You need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it

We have several (at least 6) G drives in our office. All of them are 6 TB. So far 3 of them have failed with the above message after very limited hours of usage. They were all formatted for Windows. We are using Windows 10. They were not dropped, unplugged improperly and always properly ejected.

After I click Cancel, the following appears:

E:\ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

cityphotog

Hi @cityphotog,

This issue can be caused by some of the following reasons:

• If the drive has failed or is failing.
  • Cable connections may have come loose.
  • The partition has become corrupted.

Please refer to the following article for troubleshooting steps as the drive is not getting detected: https://support-en.g-technology.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/895

Hi Neha_07,

Thank you for your response.

I’m not sure if you work for G Tech/WD or are just trying to lend a hand. Thank you for your effort nonetheless.

All of what you listed and items from the link you sent were already addressed and tried.

We now stand at 4 bad drives, 2 of which didn’t have more than 40 hours on them. To say we are disappointed with G drives would the understatement of the year. We have lost all confidence in our G drives and we have 8 of them. All with very important data and since we were using other G Drives to back our G Drives up, some of the data might be gone forever.

At this point I believe either the electronics in the back of the G Drive or the Windows formatting software is behind the issues we are having. I have opened one of the failed drives up (it actually failed twice after a reformatting) and directly installed it into my tower to test the actual HDD (yes I know I have voided the warranty on that particular G drive). I formatted it with Windows so we will see what happens.

With that being said, as the person in our office that is responsible for ordering I won’t be ordering other G drives and upon discovering there is a WD Ultrastar inside, I question my long standing confidence in WD.

Thanks again for your input!

image001.jpg

I’m actually dealing with an issue of a brand new G-Drive USB that I was using with HFS+ for Windows by Paragon. The software G-Technology has on their website to use with PCs. I recently updated windows and now I’m getting this same message where it is telling me to format the drive. I took it to my office to see if it would mount on a Mac and it does not. I can see it through disk utility but can’t see it in finder window. Trying to run recovery on it at the moment. Severely disappointed in seeing issues like these on brand new drives.