WiFi 5Ghz signals not available on WD My Passport Wireless Pro

Hello everyone, I’ve been using the WD My Passport Wireless Pro without any major issues as an external drive, but now I wanted to use its wireless connectivity.

I’ve successfully connected to my 5GHz network for a bit, and then I’ve upgraded the firmware on the device to My Passport Wireless Pro v1.04.17 and all the 5GHz networks in the area are not being shown anymore. I’ve tried connecting to mine using the “Other” option, but that did nothing.

I’ve tried doing a power cycle, restarting my router, and just changing different settings in the dashboard, no luck.

My next test would be to reset the device to its defaults. I wanted to avoid that, but oh well.

Is this a known bug? is there a workaround?

Thanks!

Update

• Resetting the device to its defaults did nothing.
  • Accessing the device through SSH and executing iwlist wlan0 scan will show 5Ghz networks (I’ve also realised that there’s wlan1, wlan2, and wlan3, is that normal?)

My unit works perfectly on either band and even when connected to my home wi-fi. I have never used SSH on my WD devices.
I refer you to the complete user manual for your unit. You need to use the Settings in the My Cloud app to properly set these gadgets up.

Thanks for your reply @mike27oct, all my efforts where done through the correspondent dashboard ui in the WD device. The SSH check was only to make sure that it’s not a hardware issue.

For some reason, the Linux system sees all the networks but the WD Dashboard does not

I hope you take my suggestions.

wlan1, wlan2, and wlan3 are normal. They are use for 2.4GHz, 5.0ghz and bridge. If you able to scan for 5Gbz network through using SSH then there are something wrong with the Dashboard not able to send the command or grab the list. Have you to roll back to previous firmware? I think there is a file you need to change to be able to roll back to previous firmware.

I have the very exact problem. I’m connected to the device at 5GHz but the device does not see other 5GHz networks to connect to internet. I’ve done everything such as factory reset etc but no success yet