Windows 10 setup error WD Drive Manager (x86) can not be installed on systems earlier than

Hello,

I am writing for some help. A few years ago (in 2009 to be more specific), I bought a Western Digital My Passport Elite portable 320 GB hard drive which came with the software WD Anywhere Backup which is compatible with Windows XP and Windows 7. The program WD Anywhere Backup was made by the company Memeo. The Western Digital portable hard drive also came with a product key for the software.

For a few years now, I had a PC with Windows 7 that had been running this program perfectly.

I recently upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64 bit OS). Before I upgraded, I uninstalled WD Anywhere Backup so as to not interfere with the upgrade. My plan now is to reinstall the program and to reactivate my backup plan. I didn’t use WD Sync or Copy Application Software which came preloaded with the hard drive.

My Western Digital hard drive also came with Memeo’s WD Anywhere Backup and contained a product key to activate it. That program has worked for several years now on my PC with Windows 7.

When I ran the setup.exe file in the folder WD_Windows_Tools, I get the error message “WD Drive Manager (x86) can not be installed on systems earlier than”. The error gets cut off after the word “than”.

I also tried changing the compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 2), Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and Windows 7 and running as an administrator but still no luck.

Does anyone know how to resolve this issue in order for me to reinstall the program on my PC with Windows 10 (upgraded from Windows 7)? And why is the setup.exe not able to run on my upgraded PC with Windows 10?

I suspect that the hard drive programs which include WD Anywhere Backup are not supported in Windows 10 (or Windows 8) but that is just a guess. I just find it frustrating that the hard drive and the backup software worked without problem on my PC with Windows 7, but after upgrading to Windows 10 I am unable to reinstall the backup software.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Unfortunately, that application is not fully compatible with Windows 10. As a recommendation, try using a different backup software.

In this case, since you have a previews backup, try to get a different PC with a previews OS to get your files out of the drive.