Your experience with OS 5?

Hey all, I have a My Cloud Mirror (i believe first gen, it has the USB port in the back for backup)

Wondering what your experiences have been updating to OS 5? I’m hesitant as this thing was a nightmare to get working properly in the first place and I don’t feel like dealing with a slew of new issues and things that the update may break.

The prompt asking me to upgrade to OS 5 when I logged into the firmware stated that I’d need to re-download the apps, which never worked for me to begin with. Are the new apps better at least?

Bad, my transfer speeds are like 1/5 from OS 3.

Alright then! Staying with the version I’m at thanks LOL

Stay with OS 3. OS 5 is a one-way route plagued with a number of issues, ranging from intentional (e.g. deprecated apps, features, etc) to plain lazy (device keeps waking up even when nobody’s using it). Also, you need to sign-in to WD even to access your NAS within your own network and can’t even access dashboard remotely. Apparently, OS 5 is better from a security standpoint and I’ll admit not being technically competent to comment on that but from a user perspective, feels a work-in-progress alpha build at best, my advice stay away till OS 5 catches up with OS 3.

Thanks. Definitely staying with 3.

Folder download does not work anymore :frowning:

Maximum file size for upload is 5 GB now :frowning:

Easy question, that is simply answered: a complete failure and desaster. The software was obviously never tested with a reasonable amount of test data (number of files and average directory depth). Complete junk from my pov.

2 Likes

upload from external constantly aborts
:frowning:

Bad, very bad. Incedible slow indexing and preview creation. The last I don’t need. mysql ist’nt accessible from external lan. OS5 is crab!

My view is that the basic local functionality is ok.

Anything related to WD Webaccess (starting with the indexing process; culminating in the cartoonish phone apps) is . . . horrid.

Agree with the other posters. OS5 is a huge disappointment and I wish I had never upgraded. I had to replace one of the drives and it took 2 weeks to completely index everything. Now Synch is not working and I keep getting canned answers from tech support and links to articles that are not related. Awful.

I am at the point where I want to wipe the WD drives, start over and use OS3. If that is possible.