Windows 7 Backup does not show MyCloud as an option

I purchased the 3TB MyCloud yesterday. It is connected directly to my Belkin N600 router using the ethernet cable supplied with the MyCloud. The router is supposedly capable of gigabit speeds. I initially attempted to back up pictures and documents from my laptop. In 24 hrs, only 4GB was backed up out of a total of 116GB and another 4GB was reported as failed to backup. That’s unusably slow.

My laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium. I next tried to backup using Windows backup. When I get to the of selecting a drive to back up to, I don’t have the option to select a network drive. There should be a button to push to the right of the Refresh button, but there’s no button there.

I have run the self tests and the drive says it is ok. I update the firmware in both the router and the MyCloud. My Windows 7 Home Professional has all current patches. 

I was able to assign a drive letter (Z:) to the Jeff folder on the MyCloud, but Windows Backup still won’t give me the button to select a network drive. 

Any suggestions?

Windows backup does not allow you to backup to network attached storage, this is a limitation of Windows.

You can download WD Smartware from here:  http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?wdc_lang=en&fid=wdsfMyCloud to backup to the MyCloud.

1 Like

Thanks, Tinwarble. I didn’t appreciate the difference between NAS and an external drive. It makes sense now that you point it out. Unfortunately, I already tried the WD Smartware solution. It was incredibly slow. It took about 24 hours to back up only 4GB out of 116 GB. That would be 29 days of continuous operation to make just one backup, assuming it didn’t fail. I need something that can back up 116GB overnight once a week, with incremental backups nightly. Is that unreasonable? I don’t have to use the drive as NAS, but I was hoping for something that would back up my wife’s and daughter’s laptops automatically, with no intervention on their part.

Thanks for your response and any further suggestions.

Microsoft has an elegant utility called Sync Toy. I’ve successfully used to to backup/populate My Cloud.

I have the same problem and after doing research i found out windows 7 home premium does not allow it.  other versions allow windows 7 backup over a network.  otherwise windows 7 home premium has to have the could device plugged in by a USB cable.   I havent tried it yet.   dont have the cable yet to try it

Fludwick wrote:

I have the same problem and after doing research i found out windows 7 home premium does not allow it.  other versions allow windows 7 backup over a network.  otherwise windows 7 home premium has to have the could device plugged in by a USB cable.   I havent tried it yet.   dont have the cable yet to try it

Well you can’t use the USB on the mycloud as that port only accepts drives and not computer connection.