Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

Just bought a MyBook World Edition 2TB 2 days ago and had the same problem this morning :cry:

My network:

• a notebook with Win7 64 (bought a week ago, every updates possible were made)

• a notebook with WinXP SP3

• a netbook Samsung NC10 with WinXP SP3

• a Castlenet non-gigabit router provided by my cable company

• a D-Link 1008D switch connected to the router. The MyBookWorld is connected to this switch, as well as the Win7 notebook and the WinXP notebook

• there is also 2 PS3, 2 PSP, and other devices not concerned by this problem

So, I have 4 external USB disks to copy on the MyBookWorld

• WD Passport 250 with ~200GB of  various files in type and size (from some KB to 1GB)

• an other WD Passport 250 with ~200GB of  various files in type and size (from some KB to 4.5GB)

• WD Passport 500 with ~400GB of video files (size between 200 and 600MB)

The copy of the 2 WD 250 went smoothly, no error, no problem, it took some times but there was many files to copy. The Win7 laptop and the MyWorld stayed online more than 24H to do this.

Yesterday evening, after successfully watching some video on my PS3 via DLNA from the MyBook, I launched the copy of the WD 500, and this morning I found it stopped with 40GB left to copy: the drive was inaccessible.

Win7 can’t find it, I tried the WinXP laptop and it can’t find it as well, and the web-based interface was not accessible.

The power button on the MyBook seems to have no effect, so I disconnect the power.

I tried to copy the remaining files another time, but the MyBook became inaccessible after ~10min.

Once again, disconnecting the power, rebooting,…

Another try had the same effect…

So in the last 2 day I was able to copy more than 700GB on the disk without any difficulty, but this morning for the remaining 40GB, I can’t get it to work and this very annoying :angry:

After a third reboot, I hooked the WD 500 to the WinXP laptop and … the copy of the remaining files worked!

Many of the files on the WD 500 drive are 350MB files, but the directory it tried to copy when the problem occurs was full of 600MB files, and it is the only ones in this case…

Maybe the problem is with Win7 after all as pointed before. I will try later the solution given above.

yes Nick, this problem is with Windows 7, I think WD should do something ASAP, everyone is waiting for new firmware update. did you able to register with mionet? I purchased last week but unable to register with mionet. anyboday knows the procedure? Nick If you have done this please let me know. my Windows 7 unable to find drive through Mionet client.

Hi,

When I first installed it, the WD Discovery Tool did not find it, but Win7 did, and pop-up for the configuration URL.

And this afternoon another 140GB copy with WinXP went well.

I don’t tried Mionet for now.

I live in France and here near Paris we have a 30Mb cable internet access, but the modem/router given by the IAP is ■■■■.

Aside its tendency for dying (the current one is the fifth in a year!), you can configure virtually …nothing: you can’t open ports, change the firewall settings, or set it to bridge mode… So get a remote access working with that, I gave up long time ago.

But they said they will provide in the next weeks/months a new firmware that allow users to set it to bridge mode, so we can put real router after it.

When this long awaited moment will come, then I will try MioNet.

Edit:

Just done this:

1. Start / Control Panel

2. Network and Internet

3. Network and Sharing Center

4. Change advanced sharing settings (on the left)

5. Open Home or Work and choose “Turn off network discovery”

6. Repeat for Public

I will post if anything new happen.

Hello

I turned off the network discovery but my WD NAS

continued to become inaccessible

up to 5 times per day

Finally I uninstalled a free download manager,  Download Accelarator Plus

(DAP)

After that The WD NAS continues to be accessible for 3 days up to now

with no problem

The MyBook just became inaccessible during the copy of a unique 500MB file…

Trun off network discovery is not the solution…

Will try that:

Open an elevated command prompt (right click > Run as Administrator)

Confirm that autotuning is enabled by running the following command:

netsh int tcp show global

If autotuning is enabled, disable it by typing the following command:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Once you do that, verify it has been disabled by typing:

netsh int tcp show global

Next thing you want to do is disable Remote Differential Compression:

1) Click the Start Menu, open Control Panel, open "Programs" or "Uninstall a Program".

2) On the left side click on "Turn Windows features on and off" and clear the check mark next to "Remote Differential Compression"

3) Reboot

This should now prevent the MyBook from crashing when it receives an adjusted value from the network adapter on Windows 7/Windows 2008 Servier based systems.

And then it goes again for a 150MB file…

The previous change had no effect…

If I had to rebbot it (meaning: remove the power plug as the power button has no effect at all)  between each file I copy to it, I will begin to think this product is pure ■■■■ and useless…

EDIT: and again! 2 times in less than 10min, wow… :cry:

1 Like

Hi all,

I know same problem as you.

After 6 month without problem (I have had this problem before),

there is 7 days, I active “Synchronizer the file” on Windows 7.

And the WD Drive begin lost connexion after 10 to 60 minutes :angry:

I don’t know why…

Also, I have to be go to stop “Synchronizer the file”…

And now, I have an access without lost…

it’s very strange

WD My Book World Edition don’t like the “Synchronizer the file” of Windows 7 ???

Bad thing…

Sorry for my english, my language is french :wink:

I have the same issue. My MBWEII product has been nothing but frustrating right from day 1 (yesterday).

The first thing that I was surprised was that the user guide makes no mention of Windows 7 (which is what I am using) at all.

Secondly, I was stunned that there was not available firmware update when the date on my version is almost 1 year old.

Then when I actually tried to use the product;

• WD discovery doesn’t find my MBWEII when run from windows 7 (64-bit version). But if I run the program on an XP machine it works fine.
  • inconsistently allows me to connect to public and private shares. I am still trying to figure this one out.
  • Now it’s gone completely offline (although I can ping the device).

and to think that I selected WD because I thought it would be a better product that some of the options available through other lesser known manufacturers. I should have spend some time on this forum BEFORE purchasing this unit.

I think this unit will be going back.

I’m having the same issue of having the drive become inaccessible.

win7-32 bit

MBWE 1TB conneted to LAN  via Linksys workgroup switch

Seems to hang every time I run GoodSync and while it is in the middle of writing a backup copy of my 1.2GB Outlook.pst file to the NAS.

I tried the suggestion from the link below and my network and MBWEII have been accessible for almost 24 hours (which is about 23.5 hours better than before).

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use-II/m-p/38659/highlight/true#M1647

tested

i’ll post back in a few days and update if it works!

hey all,

i’ve read whole article and here’s just few info about my enviroment:

we had on our network planet router & at least 3 laptops with win 7 ultimate, win xp & nokia n900

replaced planet with ovislink but without any change (replacement wasn’t made because of mybook world)

i admit that we made couple of changes via ssh in nslu2 witch is there, but i think we are having not accessible issue since last firmware update

uptime of our WD is mostly between one to five days, with torrent downloading via console client (rtorrent) & basic stuff like watching movies via network

here are last logs from today…when i woke up and turned on my laptop (win XP), it was not accessible again:

Oct 14 10:02:49 backup auth.info sshd[4638]: Did not receive identification string from 192.168.1.1
Oct 14 10:03:06 backup auth.info sshd[4639]: Did not receive identification string from 192.168.1.100

for me it appears like blocked access from IPs above

also everytime i lost my access (via web/ssh/smbd) it wasn’t pingable

can try to disable mionet with twonky, but not sure if that helps in my case…

hi again,

yesterday my router crashed, which resulted for WD to stop be accessible again…

WD had static IP 192.168.1.98 with DHCP range between .100 and .200

i’ve noticed that every time WD lost connection with router, after reconnect, it wasn’t accessible anymore…only when i’ve rebooted it

router was able to see it in his LAN table

also i’ve disconnected WD, connected my laptop directly to it, changing my IP to .99 and it wasn’t accessible…also reboot helped and only after that i was able to connect/login/everything basically

i’ve changed IP to dynamic again, so i will see after another router failure if that will help…but doubt that.

Have anyone from WD company any explanation for behavior mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for any answers

So nearly 11 months on and 16 pages of posts, is there any danger that WD will release a firmware fix that includes Twonkey 6, and the ability to switch-off mionet properly if not being used?

I have a PC and a laptop both running XP Pro SP3, the PC is backing up OK, wired to router, but the laptop (wireless) exhibits all the issues described in this thread i.e starts and stops and then cannot detect the server etc.

I don’t mine changing settings on my PC, router or network if they are required to “see” other connected kit, but we should not have to hack the firmware or software of the connected components to get them to work! Come on WD restore the faith!

I guess I’ll add my $ .02 worth here even if I don’t see much in the way of solutions.

I started having problems a couple of months ago. After a few minutes to a few hours the backup software (memeo) says the device is unavalable. HOWEVER, WD Discovery finds it just fine. Also the mapped network drives all work just fine. The only thing I have found to get it back is a cold boot of the MBWE.

Today even that wouldn’t work so I uninstalled and reinstalled the memeo software and it took right off and ran for a couple of hours. This is getting really old…

I’ve got three systems on this thing. Next time if fails and I have some time I want to check the other systems and see if they have the same symptoms.I have two laptops, one Vista and one Win 7(64) as well as an old desktop with XP.

Oh well, thanks for listening.

Bob

My firmware is: 01.01.18

MBWE is 1T, white light

I had this issue within the first 48hrs of owning my new drive.

Implementing the Mionet fix (adding some code to the script file) to proeprly obey the startup checkbox  within the GUI has completely solved this issue for me.

I believe there is an issue with the ability for the drive to come out of standby mode after it has hibernated for any length of time. Unless the firmware link I posted yesterday fixes this I think a script edit is the best possible solution to resolving this issue until an official firmware release/upgrade is available from WD.

Well, I have exactly the same problem: The drive is suddenly not accessible, though it shows white led and spins occasionally.

It is reconed in the network by its IP-address, however, neither the drive’s software nor windows allows to access the drive’s content. I can add one strange observation: My iTunes-mediafiles were suddenly redirected to my internal computer hdd while the windows media player at the same time created an unwanted (and defunct) link on my desktop  to the WD MyBook World Ed. I

Shall we dub it the “cinderella-problem”? I do not want to wait a hundred years until wake-up-day!

Anyone with a solution?

From what I’ve seen here this drive has so many issues as t be nearly unusable. I just bougth the 2TB White Light version of this drive and the software/firmware failed right out f the box. When I try to log into the Netwrok Service Maanger it allows me to do so but then as soon as I select a menu icon - say like “Users” or “Network” it kicks me right out back to the logon screen. WD Dscovery crashes occasionally when I exit the program. I disabled all of my firewalls, tried different routers, tred different cmmputers, reset the drive … you name it I did it to try and get this thing to work. I called WD support and they have no clue. They wanted me to disable certain Windows services and change internet browsers. I asked them is this what I’d have to do on every computer everytime I wanted to access the drive (assuming this worked) . He’s the funny one for you guys on this thread becasue I can tell that you guys know what you’re doing. I asked WD Support if anyone else was having any probems wth this drive. He said, no not that he was aware of. I said gee that’s funny because I waited 15 minutes on line waiting for someone who has no one calling them. I told them I spent that 15 minutes reading this partcular thread about a bunch of guys that know what they are doing but aren’t getting anywhere with WD Support. So, I told WD Support I have no interest in helping them debug their drive. I’m returning it tomorrow.

Hi all

what’s a pity that this problem :cry:

It’s sad that WD don’t resolve this, and don’t beleive that many people have this problem…

I try all that you propose. But it’s not a solution for me :frowning:

But, since 2 weeks, one seem ok (but not a good solution, not economy, but it’s seem right) :

The WD MBWE II don’t disable of network SINCE that I stop “Power saving - HDD Standby” on Advance Mode - System" of the WD drive!

I read here, on the WD forum, that there is sometime a problem, this fonction with OS Windows 7

It’s not THE solution because the drive turn all time and don’t sleep…

But now it don’t disable of my network.

If that can help you… :wink:

6-11-2010

Oups! It’s not the solution at long time…

Today I lost the network with MBWE II :frowning:

What’s a pity…

Why WD don’t help us to resolve this fix ?

Hi.

I have a solution which works for me.

I already went though every linux command line procedure suggested in order to kill off any unnecessary processes, but for me this was not the major cause.

I’m 99% percent certain that the problems in my case stem from certain broadcast frequencies on my wireless router. Unlike some people (I’m a mac user btw, not W7), this has been an on off problem and it’s driven me absolutely nuts. I actually change my wireless frequencies every now and again, but I never made this connection until last night. I was able to actually sit, successfully use the drive for an hour, switch frequencies on my wireless router, try again and watch it bomb out trying to do the same tasks immediately afterwards.

In this case I was getting failures using Channel 9 (2.452GHz) with success on Channel 11(2.462GHz).

I’m not totally sure why this makes such a dramatic difference, but it seems like in my case this is almost certainly the culprit. This might not work for you, but I hope it does!