Windows 10 Mobile - Microsoft Edge discrimination

It seems incredible, but it’s true.

Western Digital have no support at all for Windows 10 mobile users. Not a single Windows 10 MyCloud App. And, the worst thing is, MyCloud.com can’t be accesed on Microsoft Edge Browser (then and now, November 2016)… Is this a joke?

Western Digital advertises MyCloud like this:
“Access and share your photos and videos from wherever, whenever you have an Internet connection.”
"Sign in to MyCloud.com or use the My Cloud app on your phone or tablet to connect directly to your personal cloud."

These are pure lies! They do no support Windows 10 Mobile, becasue they only develop Apps for Android and iOS, and you canno’t acces to mycloud.com from your Windows 10 Phone, because the main browser is Edge, and WD refuses to support Edge for no apparent reason. So, they try to force people to use iPhones or Galaxy phones…

This is more than an offense for all trusting users that buys their product.

What is the excuse WD have for not supporting Edge, while ANY site can be seen/used perfecly in Edge -one of the most secure browsers out there-?

What is the excuse for WD to NOT DEVELOPING 1 UWP App for Windows 10 -the world’s most used OS-? WD need only to develop a single App for UWP, that is the same App for PC, Tablets and Phones that runs Windows 10. This is pure discrimination and an insult for people wich uses Windows.

What do you think?

1 Like

This site is primarily a user to user support forum. WD dropped Windows Phone support LAST YEAR. There are numerous discussions in this subforum about WD’s decision and at least one discussion in the Cloud Ideas subforum about it, not to mention discussions, as you discovered, in the My Cloud 3rd Party & Mobile Apps subforum.

Fact is that Window Phone currently occupies a very tiny margin of the entire mobile device market. Generally less than 3% over time for the last year or two.

If you cannot install an alternate web browser, for example like Firefox or Chrome, to your Windows Mobile device then blame Microsoft. You should also blame Microsoft for Edge being a crummy web browser that is well known for having trouble displaying web sites from across the Internet.

Fact is that generally the Windows mobile/phone is not mentioned on the My Cloud product box at all (I know the image below is hard to read). From what I remember Microsoft Edge is also not mentioned.

Windows Phone/Mobile users can use a file manager app to access the My Cloud on the local network. Or use FTP (insecure) to access the My Cloud remotely, or one can install a third party web browser (Chrome/Firefox) to the Windows Phone/Mobile device they can use the MyCloud.com web portal to access the My Cloud remotely.

Nobody uses Windows phones.
Google for market share.
Google for the mess Microsoft has made of its attempts to make phones and a phone OS.
Google how Microsoft is pulling out of the phone business.

Now ask yourself why WD would expend engineering effort to a dead platform.
It’s a commercial decision.

Windows 10 Desktop is a different matter, but it doesn’t need the app to use the NAS.
Windows 10 tablets? Again, Google tablet OS market share.

They did, see my reply to their post in a different subforum where they made a similar complaint. :wink:

https://community.wd.com/t/problem-with-microsoft-windows-10-mobile-app/175109/16

Thanks. I don’t use WD s/w, so I don’t read that forum…
i’m minded to agree with Mike’s comment:

Search this forum closely and you will find these issues mentioned throughout the forum. Egads, Windows phone fans are worse than Apple fanboys and always want to blame someone else for the issues they experience.

My advice: dump your Windows phone for one that is supported by all app makers! Face the facts – you have the wrong phone!

Especially the wrong phone bit…

Im using Windows Phone, so youre wrong!

1 Like

Please give me a list of incompatible sites. I’M eager to see them! A tiny 3% of market share. In USA? So… I’m nof from USA, I live in another country, you know, is not just USA the World… And a 3% is not 3 people… how many customers represents that 3%??? Can you explain me better?

I dont use Google either… you know that is not the only search engine, isn’t?

I don’t live in the USA. But Microsoft Phone is dead; Microsoft have pulled out of the mobile phone OS market. It’s a dead platform, everywhere in the world. Accept it.

This is just unbelievable! It’s 2017, espaciobyte, wake up!!!

Don’t tell me; Bing, right…?

You are responding to a post I made nearly seven months ago. At the time I made that post, Edge DID have issues with a number of websites. Since then things have gotten better, apparently. Feel free to use your favorite search engine and search for “edge doesn’t work” and you’ll find a number of discussions on Edge problems.

Uh not sure why you are replying to me on that. I believe my Google comment was directed at another user at the time.

And yes there are a number of other search engines available. However, by and large Google is the dominate search engine out there. If you don’t use it, good for you. Use what works.

Probably still ranting at my posts, where I used ‘google’ as a synonym for ‘do an internet search’.

My ‘wake up!!!’ was repeating their words on the other thread about Edge. I’d never use that many exclamation marks…

Guys, let;s just quit responding to posts about these discontinued-soon Windows phones. No one likes hearing their favorite phone is a loser, and we catch the flack .:grin:

Granted, the 50 million Windows phone users are less than those who use the other platforms, but that is no reason for WD to completely ignore us. I also use Edge as my primary browser on the desktop, which works great in virtually all situations I have encountered (WD My Cloud and Primavera via Oracle have been the places where I have to drop back to Internet Explorer). It would be great if WD would decide to support ALL of their customers, and fix their website to work on Edge browsers, which are on nearly half a billion devices. There should be no downside to this decision.

And now my soapbox:
It is not a “dead platform”, but it is certainly holding only a small percentage of the installed user base (unfortunately, when you do an Internet search on market share of mobile OSes, the results invariably focus on device sales, which does not equal the number of users). And by the way, I do not Ggle anything (I will Bing, or use some other search engine), as I detest the effort they put it to push down market share of Windows Phone when it was gaining market share several years ago (they didn’t just ignore us, but they hired their attorneys to go after developers who created applications to do what Ggle said they would not spend the effort to create). G**gle used their muscle to harm our platform, doing what Microsoft got in trouble for trying to do to them long ago.

Let’s go in order:

1. Yes windows mobile is (was) a lovely OS, I already miss it, unfortunately nadella just killed it, let’s hope for windows on ARM for next yer
  2. Yes I can understand there was no point to make an app for windows 10 mobile because of low market share, but windows 10 it’s not only mobile: desktop, tablet, 2in1, xbox, hololens, surface hub…
  3. There is totally no technical reason to cut Edge out, it’s a really good browser, specially if you support IE, funny that new my cloud home devices support Edge
  4. I agree google is not the only search engine, I don’t use it as I don’t use any google service
  5. what’s funny about the users comments in this topic? they’re clearly ms haters, bashing ms and they’re users, happy that windows mobile failed… but they don’t understand that now with 2 competitors on mobile instead of 3, it’s worst for everybody even if you use ios or android, because there is less competition and they’ll me even more lazy to innovate and provide quality products… but please go on

I’m on Windows Phone… come Pry it from my cold dead hands…

However not having WD My Cloud Support on Microsoft Edge is boardline unforgivable at this stage.

Could not have said this Any Better. Nice work

I note your stance about not using Google for anything, and your avatar image. Not much love for Google, then? Dare I say ‘google hater’…?

I don’t waste my energy ‘hating’ corporations. Not surprisingly, I have windows running on a desktop machine, an all-in-one, and a tablet. They all need more care and attention than my android devices. I also own three WinMobile PDAs, although they’re getting a bit long in the tooth now, and replaced by android devices.

I’m simply a pragmatist.

I totally forgot to reply to this conversation, attached you can see mycloud in edge, just letting the website believe that I’m using internet explorer, no surprise that it works perfectly as I predicted

p.s.
fun fact the new my cloud home automagically supports edge