Windows Security Password required to access or map drives

My drives were mapped to my PC perfectly and have always worked perfectly. I now can’t access them. I get a pop up box from Windows Security asking for a user name and password. I’ve tried my windows one, router one and WD one, none of which work. I’ve tried remapping the drive and end up with the same pop up and I’m at a loss of what to do as I can no longer copy/manage files on my WD Drive. Through the PC, I can still access the setting of the my WD Live via the web, so I know its connected to my wireless network. My WD is set up as ‘public’.

The things which have changed since I last connected : Upgraded to Windows 10 and have a new BT Home Hub router.

HELP !!!

Those are big changes… Some things to consider.

• Does your Windows’ user account have admin priviledges?
  • Do you have all your Windows 10 updates?
  • Can you ping the drive? Access the Dashboard?
  • Are you attempting to access the drive using the Edge browser? If so, use IE 11, Chrome, or Firefox.

Does your Windows’ user account have admin priviledges? - I assume so as I am the owner of this laptop.
Do you have all your Windows 10 updates? Yes, all updated yesterday.
Can you ping the drive? Access the Dashboard? Yes and Yes.
Are you attempting to access the drive using the Edge browser? If so, use IE 11, Chrome, or Firefox. No, IE 11 for the dashboard.

I really have no idea how to get access to my drives again.

Make sure you have “Turn on network discovery” and “Turn on file and printer sharing”. These options are in the “Advanced sharing options” of the “Network and Sharing Center”.

On that same “Advanced sharing options” display you will see your adapter’s network profile. It needs to be “private” for the Windows Network Discovery function to work. I recently discovered that Windows 10 will change that profile to “Public” when you switch routers. Depending on your security settings, changing this setting can be tricky. If you are unsure how to do this, search the web for “make this pc discoverable windows 10”. There are pretty good tutorials out there.

You also need to allow “NetBIOS over TCP/IP”. You probably already have that unless you are using a static IP address, but it’s worth checking. And that option is very well hidden. Search the web for “NetBIOS over TCP/IP”.

There are probably other requirements that I’ve forgotten.

Thanks pokeefe.

I did all of these, I think I saw you post from a while ago. Unfortunately its made no difference.

I’ve also rebooted with no success.

Its got to be to do with some kind of windows setting as the pop up security box is from Windows - ie ‘Windows Security’

I don’t believe this… I’ve done another reboot and its now working.

3 days of utter frustration and now its decided to work - I just don’t get it but I’m relieved.

It was most likely one of the updates that required a reboot to activate. We see this pretty often. I’m glad it’s working for you, now.