen is back

Please let me know if i should revert firmware to an older version??

When you connect with an HDMI cable, the TV and the WD box are supposed to auto-negotiate the proper resolution/frequency and color space. However, as you found out, this handshaking does not always work. When the screen is pink, it is because the color space is set to YCbCr (YUV) instead of RGB. (I noticed in the latest firmware that WD has eliminated YCbCr, which was present in previous firmwares, and replaced it with YUV. Although they are not exactly the same, the the terms YCbCr and YUV are used interchangeably, leading to some confusion). You can go into the Audio/Video setup and manually set the resolution/frequency and color space, but unfortunately, the WD box will not remember the setting.

I have been posting about the problem of not remembering the video settings for over a year now, and it still has not been fixed. If a previous firmware version worked correctly, then it is probably a lot easier for you to use the older version. Otherwise, you will have to set up the video every time that you turn the box off and on again. BTW, most TVs use RGB Low as the correct setting.

Another alternative is to always leave the WD box on once it is set up.

It is really strange that WD is not able to find a solution for this and it has become a real pain off late.

Changing the setting to RGB Low for changing display back to normal from Pink does not work either, because for some reason there is no audio output from WD over the HDMI cable (when it starts with Pink). I am forced to turn off and on again…and the pain continues, unless mysteriously (after some frantic efforts) the screen displays normally (no Pink) along with the sound!!

Very poor customer support. I never expected this from WD!!

I have experimented a bit with the versions of firmware.

The decive keeps defaulting to 480p resolution and it was extremely slow. It did not work.

This release does not give a pink screen with HDMI cable. However, there is no sound!! It does sometimes magically work fine. But a pink screen never shows up. Again, the device just cannot remember the settings. Tried with component cables provided with the Media TV player. With component cables it shows green screen most times (YUV). Switch off and switch on multiple times…if you are lucky…it may show normal blue screen (RGB). Try to force RGB settings the stupid device will just not remember any settings.

This version and all above consistently give pink screen. I think this device just cannot work with 10 bit panels. Some of my friends who are using 8 bit panels have upgraded to later releases and seem to be ok. Also, the device fails to remember the settings…just keeps on defaulting to same settings.

I think this WD qualifies for worst software support award if there is one out there. Some support people did call my number and they just give bookish **bleep** of try this and try that…bad listeners. Even went to the extent that the device is old and we don’t support. Then why even mention that firmware can be upgraded if you cannot support??

I have WD Media TV Live, 2 X 1TB WD passport drives and a 4TB WD MyBook. I don’t know why a great hardware company is letting some software people ruin their reputation beyond repair.

Does anyone want to reply?

Does anyone own products here?

Does this company have any management team that is interested in brand and marketing?

Looks like existing management team of Western Digital is selling its business and logging out. If they are, then they should do that fast so that someone sensible can come in and gain customer confidence back.

What a waste.

I see you have tried different firmware versions.  Many of us prefer the v1.05.04 as the best of the firmware versions for the WD Live Plus and old Live.  Have you tried it yet?

I have tried few versions above 1.04.31 but the screen always appeared in pink. But i will surely give this one a try. Thanks for help!!