Write Protection

Can someone please tell me how to remove the write protection on my WD my passport essential?. I want to reformat it but this “write protection” problem is keeping me to do so. I’ve aready tried the WD quick formatter and windows format but to no avail. i’ve even tried formatting it using the command prompt,still negative.

I would really appreciate your help guys. thanks in advance

Make sure that you are not trying to format the virtual partition of the passport (VCD)

Also if you put any password on the unit, make sure that you unlock the drive before you try to reformat the drive.

Thanks for the reply,I dont have any password in it. Here’s the scenario, i was attacked by win32/sality virus but i was able to recover my files, so i’ve decided to format the disk to make it clean using the wd quick formatter. I run the application with the default settings…processing…and then format failed. Quickly, i went to windows explorer only to find out that the file system is raw and when i clicked on the drive an error popped, “the disk is not formatted”. Do you want to format it now?, i clicked “yes” and selected ntfs as file system and when i pressed the start button…“the disk is write protected”…“the disk in drive e cannot be formatted”. There, until now i’ve been searching for answers. Thank you