Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

Definitely not the problem with my set up, as I’m wired. It seems to happen periodically when copying large files to my MBWE II. I’ve done the mods mentioned in this forum as far as disabling Mionet, but still this occurs. Anybody else with a solution?

Have you disabled mionet AND twonky  via SSH AND ensured the option to enable Mionet in the Web GUI is switched off?

I received my drive friday, it failed firstly sunday, twice more today (Wednesday). I have just disabled via SSH, Mionet and Twonky. I am now transferring 9 GB of data. Will report back if this has not fixed the problem. I have also lodged a ticket with WD tech support via email tonight.

Really poor effort from Western Digital to provide a solution to an issue with 17 pages of complaints dating back to 2009. If my issue isn’t resolved I will be expecting a refund.

Yes I have.  It really didn’t change anything for me.  I find the problem occurs only with uploading large (20-30 GB) files, and usually only when I’ve transferred a few in succession.  I’ve found that if I give it a ‘rest’ between files it tends not to happen.  No problems actually playing media files from it.  I really wonder if it is a matter of the drive being overwhelmed by heat or data or something (I know, not very technical . . .). 

Count me in as a new user wtih this problem.

WD My Book Worl Edition 1.5 TB  17% full

Will not wake up after standby

Static IP address on local net

Thanks.

I was having all the same sorts of probs with my Worldbook too, it would disappear, it was there but I couldn’t access it, it would crash when transferring files, blah blah blah, I thought I bought a dud. But after I changed a few things it now seems to be stable - knock on wood!

I’m on win7 wired to a Billion 7800n and here’s what has worked for me:

Start | run | cmd | ipconfig/all - write down subnet mask - default gateway - DNS servers

Start up WD Discovery - MyBookWorld | configure | log in

Advanced mode | Network | LAN - network mode static - then put in figures from ipconfig - submit - close window

Then…

Start | Computer | right click Network | Properties | click See Full Map - hover over MyBookWorld and write down the MAC Address

Then…

Log into Billion 7800n hit Advanced | Configuration | Firewall | Ethernet MAC Filter and typed in the MAC Address - set to Allow and Always On - save settings

Sorry to be so long winded but I hope this can help and stop at least one person from throwing their WD through their monitor.

So disabling twonky and Mionet wasn’t a permanent fix. Just tried my drive and again, pingable but not accessible via GUI front end or the mapped shares. Hard to restart the drive.

I have no followed the latest staff member post and disabled network discovery. I highly doubt this is the issue. The drive crapped itself whilst my laptop was switched off.

I emailed technical support and told them of the issue on here. Their only suggestion was to “restart the drive and try again”. I told them that is NOT the problem. They said they’d point their engineering team to this board. I will email them back and let them know disabling twonky and Mionet was not a permanent fix.

About to upgrade to Windows 7. If this still occurs on Windows 7 and Western Digital cannot fix it, I do plan on requesting a refund as the drive doesn’t do what it is supposed to do.

I wouldn’t count on Windows 7 fixing this problem - I have it and this still occurs.

Add another to the list where the drive keeps dropping off the network.:cry:

At least I know I don’t have to waste time trying to solve as it appears other who are far more cluey have tried and failed.

Mine drops off sometimes during heavy writes to the drive (150gb) where it is running at around 10mb/s.  Sometimes it will run without fault most of the day and then next day drop off several times. Each time requires a reboot of the drive and PC. 

Heartened to hear that some have had stability when reading from the drive, so I hope it is only while I’m transferring my data to this drive. Once there it may all work OK…maybe???

Come on WD…where is the fix here?

Oh I’m using Vista Ultimate running through a Linksys. I have no internet on that network so I cannot update the firmware (which doesn’t work anyway). WD also doesn’t support manual upgrades of the firmware for mybooks, according to the documentation on the website - care to fix that one as well WD??? Coz there is no other way I can update the firmware with what I have here.

I have just bought a 1TB white light. I am having the same problem. However I ‘thought’ I was only losing connectivity with other wireless devices. Incidentally, the user documentation said I had to run the discovery software on any device I wanted to see the NAS but I found my Netbook could see it in network places without running the discovery software. It is my netbook that is giving me problems, so I wonder if it has been caused by my not doing as I was told. I think I will run the discovery software on my netbook tonight and see if it fixes the problem…

If you have Vista or Win7 they have an option under control panel network and Sharing Center for network discovery this will automatically show you everything connected to your network.

The WD cd will just automatically maps a network drive to your mybook. When you open My Computer you can just double click on the mapped drive and access files etc on your mybookworld.

What most people do and just type \mybookworld into a address bar, the cd isnt really needed so is no issue

Thanks @Haydeneckhoff, I won’t waste my time then. I was hoping the problem was my fault

I am another with worldbook 2tb edition.  Lost datavolume . did a complete reset to factory and recovered that data volume … of course lost all data.

Since then it has only stayed online for a few hours.  It doesn’t matter if it is being used or not it just goes offline.

Sounds like many of us are in the same boat without a paddle other than rebooting the drive every time we want to use it. 

Seems awful lame for a technology company as big as WD not to have fixed this by now.

starbaseaurora

read throught the 18pages and could not find a solution after I had this problem 2 weeks back and suddenly today as well.  It has caused my router to drop line.

Router: TP Link, MR3420

MBWE 1TB White Light

So, any permanent solution from WD?

This thread has been worrying me as a Mac user for months, so much so that I have never fully committed to using my netdrive in the way i intended when I bought it.  but so far the issue has not arisen - i I haven’t observed any problems with the MyBook World Edition drive on my home ethernet network, which consists of several Macs connected via a Netgear router, to a Roadrunner cable modem.  Western Digital seems to have its head in the sand on this issue. I’ll look more carefully in the future before I purchase any new drive from WD…it’s a matter of trust, and WD has not given us any reasons to trust them in the future, other than to trust that they will be uncommunicative and ineffectual in their response to any problems with any new products we might want to buy from them.

Hello guys

I have now the second mybook world edition

the first mybook goes offline  in one day

now I have a second mybook en this one goes offline in  6 hours

when I reset it , its goes online and it works

to day I called the helpdesk for the third time to get a solution

the say call us back tomorrow.

Last week I speak to one from wd-helpdesk  and he says that they have a special

software but this was on one risk ?? .

I went to the store to get another mybook  I think this one works great

but this one **bleep** also .

When I had the guy from WD at the phone , I told him he most look at this form

18 pages and now solution  WD shame on you !!

Regards   Steven – Holland  

Unfortunatelly one more to the list of people scam by WD.

I started backing up my information yesterday using the WD supplied software, at the moment my XP computer has copied around 90GB of data to my WD, and my Windows Vista system has copied around 4GB with 1 lockup and as everybody knows I needed to hard reboot the NAS as it was not responding. I must say I was able to ping the drive and I disconnecting the drive from the network also gave me timeouts so it seems that network wise if working fine at least at the most basic level.

Twonky and Mionet are enabled and it’s a WD MWB II white light 1.5TB.

My network devices are as follows:

Router: Linksys WRT160N

The IP addresses for all my network devices are using DHCP but my PCs and my NAS are using DHCP reservation which means that they will get the same IP address all the time.

Wireless network is also available

Laptop: Win XP SP3

Desktop: Windows Vista Home Premium

Wii

Iphone

Brother Network Printer

Since mid-october, I only transfer files to the WD drive with my old WinXP laptop, and had no problem.

Yesterday, for a single 500MB file, I did not want to start my old laptop so I tried to copy it directly from my Win7 64 laptop, and boom,… the WD freezed… again…

WD need to work on this problem, it become more annoying every day!

I have found from other people on this site that the problem of drives freezing and dis-engaging is an over heating of the WD Drive. Just place a small fan near the WD Drive and it will continue to work fine.

1 Like

This tip worked for meThis tip worked for me, two weeks do not have to reboot the NAS.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-World-Edition/Drive-Becomes-Un-Accessible-After-short-use-II/td-p/38659

Well, it seems that this might be related to an overheath on the unit, or at least on mine, I put a little fan running on the top of my NAS and I have been transfering a bunch of files, all the services are enabled, Mionet, Twonky, FTP, etc.  It has been almost 2 days and the unit is still running.

Thanks for the Tip!

:smiley: