Folder Metadata trick for FW2.04.13

Metadata for Folders in Firmware 2.04.13 does not display anything except for the Title.

Everything else has “N/A” beside it.

Here is a 'Work Around" solution. This only works in “Gallery View”

“Die Hard Quadtriloy” is a “Folder” which contains all 4 Movies

Before:

After:

The “Trick” is you will see in the 1st Screenshot …

Rename your “Folder” by adding a video file extension eg.

From this:  Die Hard Quadrilogy

To This    :  Die Hard Quadrilogy.avi

then supply an xml eg.  Die Hard Quadrilogy.xml  (You can simply edit an existing one and manually fill out the info)

altrernate screenshot links:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=sk3qke4n77vd5ji&thumb=4

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=wgysocfay3yy6c8&thumb=4

7 Likes

I can confirm that this works in FW 2.07.17 also.  However, for those wondering, backdrops will not display using the xml .

Awesome, as always I am amazed how you find these things.  Great job

oooooooooooh!!! :dizzy_face: this is a brilliant find! I would of never thought of that! Kudos

I couldn’t get it to work, does it work with the newest firmware?

for all my movies it’s not an issue as i just put all my movies, jpgs, and xml’s in a single folder

but for all my movie ‘boxsets’ like die hard, austin powers, american pie, and my two dozen other 'trilogy’s along with my 23 james bond movies, this would really really be great because i have to put all of them within their own trilogy folder.

@ Pulazki

“I couldn’t get it to work, does it work with the newest firmware?”

Answer: (Read Above)

This example, both reside on the root of the hdd.

Back to the Future Trilogy.avi  -------  This is a Folder which contains 3 Movies and their Xml’s

Back to the Future Trilogy.xml -------  This is a XML which contains the Movie Information (this file,is not placed inside the folder).

Also ensure the edited XML contains the correct ‘title name’. eg.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Back to the Future Trilogy PG 1989-11-20 108 8.4 Action Adventure Comedy Family Science Fiction Universal Pictures Amblin Entertainment Back to the Future Trilogy Boxset Containing all 3 Movies Robert Zemeckis Bob Gale Robert Zemeckis Michael J. Fox 

etc … etc…

1 Like

Hi Joey,

amazing find - as usual!! :smiley:

This is what I like, but my main “problem” is how to get those folder.jpg images nice and crisp and the right size so they look like the moviename.png.

In your screenshot it looks like you have cracked this one too… but how? :cry:

Can’t wait for your AEonish Hub theme by the way…

Thanks

@ Slayer66

Sorry the ‘folder’ images are still reduced picture quality compared to ‘files’.

Nothing i can do, as this is a firmware related issue.

All ive done in the new design of the moviesheet is to correct the aspect,size,spacing … so that ‘files’ & ‘folder’ images

‘match’ or look similar.  (there are no tricks in this)

Have been working on Dialogs, Settings and Config screens for the new version,  painfully slow progress as there are quite a few xmls to edit.

Tinwarble wrote:

I can confirm that this works in FW 2.07.17 also.  However, for those wondering, backdrops will not display using the xml .

Any ideas as to why they won’t display? Maybe hardware related?

Nope, nothing to do with the hardware, it’s the firmware.  It was a bug that was introduced somewhere around version 2.03 and has never been fixed.

Hi Joey,

I have tried this trick of yours and it works  - I have firmware 2.07.17 and I cant get the folder picture to show. I have named it the same as the folder : Die Hard Trilogy.mkv (folder)

Die Hard Trilogy.xml (outside folder)

Die Hard Trilogy.jpg (outside folder)

• but nothing shows up in the folder just your default picture. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a way to downgrade to FW2.04.13?

Thanhs

@ Slayer66

I have tried this trick of yours and it works  - I have firmware 2.07.17 and I cant get the folder picture to show. I have named it the same as the folder : Die Hard Trilogy.mkv (folder)

Die Hard Trilogy.jpg (outside folder)  [rename Die Hard Trilogy.jpg  to folder.jpg and place it inside the folder]

- but nothing shows up in the folder just your default picture. What am I doing wrong?

Is there a way to downgrade to FW2.04.13?

Thanhs

And remember, PNG renamed to JPG does not work for folders (all firmware’s have this issue)

You have to use a “True” JPG for it to display.

I have a folder for Baby Einstein videos.  I set up the XML as above for this.  I set the first backdrop image to a baby einstein backdrop from the moviedb, but it will not display.  The image should be scraped since the source site is the same as the images for my other files.  I did delete all of the other XML info above the images except for a title. Using the latest firmware, default theme, gallery view…

Thanks,

E

edit:

image address:

http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/5Eg0YeBiSVjQhsU9HF19NyNatD1.jpg

Hi,

how can i get the rounded cover (for folders) ?

Regards 

Bump, still looking for a solution.  I wonder if the backdrop not displaying has to to with the fact that I deleted the movie id.  The link to the first backdrop is good. Firmware is 2.08,

Thanks,

Edit: The baby Einstein image backdrop is 1003x564, 270kb.  The backdrop images scraped by the hub are 780x439, 70kb.

Eric_K wrote:

I have a folder for Baby Einstein videos.  I set up the XML as above for this.  I set the first backdrop image to a baby einstein backdrop from the moviedb, but it will not display.  The image should be scraped since the source site is the same as the images for my other files.  I did delete all of the other XML info above the images except for a title. Using the latest firmware, default theme, gallery view…

Thanks,

E

edit:

image address:

http://cf2.imgobject.com/t/p/original/5Eg0YeBiSVjQhsU9HF19NyNatD1.jpg

I think I realized now that you cannot get backdrops to display for folders with the default theme, firmware 2.08.  The other XML info does display.

E

I have tried this trick several ways and have been unable to make the folder show any artwork.

What might I be doing wrong?

I have several movies that are not listed in TMDB and now that they require an IMDB number to include in their database, I will never be able to add these movies to my library correctly.

All I want to do is to see the thumbnail image when I am looking in the library view.

If you are trying to get an image to display for the folder, then read thru this thread carefully, especially a few posts up.  If you are trying to get a backdrop to display when you hover over the folder, that will not work.  Some more detail about your set-up would be helpful.

:

"Die Hard Trilogy.mkv (folder)

Die Hard Trilogy.jpg (outside folder)  [rename Die Hard Trilogy.jpg  to folder.jpg and place it inside the folder]"

JoeySmyth wrote:

Back to the Future Trilogy.avi  -------  This is a Folder …

Back to the Future Trilogy.xml -------  This is a XML …

Also ensure the edited XML contains the correct ‘title name’. eg.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
Back to the Future Trilogy PG 1989-11-20 108 8.4 Action Adventure Comedy 

etc … etc…

The hub can only display: Title, Genre, Overview and Runtime. Therefore, an xml with just this info is enough.

eg.

Band of Brothers.avi [folder]
Band of Brothers.xml

Xml contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
  Band of Brothers   The Band of Brothers miniseries details, if at times exaggerated or condensed, the real-life exploits of Easy Company during World War II over the course of ten episodes, starting with their jump training at the Currahee training site in Toccoa, Georgia and ending with the capitulation of Germany. The experiences of Major Richard Winters (1918–2011) are a primary focus, as he attempts to keep his men together and safe. While the series stars a large ensemble cast, episodes generally feature one character prominently, following their particular actions during certain events (for example, the Siege of Bastogne and Operation Market Garden).   605   TV Series

Works on FW 2.07.17

Can anyone confirm that this will work on the newer firmwares for the hub. I just want to make sure I am doing it right as it did not work. I am usung the latest firmware