Windows 24H2 + WD = blue screens

As we’d all like this to be fixed sooner, rather than later, I’d suggest making some noise on Reddit. It’s been proven that a lot of MS devs spend a lot of time on Reddit, reading through all sorts of stuff, so why shouldn’t we take advantage of that?

The thread in question: Reddit - Dive into anything

1 Like

Same problem here with a SN770, came back to 23H2 and blocked future update in registry until they correct the windows update or SSD firmware…

I think I’m having the same issue with blue screens. I am on 24H2 and have a SN580 2TB. I built this PC this week and have been random blue screens all week. In addition when playing Starfield, I often get stuck on loading screens and the PC reboots (but no blue screen). All the crashes seem to be initiated by “event 11 stornvme” based on the Event manager.

What is the recommended action? Should I just return my SSD and get some other one or try the fixes in this topic?

You might as well try these tweaks that were mentioned above. Unless your warranty is already due, I’d just refund the drive on account of simple malfunctioning of the NVMe, and purchase another one.

Sn770 - 731120wd
Msi b650-s gaming - E7E26AMS.1G3

Brand new system less than a week old, all up to date drivers installed

Persistant bsod after boot or at randkm jntervals, boot looping

Stornvme 11 raidport 1
Volgmgr 46
Volgmr 161
Kernel 41

Keep making noise on Reddit, people! Things are looking good…

I tried setting the HMBAllocationPolicy to 0 and this seems to have fixed the crashes. However, I’m not very technologically savvy, so can anyone tell me if there is any risk involved with this procedure? I think I saw on some other forum someone suggesting that it might wear out the SSD faster.

There is no risk involved in tweaking the HMB policy. The only thing that tweak will impact, is your drive’s R/W performance. You might want to try setting this to the value of “2”, as this will preserve the performance, while also fixing some of the issues with cache allocation.

It’s probably best for performance to set the buffer to 64MB instead of disabling it via HMBAllocationPolicy 0.

I’ve made a registry file that should work for all SN770s and maybe other drives for people that don’t want to mess with regedit. You can download it here: Windows 11 Reg fix for SN770 (and other) HMB force to 64M · GitHub (right click on raw > save link as) then double click on the downloaded file.

2 Likes

You’re a godsend, nissel! Cheers for that .reg file! :smiley:

Thanks a lot! So this will work with the SN 580 as well?

Maybe, depends if it has the same device id. If you can look in device manager and give me your device id I can update the script if needed.

The DEV_5017 part in my example.

DEV_5041&SUBSYS_504115B7&REV_01. Is this the correct part?

Ok I’ve added that device to the file on github, if you download the latest revision it should work for you

2 Likes

Cheers, mate! I ran the script and rebooted. I’ll let you know if I run into any problems.

How do I revert to the default settings in case WD or Microsoft patch the issue in the future?

Good point, I’ve just made Registry file to remove the HMB policy entries · GitHub to remove them.

4 Likes

Which revision should I download for my SN770?

The current one should support both SN770 and SN580

1 Like

Cheers! :grinning:

Okay, so I just had two crashes with event 11 stornvme codes. I removed the HMB policy entries and set HMB allocation back to 0 since this seems to be stable.