World Book Live crashes network

New user of World Book Live 3TB here with an unresolved issue.  The thing sets up perfectly on home network.  Local machines (Mac and PC) have no problem backing up to WB…but only as long as they are wired to the router.  If they run wireless, backup proceeds for only about 350mb before the network crashes and everything must be rebooted.

Any ideas?

Well, first, do you have a “My Book Live”  or “My Book World.”   There is no “World Book Live.”

Sorry, my bad.  Its a “My Book Live”, 3TB

they are probably all dhcp when they go wireless?  Or static?  maybe an IP conflict shows up?  Try dhcp, or reserve IPs for the devices.  If you haven’t done that already.

No, it’s set up as static.  No IP conflicts.  It always starts out fine, then after about 200-300mb of transfer it all locks up.  And, it only happens when the transfer is wireless.  If the computer is hard wired to the router, then all is fine

WDForest wrote:

No, it’s set up as static.  No IP conflicts.  It always starts out fine, then after about 200-300mb of transfer it all locks up.  And, it only happens when the transfer is wireless.  If the computer is hard wired to the router, then all is fine

Do you have another computer to try with? Have you tried changing the channel your wireless connection works on? That could be caused by any number of things including interference.

My Linksys WRT610N at home seems to lock up quite often when doing file transfers (not just to WD products).

Not that I want to blame the router, but sometimes lots of network traffic can overheat the router and cause it to reset (like it does in my case) or freeze. What type of router do you have? Do you have any other router to try?

Router is a Linksys WRT54G…old I know, but it has worked pretty much flawlessly up 'till now.  This problem exists when doing the backup (large file transfers) from both an XP Windows machine running the backup software that came with the My Book Live as well as a MacBook Pro running Time Machine

I’m pretty sure that’s a “G” router. While they techincally work with the drive, I’d HIGHLY recommend using an “N” class router at a minimum for any kind of major file transfers.

Good plan.  I’ll get it switched out and post the reults.

Thanks

My network has been progressivley getting worse all week. Finally the past 2 days it has been unbearable and called the cable company, they could not find too much except the signal to noise ratio was a bit high so they added a 10Db pad on the line. Didn’t fix anything…Turns out it was the My Book World Edition (white light)  Network Drive causeing the erratic behavior of the network. Once I unplugged the My Book World Drive and restarted everything the network became stable and have had no issues. I have swapped out the router from a DIR-655 to a DIR-665 so it is not the router. I will try a frimware upgrade next but will be trying it off my network.

At first the internet was dropping every 5 - 10 minutes for 30 seconds and come back up (at the time I was playing an online game and it kept booting me off). At the end no devices would stay connected to the router (it seems it was affecting the router for some reason). No internet at all when the device was connected. By device I mean our iPads, iPhones and computers.

Any idea what this could be before I start a unbeaable process of troubleshooting… Thanks

So… while your My Book World (White Light) is plugged into your network, the network has problems. As soon as you unplug the MBW the network goes back to normal.

What Firmware does the MBW have?

I will check the firmware I have when I update it. I will update it on Jan. 19th and let you know.

Also just an FYI I have owned this MBW for several months with no issues. I access it with my TV to watch videos and pictures.