[Windows] 4TB My Cloud - No Shares/Content appears when viewing in Windows Explorer

In light of Level 2 support failing to help me find a resolution last night, I’m really hoping someone here in the community can help a guy out in need! 

To troubleshoot, I’ve tried the following.

• Reset and reboot the drive.
  • Disable/renable my network connections.
  • Restart the Windows machine.
  • Resinstall WD SmartWare.

Nothing seems to work. The data is present and all devices can access it via their standard method except for my primary Windows machine.

Could anyone help?

Please clarify some items:

is the a new device? or has it been working and quit?

what does “The data is present and all devices can access it via their standard method” really mean in detail?

you say except primary Windows PC. do you have other PCs that ore ok?

1 Like

is the a new device? or has it been working and quit?

• Though the device is fairly new, it was fully operational on all devices prior to yesterday afternoon. Several users and shares have been created on the device.

what does “The data is present and all devices can access it via their standard method” really mean in detail?

• The drive is loaded with misc. files, photos, and videos. These files are accessible via Finder on the MacBook and the dedicated iOS apps on my mobile devices. It is on the Windows machine that cannot see any of the shares/files via Windows Explorer. Note: My Cloud Desktop on the Windows machine does see all of the content.

you say except primary Windows PC. do you have other PCs that ore ok?

• I have only one Windows machine in the household. The rest of the devices are outlined above.

Has it been working on the Windows PC before? Any updates?

I don’t know Macs at all but I assume finder is similier to Window explorer

Not really sure what My Cloud desktop is. there is a link to the management website thet is installed but I forget the name. Personal opionion just us Windows explorer, map a drive if you want it alway connected

go to the management interface and see what the IP address of the my cloud is. setting it to a static non-DHCP open IP address is a good idea

Then in Windows explorer enter \IPaddress and see if you find the shares. If this dosn’t work check your network settings.

in control panel network there will be an option for file and printer shareing, be sure it is on. exact location varies by Windows version

Has it been working on the Windows PC before? Any updates?

• As of yesterday (8/5) morning, the WD My Cloud shares were fully accessible via Windows File Explorer. No updates or system-wide changes were made before it randomly stopped showing the shares in the late afternoon.

I don’t know Macs at all but I assume finder is similier to Window explorer

• That is correct.

Not really sure what My Cloud desktop is. there is a link to the management website thet is installed but I forget the name. Personal opionion just us Windows explorer, map a drive if you want it alway connected

• My Cloud Desktop is the official WD program for use with a My Cloud device. My goal is to use the device via file explorer and drive mapping but, in light of my situation, that simply isn’t possible.

go to the management interface and see what the IP address of the my cloud is. setting it to a static non-DHCP open IP address is a good idea. Then in Windows explorer enter \IPaddress and see if you find the shares. If this dosn’t work check your network settings.

• The IP is static and cannot be the cause of the issue. Note: Trying to access the drive via its direct IP address in windows explorer reveals the same empty contents as shown when going through the Network devices in the file explorer side bar. I’ve reset and double-checked my network settings—they aren’t the cause of the problem.

in control panel network there will be an option for file and printer shareing, be sure it is on. exact location varies by Windows version

• File and printer sharing is fully enabled.

i am running out of ideas

in a windows command prompt try ping [my cloud IP address] if it times out or is inconsistant it is a network issue.

long shot but try rebooting any network switches and or routers that you have.

have you used SSH with the My Cloud? would you be comfortable with this?

i am a about to take the disks out and use them for something else. What a pain. I have been in IT for 35 years. THis cloud is killing me. I do not have time for something that does not work.

OK…now to my problem…

It was showing up fine in windows explorer and now cannot reach it that way.

I can log into mycloud and see files, but cannot move them.

making me crazy in Georgia…

Help…

thx