Yup got Red Light and really Slow Speeds

Interesting discovery…

So just after returning all the bargain drives that I bought from BestBuy, leaving me with only the two Costco Cloud drives, I decided to determine why it took almost 8 days for my data comparison of 5TBs. I had thought it was just an old 2010 Mac Mini that ran slow on the data comparisons. My previous fast data comparison of 3 days, was done on my new Macbook 12".

I decided to do a speed test on the Clouds and found that they were connected at 100mb/s, so I figure that it must be the cables, because I did do a speed test and the Clouds were a blazing 120 MB/s devices. Unplugged the cable and found another cat 5e.

I turned the cloud around and was ready to plug in the new ethernet cable and to my horror the front light was red!!

Oh just great and I just returned the other drives to BestBuy.

I panicked and tried to log on to my clouds… and found that I couldn’t… (noises of swearing can be heard throughout Canada).

Then I realized that I had unplugged my ethernet cable to swap the cable… and a light came on (above my head), dim one at this point… I plugged in the new cable… and a few seconds later… the light turn Blue!

Alright so who is the jokester at WD that decided the lights are red when you don’t have a ethernet Cable plugged in?

I don’t know if anyone knew this in this forum but this really came as a shock to me, and Bennor don’t you dare post up links to this showing that I was the only ■■■■■ that didn’t know about this. A Red light has always meant that the drive has gone bad for the last 4 years and now a red light means that you don’t have a ethernet cable plugged in?

Really unbelievable… seriously…

Now I just found out after many trial and error, that the ports on my 1200AC router are not gigabit? I am not sure what is going on, but there are 5 ports on my Dlink router that is currently configured as 100mb lines. (edit-apparently they are 10/100 Ethernet ports). I will need to RTFM unless someone can give me a clue. Just reserved a 5 port dlink switch from BestBuy for pickup.

edit: Slow speeds? Of course there are so many possibilities including cables, your mac/pc and now routers. Yes, yes we knew that old routers had the slow local 100mb, but I had really thought that all the newer AC routers would be gigabit and I am so annoyed that they are not, well perhaps the more expensive models. I got what I paid for ($42).

what a day… :frowning:

Apparently you don’t read my posts completely. I posted on Aug 16 to the honeymoon is over post. That the led is red when the network cable is removed.

RAC

1 Like

What is the model of your dlink router? The 1200ac should include gigabit.

RAC

yeah I do admit that I skim to find the bits that agree with me and ignore the rest :stuck_out_tongue:

and regarding the router

seriously unbelievable… and you don’t discover these caveats until you use them. With my other configuration I had an 8-port gigabit switch so I did not know until I downsize the number of clouds which freed up my switch allowing me to connect my clouds to the dlink router directly. I had assumed that it was a gigabit router.

Ahem. Read the manual…

Front panel LED has been dumbed down in the Gen2.

It now only shows blue and red. Gone are white and yellow.

1 Like

They could have saved another .05 if they also removed the red so we only have just the blue.

No lights - not working
Blue Lights - working
Fast Blinking Blue Lights - scanning
slow blinking blue lights - pretending to sleep
erratic blinking blue lights - bad hard drive - bad clusters - chkdsk

I am at a loss for words really. I am just thankful that the drives do work (for now).

Should also note that the file that contains the led colors. Is the same on both gen1 and gen2. Which means they are using a different method to change the led colors.

RAC

PS hope you don’t have the problem with video streaming that I did.

correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t connecting a gigabit switch to a 10/100 router, make the switch work at 10/100?

The devices connected to the Gigabit switch should continue to operate at Gigabit speeds. Only those devices upstream of the Gigabit switch connected through the upstream 10/100 router would be affected by the slower 10/100 speed. And connecting to any of those upstream devices on the 10/100 router while on the Gigabit switch would be similarly limited to the 10/100 speed.

I believe it was true in the old days where the slowest device would slow the whole network down and I think it was mostly true for hubs, but these days, the switches and routers are very smart and I notice no slowdowns at all even if you stick a pokey old printer on the network.

The 10/100 router is now connected to my gigabit switch as are the clouds are also on the gigabit switch with no slowdowns.

So what Bennor says is what I would say if he hadn’t said it.

but don’t all communications between devices go through the router.

No. If a device is connected to the switch wants to talk to another device connected to the swithc they will talk at gigabyte speed. If a device on the switch wants to talk to a device connected to the router then it will
slow down to 100MB. There is no need to go thru the router to talk connected to the switch. That is why it is called a switch.

RAC

I’m sure everyone here is confusing you :stuck_out_tongue:

so my situation is this… my shaw isp (internet) comes in on a shaw modem/gigabit router ==> switch ==> all my local devices

all my local devices on an eight port switch now includes
==> a dlink AC WIFI router (which is actually a 10/100 5 port router) ==> originally I had two clouds here
==> mac mini (gigabit ethernet)
==> macbook (gigabit ethernet through USB 3)
==> Gaming PC (gigabit ethernet)
==> 8tb cloud (gigabit ethernet) -
==> 8tb cloud (gigabit ethernet) -

So the problem was that I thought I had a gigabit Dlink AC Wifi Router on which I had plugged in my two clouds to find out that the dlink router was actually a 10/100 router, so I had two very long cat 5e cables to connect my clouds back to my switch which was on the other side of the room.

My shaw modem/router on which everyone is connected to is a gigabit router but I don’t connect everyone here because first of all it only has 4 ports and secondly when the modem/router/internet goes down the router reboots in order to try to get a internet signal which interrupts all the communications between local devices.

Thus I moved everyone to the switch which allows the modem/router to reboot independently and the local devices untouched which the modem/router does its thing.

I hope that makes more sense to you… which is “I have two routers”