Windows 8

Has anybody esle tried the Windows 8 developer release yet? I just loaded on th a Virtual Hard Disk and dual boot it with Windows 7. I hate the opening page with all the tiles. I’ll play with it a bit I guess. The Vrtual Hard Disk allows you to create a bootable virtual partition is just a file and not actually format the drive.

Joe

I have, I played a bit with this release,  I agree, they need to do something with the opening page, beside that, I really like how my system is handling Windows 8…

Besides the opening window, do you guys know what major differences there are between it and 7?

I just started with it last night. Just like with Vista they’ve hid some things like run and command prompt. It’s similar to Windows 7 and I found a utility to get to the desktop and avoid the Metro mess.I created a Virtual Hard Drive instead of partitioning. It’s just a file but gets treated like a drive. I’ve noticed Fire Fox works but isn’t fully functional. You can’t change the font size.

Joe

I’ve heard that one of its main features will be for running eslates and epads.  Maybe that’s why it’s opening window looks like that.

Yep! It’s a new interface replacing Windows explorer called “Metro”, but the old Windows explorer will still be present in the final build.

I found a utility that bypasses Metro goes straight to desktop and gives you the regular start menu. Over all I’m not that excited with Windows 8. Vista was pretty doggy and Windows 7 was a noticeable improvement even the first public beta. I don’t see a big change in Windows 8 except for the Metro annoyance. The Virtual Hard Disk in Windows 7 is handy it avoids the need to actually partition to dual boot and you can just delete the file when you are done. I haven’t loaded much software yet some of it was troublesome to get it going on Windows 7.

Joe

1 Like

The Windows 8 GUI is awesome, I got the chance to play all the weekend with it and I just love it. 

What are some of the things you love about it?

Bill_S wrote:

What are some of the things you love about it?

I love that is not like Lion and didn’t kill industry standard protocols in favor of proprietary protocols that made 99% of 3rd party devices incompatible :wink:

Oh wait… So Lion = Vista? :smileyvery-happy:

I just hope that the final build of W8 doesn’t go that route… :neutral_face:

It never will… Apple has ALWAYS been like that, just not so blatently until recently. Thats why Windows suceeded where Mac OSX was an Epic Fail. The only reason Apple is doing so well is because of iOS which is actually a good product (at least if you Jailbreak it)…

1 Like

Ardvark wrote:

It never will… Apple has ALWAYS been like that, just not so blatently until recently. Thats why Windows suceeded where Mac OSX was an Epic Fail. The only reason Apple is doing so well is because of iOS which is actually a good product (at least if you Jailbreak it)…

Cheers! :smiley:

I never understood why Apple was so restrictive with their products. They remind me of Sony in the early days of VCRs who also shot them in both feet with their unwillingness to liscense other companies to build their product. I don’t think Mac even has a 10% market share and Linux and anything else don’t even make a blip while Windows has the rest.

Joe

Windows Explorer 10 will be released with Windows 8 OS.  Don’t like the opening page.  Press any key and watch what happens.  Ed Bott is a good source for anything related to Windows 8.  He even has a digital book about Windows 8 (Preview Edition) on Amazon.  The Preview Edition is missing a lot of functionality.  Remember, it’s a developers preview!