Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

“I hope a resolution is found soon.  I really didn’t expect to have to waste the time I have on this issue.”     

If you want a FAST solution, use dzentai’s at page 7 - or still wait with us for a solution from WD (i hope at 2010…)

Small guide on howto disable these services (only for latest MyBook World Edition II White version):

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.

Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!

Now you are inside your NAS.

Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet main program):

mv  /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet  /root/

mv  /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver  /root/

chmod -x /usr/mionet/bin/cvm

then reboot your NAS with

reboot

Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.   

I have had my MyBook World for around a year and it’s been working fine, until I got a new laptop with WIndows 7 (x64). Only since then has my MyBook World stopped responding occasionally (not always) when I try to connect to it, requiring a hard reset to get it out of this “sleep” state.

1)     XP and now Windows 7 (x64)

2)     Netgear DGN2000

3)     Windows XP PC. Windows 7 Laptop, PS3, Apple Mac

amav09 wrote:

“I hope a resolution is found soon.  I really didn’t expect to have to waste the time I have on this issue.”     

If you want a FAST solution, use dzentai’s at page 7 - or still wait with us for a solution from WD (i hope at 2010…)

Small guide on howto disable these services (only for latest MyBook World Edition II White version):

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.

Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!

Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet main program):

reboot

Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.   

I have considered doing this, but it doesn’t sound completely successful.  Plus, the steps above are a bit beyond my skill level. 

I have considered doing this, but it doesn’t sound completely successful.  Plus, the steps above are a bit beyond my skill level. 

I agree with you 100%.

But until now the only alternative that you have is to wait (…) or to find a nice tash can & put in your WD permanently… (or recycle…)

Of course you can try to call WD service support line.

Just want to add that I’m having this issue also.  My original 1Tb white light unit was sent back to WD for this issue.  The new drive they shipped me is also freezing in the same manner.  I’ve disabled Mionet and Twonky and still have the drive freeze up every so often.  It seems to happen randomly with every day usage, but it will consistently freeze when large files or large #s or files are transferred.

OS’s in the house:  7, Vista, XP

Router: Linksys wrt54g with stock firmware

Devices: Belkin 8 port switch, Wii, 2 iPhones, iPad, connected sony blu ray, tivo s2, tivo premier.  Freezes happen with and without all this hardware (yes I checked each of them).

My OS on the drive is up to date according to the web-page updater. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE develop a fix asap!  Thank you in advance.

Hi ,

I’m having the same issue.  I have a My book World Edition 2TB.  And i have to reboot my computer to get it to recognise the drives.  After only an hour or so the drive becomes unusable.

Router: Airport Extreme (2010)

Cheers.

murphythefatcat wrote:

amav09 wrote:

reboot

I can confirm 100% the above works my 2TB World edition NAS has been rock solid for 4-6 weeks before i did the fix i would be lucky if it would stay up for 3-5 hours and i would have to do a hard reboot of the NAS

The only downside to the above is Twonky and Mionet doesnt work which basically makes the drive useless if you want it to stream movies ect to PS3

I am a NOOB as well and wanted to know what you used to change the name?

Hi all

After searching for a solution for long hours and tried various suggested solutions without success…

I have tried c4rm0’s and it seems to work. To date it is the only solution which has overcome this painful disconnection due to W7.

Before I was using W7 on a second system everything with Mybookworld(white light) seemed to work flawlessly. I’ve only rebooted the systems twice to see if it works. So far so good.

I’m not to concerned with media and PS3 as long as it works as my backup drive and if needed be able to restore files.

aehmt wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have been using my book world edtion white light 1tb for six weeks.  For the first couple of weeks it worked fine but sometimes I had mapping issue. Last two weeks it was frustrating. Mapping the drivers would take couple of resetting both the router and the storage and after that it would work for 20-30 minutes than it was impossible to reach it again. Sometimes because of the mybook world edition my internet connection dropped. When I unplugged ethernet cable from my router 30 seconds and connection came to life. I tried everything that i could find from forums. But nothing changed. I use linksys wag160n. I had started to think maybe it was the router causing the problems.

Yesterday I resetted everything again wag160n and mybook world. And I installed Linksys Easylink Advisor  and configured the network and internet settings from its software. Than guess what!!! it is working fine nowIT IS WORKING FINE NOW . I really couldnt understand what was the problem with previous settings. But there is just one reasonable explanation and it is windows 7 network configuration there is something wrong in it. I hope it will help some people having this kind of problems. I suggest them if they have linksys router try to configure everthing from begining using Linksys Easylink Advisor.

As I told before. Everything has been fine for me for 3 weeks, after Linksys easylink advisor. My OS is windows 7 x64 ultimate.

HDD standby is on. DHCP is on. Mionet is active. Uploading large files is ok. CTorrent works fine. Everthing works as it should. No problem. I also connected mbwe with wd photos on iphone by using cellular data network. it was quite fun to see mbwe is coming to life from standby just for photoshare. 

I am pretty sure now if there is a problem it is microsoft windows’s. But also it is WD’s liability to solve this issue no matter what. They can not wait for microsoft to solve it. 

Once again regarding Linksys router users, I suggest them to configure their network by using easylink advisor. Make a fresh start just delete all previous settings reset  everthing (mbwe, router, modem) and delete previous  windows network setting. Do it with Linksys easylink advisor. I hope it helps. 

Good luck all of you guys. 

Hello all,

there is a new update available for our Drive.

I installed it & now I have the following version message:

Version: 01.02.04 with MIONET

BUT…

Still have the same problem!!!

Means:

You must deactivate the same services to make the system stable again…!!!

THANKS guys from WD for this useless update… :-(((

bill_s wrote:>

If you read the beginning of this thread, it’s obvious that there was a mixture of things going on, but the original poster got his solution out of the process.  All I was saying was that you can’t blast the original poster because he got his solution and it doesn’t work for you.  And, yeah, it does make this thread seem like it’s solved; but I can’t remove the solution, so now we’re stuck. 

No, don’t start a new thread.  I have passed this along, and I have been requesting more info from all of you for the engineers to look at.  So, keep posting.  Let’s just trudge through this till we get results.  The My Book World is not going away, so we have to fix it.

bill_s,

I’d be lying if I told you that I think Western Digital is actually working this issue, or that you have escalated this problem to a person capable of bringing the attention needed to what I would classify as a show stopper bug.  Coming from someone who works with bugs daily, I know that when one is tasked with resolving a bug, it is the direct result  result of someone reporting a bug.  The bug is then logged into a tracking system using standardized bug reporting systems.  

The idea behind this is that one can check the status periodically so it can be reported to others, such as their managers or inquiring customers.  I decided to become an inquiring customer, and called WD Support.  Interestingly, I was told there were no known problems with the Western Digital MyBook World Edition and that I could try power cycling the device.

The response I was given puzzles me as below you appear to confirm there is indeed a problem by saying “The My Book World is not going away, so we have to fix it.”    Unless you didn’t mean the Merriam Webster definition: “a : repair, mend ”, then I would think support representatives could at least offer an aknowledgement that the problem is being looked into so as not to waste technician efficiency or customers time.

My question to you is, if you have indeed “passed this along” as you say you have, then I am assuming that the person you informed is someone who could open a bug report with a dev team who will first replicate and then submit address the bug with either a documented resolution, or to have one developed and rolled into a new rev of the software.

Since you had no status updates on this for a while and I received an answer that there were no known issues, you can understand why I would assume the firmware released a few days ago would address this problem!  Unfortunately for us cusomters who have a crippled device, the update does not address this problem and it still persists.

As a loyal (but severely wavering) customer of Western Digital, my questions to you are:

1. Can you provide us with a bug number that we can reference to check the status of this problem?
  2. If you can not do so, can you inform us of  the current status (e.g. replicated, in dev, in QA, fixed in upcoming firmware release, etc) along with, possible root cause and the ETA for a fix?
  3. If there is no fix possible, for previous customers due to a hardware design deficiency,  my hope is that us consumers who are waiting for one are made aware since mine currently amounts to a white paper weight  and is no longer a backup solution…
  4. Is there already a KB article written that has recommended fixes until the problem is resolved permanently via firmware?

As it stands now, the company appears to care cares little for those who have already purchased their product and instead wish spend dev resources to rev firmwares so that marketing can update the pretty box with new and lashy features…

Currently, this device hasn’t met any of the basic expectations that a even the most budget of solutions from unknown vendors can accomplish: data transfer! 

From the “40 years of Innovation” webpage, http://www.wdc.com/en/company/2010/:

Quality
WD performs rigorous in-house testing to assure quality and reliability.

and

Customer Support
WD stands behind our products with telephone support and state-of-the-art online services that include a comprehensive knowledge base and express RMA service.

The first is downright hysterical, especially catching wind of the problems people have with the latest firmware rev.  The second has clever wording there on the customer support section.  WD may stand behind their products, but so far they are unable to resolve a critical problem that inhibits even basic functionality of one of their still released products…  This is unacceptable. 

2 Likes

I have found a resolution to this problem in my environment and I believe it is due to the MyBook World Edition’s inability to handle scaling TCP Windows/RWIN values when Windows 7 attempts to “optimize” the connection.  This is a new feature for Windows 7 and it appears as though the MyBook’s network adapter is incapable of handling this type of request since it freezes almost immediately after the TCP Window\RWIN adjustments are made.  

This is something Western Digital should at the very least post as an update on their FAQ/Knowledgebase area.   Sad that Western Digital hasn’t released a fix yet or at least posted this resolution before a user had to figure it out on their own!

Many people are reporting that this issue is only affecting their Windows 7 computers. My Windows 2008 and Windows 7  machines I confirmed fail to upload large files due to the MyBook freezing and needing a reboot before applying these changes.  I confirmed with multiple 1.5 GB file uploads that Windows XP in my environment has no issue doing the same operation. 

After I compared logging results from my network adapters and compared the 3 platforms, I discovered that this always happens after WIndows 7/2008 Server at exactly the same point.   This led me to the rev99k post which fixed the problem, thank you rev99k.  Adjusting these following settings allows Win7 and Win2k8 Server to upload files without issue, no matter how many or their size (assuming within the capacity of the drive itself.

Confirmed Resolution that rev99k posted here has worked:

Open an elevated command prompt (right click > Run as Administrator)

Confirm that autotuning is enabled by running the following command:

netsh int tcp show global

If autotuning is enabled, disable it by typing the following command:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Once you do that, verify it has been disabled by typing:

netsh int tcp show global

Next thing you want to do is disable Remote Differential Compression :

1. Click the Start Menu, open Control Panel, open “Programs” or “Uninstall a Program”.

2. On the left side click on “Turn Windows features on and off”  and clear the check mark next to "Remote Differential Compression"

3. Reboot

This should now prevent the MyBook from crashing when it receives an adjusted value from the network adapter on Windows 7/Windows 2008 Servier based systems.

devnull,

I absolutely agree with you, WD would deserve an earthquake in the internal lines because they only looking for excuses and they not solve a critical issues that have impact on thousands of users!

I don’t understand how can survive such a big company like WD with poor support and arrogant behavior to the users.

1 Like

I have been working on this issue for quite some time now. I’m happy to hear that devnull was able to get around it by turning off autotuninglevel. That was one of the first things I tried (once I was finally able to reproduce it), but it didn’t help in my case. It does help to know that it worked, though, since each little bit of information could be the key to crack this problem.

I am sorry this is taking so long to fix, but it isn’t easily replicated. Most people are not seeing this problem. We tried to reproduce the problem in our labs but couldn’t, then finally reproduced it during some unrelated testing. It only happens in certain network environments, and even then, it doesn’t always happen. Besides the seemingly-random nature of this issue, the biggest problem is that it can take up to two weeks to know if a change fixes the problem or not which is really slowing progress down. It also doesn’t help that we can only reproduce it on a few systems.

For those who are seeing this, could you try something and let me know if it fixes your problem? Could you disable network discovery in Windows? To do this, follow these steps:

1. Start / Control Panel

2. Network and Internet

3. Network and Sharing Center

4. Change advanced sharing settings (on the left)

5. Open Home or Work and choose “Turn off network discovery”

6. Repeat for Public

Obviously, this isn’t a permanent fix, but it might let you continue to use your drive as we work on a permanent fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM FROM THE TIME I  ISTALLED

MY NEW NETWORK DRIVE (MY BOOK WORLD EDITION)

I THINK IS BETTER TO CALL IT

A  NETWORK PROBLEM INSTEAD OF A NETWORK DRIVE

I SENT A MESSAGE TO WD QUESTION NUMBER

100905-001836

I HAVE NOT RECEIVED AN ANSWER YET

THEN I LEARN IT IS A GENELAR PROBLEM

THAT YOU TRY TO RESOLVE

I NOTICED THAT THE DISK CRASHES

WHEN I TRY TO ACCESS IT SHORTLY AFTER

MY COMPUTER TURN ON (WIN7 HOME PREMIUM)

IF I LET SOME TIME PASS THE

DISK IS ACCESSIBLE NORMALY

I SEND YOU THIS FOR HELP

I WISH YOU TO FIND A SOLUTION

INIOHOS

Hi WD,

I purchased My Book World Edition II (white light) day before yesterday from Dubai, UAE. I am having the same problem, I have windows 7, Fedora 13, Nokia E72 , Nokia 5800 Music Express and PS3 250GB Slimin in my home network, I read whole thread, and happy to read message 135 from WD Staff, I will try it today while back to home, hope it will fix the problem , Best luck for fixing as permanent , I hope will see new firmware soon… :slight_smile:

Its working fine now with Windows 7,  I copied a picture folder of 6 GB it copied successfully, As I mentioned earlier that I have a Play Station 3 on my network and when I update PS3 to firmware 3.50 after that It again become unaccessable after a short use :frowning: .

The designers at WD should be shot.   The only reason I bought this was because my old NAS wouldn’t work on Windows 7.   But the useful features on this  product aren’t that useful.   Also, it messed up my USB External drive.  DO NOT USE THE COPY MANAGER to copy files, it’s slow and you really don’t know what’s happening.

And due to the fact that it does not have USB to PC direct is so bloody frustrating !

I have read lot of threads of issues and I saw that most of people having confusion about USB communication may be you people are forgetting that NAS works with firmware and firmware is a Linux based operation system. Like other operating system when you plug a USB device it detects and same WDMBW does when you plug a usb storage it shows in admin panel i.e.

If you connect two computers using USB port what happen? Can you see one PC on other ? So you have to find how to communicate two computer using USB other than blaming WD that System doesn’t recognize NAS when connect through USB. Please understand the concept of NAS and firmware.