Your choice to sync Hard drives and copy large amounts of files

I have 3 places I keep files I guess. My desktop harddrive, my WD MyCloud Ex2, and another harddrive I keep in my safe. What do y’all use to sync them and copy them over quickly and with good organization (no double files, etc).

I see WD offers GoodSync but I didn’t really want to pay for a service I use and update maybe once a month.

#WDUserRewards

I recommend using Rsync

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll take a look into it.

#WDUserRewards

Data stored on PC: I use FreeFileSync on my PC to manually backup data from PC to NAS (you can setup it as a job)
Data stored on NAS: I use embedded backup on NAS to create backup from NAS to ext USB for data stored on NAS.
Data stored on a phone: I use FolderSync Pro on my android phone to backup files (photo, video, etc) from phone to NAS
Extra: I use embedded backup on NAS to create redundant copy from whole NAS (or some critical folders) to ext USB (actually two ext USBs, one permanently connected for fresh copy and one in safe with some old copy). this is mostly to protect from wrong delete action and ransomware.

1 Like

Couldn’t I use the MyCloud phone app to sync files/pictures from my phone? Or does that only do pictures?

Although it is doing this crappy thing where it makes a new folder each time it syncs and not just updating the one…

#WDUserRewards

you see, i’m a “old school guy”. I use EX2 as Samba share only with all twonki/bonki crawler/indexing cloud/shmaud turned off. old plain samba share.
PS: have you hear about my book live loosing its precious content due to hack via its cloud functionality? One more reason to keep it simple if you need your data.

#WDUserRewards

haha I’m one of those faux tech guys myself I know about a lot of things, but don’t quite understand how it works. It’s cool and nice having access to my files on demand but if the system stops working, takes me a bit read into it and then I can figure it out.

I’m an old school guy as in I have an external HD of all my files in my safe at home and a copy at work. I like the cloud, but also like knowing I have a storage safe somewhere else.

#WDUserRewards