Windows 10 won't recognice My Book 4TB

I bought a My Book 4 TB a while back, but didn’t install it because of the trauma (LOL) wherein I knew it would wind up not being recognized by my computer (as per all my usual WD external drives).

Well, I finally hooked it up and my computer immediately found the new drive, called it “L”, as I have 4 other external WD drives. Great! Sigh of relief.

I backed up a lot of date onto the new “L” drive, turned off my computer after the backup complete, and when I booted up later … the computer can’t find “L”. Now the computer doesn’t recognize “L”.

I hate this, lol.

Anyhow, can anybody get me going or should I just break down and call tech support?

Hello,

Before contacting support I recommend you try some basic troubleshooting.

1- Connect the power adapter to the wall directly.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the PC, not through a hub).

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound windows makes when recognizes a USB device.

4- Go to "Disk Management” to verify if the drive shows up there.

If the drive shows up in Disk Management but it is not seen on Computer, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.