Windows 7 SP1 Breaks WDTV Network Shares

The Windows sharing problem seems to be universal.

http://www.xtreamer.net/downloads/community-projects/windows-share-manager.aspx

Dowload the share manager program.

The program is basically the Windows 7 registry hack that has been circulating on a number of sites, automated so you don’t have to manually enter the registry values.

It’s certainly not universal, but if you mean that “SOMETHING” is affecting more than just WD, you’re probably right.

However, I have two completely unmodified Win7 SP1 machines that are working fine.

I checked the registries to see, and they have the values that are listed BEFORE the change, so something else must be happening to the other users…

In other words, my EveryoneIncludesAnonymous entry is still 0 and RestrictNullAccess is still 1.

I have read a number of forums regarding Windows 7 networking issues. Whatever is affecting the networking is not in the DLNA streamer devices but the way Windows 7 handles the video networking stream.

http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm

People have been complaining about choppy video over the network. I don’t know if the Windows codec issue is directly related to the network problems people are reporting or a separate issue. I tried the codec filter tweaker and solved a few problems with choppy video. I will start a separate thread just for the codec filter tweaker.    

Did try the share manager program to tweak the register setting, as expected it did not help, still only parts of shared files/folder show in wdtv.

Shares with permition for specific users only does not show anymore.

Will revert the registry settings as it did not help.

As some users with w7 have problems and others don’t is there differences in what w7 version we use?

I use W7 Home Premium OEM NOR 64bit with sp1 installed

Windows 7 Home Premium

32-Bit

Service Pack 1

No issues.  My shares still work just fine.

And yes, was a retail purchase… overwrote OEM Vista that the PC came pre-installed with.

When I initially got the WDTV Live I set:

Advanced Sharing:

• Network Discovery - On
  • File And Printer Sharing - On
  • Public Folder Sharing - Off
  • 128-Bit Encryption
  • Password-Protected Sharing - Off
  • Allow Windows to manage Homegroup connections

Media Sharing takes me to the same settings window that Homegroup does.

• Name Your Media Library: Jim
  • Show Devices On All Networks:
  1. Media Programs On This PC - Allowed
  2. RG’S PC - Allowed
  3. Mrs. RG’s PC - Allowed
  4. WDTVLIVE - Allowed

I also had to reset the workgroup name… Windoze has been periodically resetting mine to “WORKGROUP” instead of “HOME” since way back in the Win2k days – never been able to figure why it changes sometimes.  Also, some folders that had been set to share with “everyone” had been unshared by Windoze for no particular reason, and I had to re-share them.

Once I re-booted the PC after the workgroup change, the shares were working fine.

Since then, I’ve turned password-protected sharing ON.  I created a new user account on the PC: “WDTV”.  I entered the username and password on the WDTV.  All files and folders on the PC that are shared with “WDTV” have worked fine from that point on.

I have finally found the cause of my problem.

In fact, it was related to Avast 6 and not to Windows 7 service pack 1.

The last pre-release of Avast 6 (6.0.1044.0) fix the issue! Now I can see all my shared files in my WD TV Live again!

2 Likes

I can confirm that uninstalling avast (6.0.1000) Free solved my sharing issues.

Tried deactivating all the shields at first but it did not help.

Still runnig windows 7 sp1.

tried reinstalling avast 6.0.1000 and the problem came back, will uninstall again and install 6.0.1044 beta instead.

Avast 6.0.1044 proved to be working for me also.

link to avast forum with users confirming the issue: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72798.0

download avast 6.0.1044:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=74515

Win 7 Ultimate x64 here. Ever since sp1 my network shares aren’t working anymore. I don’t use Avast.

Stone_Age wrote:

Win 7 Ultimate x64 here. Ever since sp1 my network shares aren’t working anymore. I don’t use Avast.

Or any other firewall apart from the Windows standard one???

Nope no other firewalls.

speedygonzalez wrote:

I have finally found the cause of my problem.

In fact, it was related to Avast 6 and not to Windows 7 service pack 1.

The last pre-release of Avast 6 (6.0.1044.0) fix the issue! Now I can see all my shared files in my WD TV Live again!

I thank-you very much for figuring this out!!  It was beginning to become a pain!!

I registered on this Forum just to say thank you.

I’ve spent almost a month, re-installed windows 7 twice with the same problems. never thought to try it before installing avast.

I’ve got a PBO and running Mede8er firmware and I’ve tried re-flashing the PBO with many different firmwares.

Who would have thought it was my trusted anti virus program of 5 years now.

Thanks alot guys.

I just installed SP1 and I have the same problem. Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, disabled windows firewall, removed MS Security essentials (never used Avast),  did the registry tweaks and still no go! I added granted anonymous read on the share and made a new share for testing, but nothing shows up.

WD Live Plus HD 1.05.04_B 

I always knew WD’s choice to rely solely on auto discovery would be a problem sooner, or later. I can see my iMac shares (OS X 10.6.7) but none of my windows shares show up anymore. Is there a thread some where else that I missed or is this still an issue?

Well, it’s not just SP1.   Both of my Win7 machines are running SP1 and I have no issues with their shares.

So it may be SP1 in combination with something else…

I run Windows 7 SP1 as well on 2 machines with no issues with the WD Live Plus. Can your iMac see your Windows shares? Perhaps reinstalling File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks in the Properties of your network connection might help? Just go to Control Panel and the Network and Sharing Center.

I must be lucky, because all of my PC’s have this issue including a 3 day old laptop. All of the Win 7 computers can see each other fine. My iMac, Android phones, WD TV, WD TV PLUS and Gentoo box can not browse to any of my shares. I can however directly connect to any share with the network path by machine name so wins is working. Sadly that (setting the path to the network share) is not an option with my WD TV’s.

I will try an R&R of file and print sharing, I forgot all about doing that back in the Win 95/98 days. just hope it works.

A cursory search around shows a lot of people encounter something similar with the Computer Browser service and it moving around. Perhaps when you installed SP1 there is a master browser issue somewhere. Check this out:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/WDTV-LIVE-cannot-see-windows-computers-in-networkshares-but-can/m-p/113524/highlight/true#M5769

Problem solved! Definitely  some kind of funky Master Browser election (since I never had the problem of the service not running) issue after the SP1 install.

Basically I just blacked out my entire network. Even though most of my network components had been rebooted during my trouble shooting I decided to power everything on my network off. Router, switches, phones, tablets, PC’s, I mean everything was fully powered down. Then I powered up the router, switch, my PC with the share, and the WD TV, and like magic it worked. I started powering up other devices, and so far so good. 

Glad this wasn’t a bigger problem, but it definitely shows the need to be able to statically map shares on the WDTV! Besides if you can map your shares you would no longer have to see your music and video shares when opening your photos, and vice versa.

I am having the missing file problem.

Have upgraded to the latest version of avast but am still having the problem. (Was also experiencing it with v 5).

I can’t seem to get hold of avast 6.0.1044. 

Is that still available somewhere or is there another workround?

Thanks in advanc