Windows 8 Preriew

Anybody else see this preview of windows 8 http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/20110602/tc_digitaltrends/microsoftofficiallyunveilswindows8 Looks like a huge pile of junk I don’t want on a desktop. scroll down a bit there is a video.

Joe

Looks great on a phone or a tablet, but a desktop??? Are we on the twilight zone or something? o.O

Looks like they’re prepping for eSlates and ePads to take over.

I don’t see myself buying or fully using this software, I’m faithful to the old XP

I still have XP on a lot of my pc’s, but 7 has been working pretty good for me.

i never said that windows 7 is not good, but it lacks the simplicity that windows xp has

No, I whole-heartedly agree with you.  I still use XP on most of my machines as well.  And that’s by choice.  But I use 7 at work all day.  So, I’ve gotten used to it.  I have a laptop with Vista on it, and I refuse to use it for anything but presentations.  I know, I could install 7 on it.  But it’s a designated machine, so I don’t bother.  I will eventually.

I hated Vista and began dual booting and playing with Windows 7 when they released the public beta. I’ve still got Vista on a VM just as a reminder of how bad it was.

Joe

I’m seriously considering converting my laptop to Linux.  With OpenOffice I can use Power Point files without much problem.  And once I get comfortable with it, I’ll just do my presentations in OpenOffice.

I’m using Linux more at home than I ever did.

I also bought a copy of Windows Home Premium and run that within a VirtualBox VM when I need to use Windows applications.

My Linux PC is a 6-core AMD Phenom with 8GB of memory and 2 Gig Network interfaces, running Fedora Core 14.

I give my Win7 VM 2 processors and 2 GB of RAM.

It’s actually FASTER than my Gateway PC running Win7 natively.   That PC is a 4-core Intel Core i3 with 6 GB of RAM.

You can also go the other way around…

You can run VirtualBox in Windows, and then run Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, debian, all of them…) in a VM and easily switch back and forth.  :)

The VMs are handy. I’ve got Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and have XP Pro and Vista on VMs for the few things that won’t work on Windows 7. I use VMware Workstation. VMware Player is now free and you can create the VM with it now. I used Virtualbox a long time ago but it was a pain networking it.

Joe

i’ve running ubuntu since it was in the 6.10 :P, i love it, and the only reason that i still use windows its because the girl dont want to learn it

moon1 wrote:

i’ve running ubuntu since it was in the 6.10 :P, i love it, and the only reason that i still use windows its because the girl dont want to learn it

That’s gonna be my problem. 

Bill_s wrote:

Moon wrote:

I’ve running bunt since it was in the 6.10 :P, I love it, and the only reason that i still use windows its because the girl dont want to learn it

That’s gonna be my problem. 

You’ll find yourself going back to windows…I wish girls would enjoy the awesomeness of Linux

Most likely.  I’m still going to try though.

I’m probably going to get kill for this but…I like Windows 7… I have other computers with Linux and stuff,…But lately, I been using Windows 7 a lot and not only for gaming ( I’m a  WOW drone)…

(run for cover)

oxter wrote:

I’m probably going to get kill for this but…I like Windows 7… I have other computers with Linux and stuff,…But lately, I been using Windows 7 a lot and not only for gaming ( I’m a  WOW drone)…

(run for cover)

:smileyvery-happy:

Well, I always had Amigas… I knew how to use DOS in the IBM world but I’d never touched Windoze until about 10 years ago.

My old PC had Win98 on it and I found it to be very unstable.  I upgraded to Win2k and never really had any further issues with it.

It was below spec and physically incapable of running XP, so I’d never tried XP.

Then I bought a new (then) PC… it came with Vista pre-installed.

I didn’t _ hate _ it quite as much as the rest of the world seems to, but I found it problematic in a few areas… especially if left running for more than an hour or two… it would bog down to a crawl and become unresponsive.

I was impressed/happy when I heard about Win7… as far as I know it was a first for M$ to have a new O/S with lower system requirements than its predecessor.

I have no major issues with it… it works fine for me.  I’m sure there still _ is _ tons of bloat that I don’t want/need, but it doesn’t seem to interfere with the use of my PC.  In fact, of all the Win versions I’ve used, I’d actually have to say I like it best. :dizzy_face:

But ya, the Win8 from the OP looks like a hunk of useless junk.  I don’t see touching it with a ten-foot pole.

I agree with you, RG, I’m starting to like W7 for the same reason.  Whatever they’ve done, it does seem like it prevents the pc from getting bogged down with excess resource useage.