Win XP an Win 7 64bit

Can this drive  “My Passport Elite 500gb”" bo back and forth between OS’s. Have XP SP3 32bit  on desktop and Win7 on Laptop (installing  passport on XP first.).

Thanks

LarryR

It shouldn’t be a problem.

Joe

1 Like

Yes it can as long as the file system is ntfs

1 Like

Thanks for the information. If i read the install in the manual right . I don’t want to install the software (read some things about it) when the new hardware wizard pops up i just install the driver and Smartware does not get installed.

You do want to install the SES driver or you will be prompted every time the drive connects. since you don’t want the Smartware I would not bother with the firmware updates unless you have some issue. Remember never trust one drive internal or external with important data no matter who makes it.

Joe

1 Like

True on the single drive deal. I usually use DVD’s ot CD’s ,but sorting through them is a pain. Figured i’d transfer to drives then sort. Also won’t forget the SES driver. I think i will keep an eye on the software for a while and see if it gets better after reading the problems people have with it.

Thanks

I’ve got one of the older ones with the irritating VCD. I never updated anything and just disabled it in device manager after seeing the problems with updating firmware.

Joe

1 Like

Thanks for thr information on the device manager.

Thanks

Installed it  Checked ny My Computer shows up  as Passport 465GB. But it makes a clicking noise when it runs. i sent a test file an no clicking. Should it go back or is this normal? never had external drive. I have had the click of dead before so wondering about this.

Thanks

My Passport should not click. (You could hear spin up/down or head parking sound if you place it against your ear) It is either getting low power through USB or indication of an impending hardware failure.

1 Like

Followup on install .  It didn’t even give me the option of installing the software. THe only thing i saw was the new wizard. an a couple of popups iby the sys tray… Don’t see the software when i open the drive. Folowup on click  moved a few MB of music to it no click then played an then deleted all  still no click. Wonder if it does it only at startup  an when connecting to system?.

That’s what i thought so back it goes. Best not to chance it.

Thanks

Went to BB and replaced it . The only clicking i get now is when it starts up then no more clicking just normal  light activity. Also thanks for the info on turning off the VCD in device manager  since i did not install it.  Question  if i wanted to use it how would i install it?.

Thanks all for the help

SES Driver Download

Just enable unknown/other device from devic manager first.

http://download.wdc.com/smartware/WD_SES_Device_Driver.zip

1 Like

Have the SESdriver installed and unit works(dsabled the VCD in device manager) . Only things weird . One went i went to delete a folder it would not saying another person or program was using it (Some reason XP likes to do that)and i could not disconnect the drive  via hardware safety removal(sys tray).

I shut down the computer then remove drive an later restarted and deleted folder. Two the clicking only happens in the dock and when starting up. Did not click when attached to laptop with out dock. The software  i saw had some interesting things like the PW lock, temp indicator,and capacity lighs. Not inerested in the Backup part  to bad they had to bundle it all to gether ,instead of letting you use what  you want.

Thanks

Wjat antivirus do you have? Avast,Avira and some others can cause the problem of not being able to revome the drive.

Joe

1 Like

norton 2010. Yay i have had it do it to thumb drives so sutting down to remove it is pain but liveable.