Windows System Image Backup Fails

I have a brand new 2Tb MyCloud NAS I’m trying to use for Windows Backup (to do weekly full backups) and File History (to do continuous differential backups). I can read and write the NAS with no problems using File Explorer, but when I try to do a backup, it writes a ton of stuff, then eventually (after working fine for as much as an hour, and backing up perhaps 40Gb) fails with “Error Code 0x807800C5”, which is not very helpful. This seems to be a common problem, but Googling for hours has turned up no solutions. I notice the NAS has a bunch of errors in the log file:

2017 Jul 1 09:54:05 SAMBA CIFS: Authentication for user [nobody] has FAILED.

Oddly, there are a bunch of the same errors, except with the username being my outlook.com username (the account I use for Windows login), rather than “nobody”. I do have a user account on the NAS with username rayl, which is the account Windows backup uses to login to the NAS. The backup DOES get written to the NAS, at least until it fails. So, I don’t understand why nobody and my outlook.com user name are showing up on the NAS log.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Ray L.

Can’t help you fix the windows backup issue, but I’d suggest Macrium Reflect as an alternative that works very well with the MyCloud. I’ve used it a number of times to replace the HDD in a PC, as it allows you to replace with a different size HDD, something win7 system backup would not do.

1 Like

It seems to be the System Image Backup that is the problem. If I turn that off, then the rest of the backup goes without a hitch. But, I still don’t know where to go from here…

I’m trying to do this using the built-in tools, because I’ve had so many headaches in the past with third-party backup apps. Seems like every time Windows update, the backups stop happening, and I have to spend an hour on the phone with someone in India or Taiwan to get them working again. The built-in tools are not sophisticated, but they are reliable.

Regards,
Ray L.

The NAS error about CIFS doesn’t mean anything, it’s your windows system scanning for available network shares , mine does the same constantly.

Good to know. Thanks.

Regards,
Ray L.

1 Like