Wmv and mp4 problem?

i have recently purschased a wd tv lie plus. i plaed files… after playing one of mkv files wd tv stops playing everything…someone on this forum told me that i blad a bad mkv so use mkvmerge… after this wd tv works fine. but now same is the problem with WMV and MP4 …its stops playing everything…what can i do now?

It might have been me – yes, after you play a “bad” MKV file you will indeed have this problem.

But you are saying you play a WMV or MP4 file and you also get the Live to stop working?  Can you post the MediaInfo on one of these files for us to look at?

yup u have told me about mkvmerge…

here is the file info

File Size ------- 3.9gb
Length ---------- 46:19
Resolution ------ 1920x1080
Container ------- wmv
Video Codec ----- wmvc1
Audio Codec ----- wma2
Frame Rate ------ 30

and please tell me which the best converter to convert files to mkv and m2ts

No, we need to see the full MediaInfo on that file (it’s freeware and the results will be around 50-60 lines).

Oh, and Handbrake is the absolute best thing to use to convert nearly anything to MKV – use the High Profile preset (but change the output type to MKV) and you will get a file that is absolutely perfect in quality and will play excellent on the Live.

how can we check full media info?

Get the program MediaInfo (freeware) and post the complete information about the file here (it has an option to output the text).

General
Complete name                    : K:\1080HD\bblib_debbie_white_1920_12000-hd.wmv
Format                           : Windows Media
File size                        : 3.67 GiB
Duration                         : 44mn 28s
Overall bit rate                 : 11.8 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate         : 12.1 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-08-07 14:02:40.000

Video
ID                               : 2
Format                           : VC-1
Codec ID                         : WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                    : Microsoft
Bit rate                         : 1 bps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.000
Stream size                      : 333 Bytes (0%)

Audio
ID                               : 1
Format                           : WMA
Format version                   : Version 2
Codec ID                         : 161
Codec ID/Info                    : Windows Media Audio
Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 40.7 MiB (1%)

I’m pretty sure the Live doesn’t support that video codec.  If so, that would be the problem.

WVC1 is the Windows Media Video 9 ADVANCED codec (WMV9 Advanced.)   Indeed, the WDTV Lives support VC1 (WMV9) but not the advanced codec.

I too have a lot of problems with WMV files. They all play perfectly on my PC but most of them will freeze when I try and play them on my WD TV Live. When they freeze I back out of the file and when I try playing anything else this would reboot the WD player. I am using the latest firmware. Seems like it doesnt handle WMV files very well. I have quite a lot of WMV files and they are very well compressed. Converting them to another format would take up too much room not to mention the time required to do this. Wondering then the unit is going to better support WMV files if ever?

If it’s an issue that the chipset doesn’t handle the codec within the wmv (or dosen’t handle it well), then the answer is “never”, without a rebuild using a different chip.

What codec is it?