Will the WD TV Play be able to play content from a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 over DLNA?

I have a client who has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7 inch and wants to get content to his older non Smart TV.

Having looked through the specs it appears Samsung have crippled this device and not given it MHL output for HDMI connection or their AllShare Cast screen sharing software.

The specification does however state it has DLNA support and deep in the manual: “File sharing: Activate media sharing to allow other DLNA-enabled devices to access media files on your device.”

Doing some research, the WD TV Play media link seems to be the cheapest, branded device I can find that might help me out. The specs say it can receive streams over DLNA, I just want to confirm before taking the plunge and directing my client to it. 

I’m aware file formats might throw up compatibility issues later on but as long as the actual concept is sound, is this what I should be looking for?

Hello,

Regardless the device that you are using, if you are able to install a compliant DNLA server, it should work.

The Samsung Tab 7 manual simply has an option to enable File Sharing in the settings, which, according to their sketchy manual is supposedly DLNA compliant.

I’m assuming if this acts as a media sever then the WD Play can simply locate it on the home network and let you browse through shared folders? I’ve not seen the Play interface before.