Why is WD not issuing any official communications regarding WD Mavericks data loss issue?

It’s been 2 weeks since the issue was announced, and not a single official update as to what is going on.

Why?

A whole heap of customers have lost data.  They deserve an update.

A whole heap of customers, myself included, have stopped using their WD equipment for fear of losing their data.  When can we access our data again?  We deserve an update.

1 Like

Was Maverick listed as an accepted OS by WD?  Have you heard anything from Apple? They made the OS causing the problem. They aren’t know to be overly inclusive when developing products.

Joe

Joe - I’m missing the point of your message.

WD have acknowledged that they are having issues.  That was over 2 weeks ago.  Since then they haven’t said anything.  I’ve asked for an update.  I don’t understand why they are remaining silent and hanging their customers out to dry.

There is certainly a lot of other posts on the web that suggests that brands other than WD have also experienced problems, and these might be genuine, or just people latching onto seemingly a related coincidence.  

Who knows?  Actually, WD would know.  But they aren’t telling us.

I’ve stopped using ALL external drives until there is some guidance - if it’s confined to WD only and no other brands then I’ll start using the other external drives that I have.  If however it’s widespread and the root cause is an Apple issue then I certainly don’t want to risk other drives.

Communicating with customers is never a bad thing.

1 Like

So it’s been over a week since I posted the initial post, and now over 3 weeks since the problem occurred.

And WD still haven’t provided any public update regarding the issue.  No details about the root cause.  No details about when the software will be fixed and re-issued.  Nothing.

Great case study on how not to handle a crisis.

They have released updates on some of their utilities today, with release notes saying they fixed the data loss issue. 

and pigs fly, and my sister breeds Unicorns   :smileyvery-happy:

Greg_Priestley wrote:

Joe - I’m missing the point of your message.

WD have acknowledged that they are having issues.  That was over 2 weeks ago.  Since then they haven’t said anything.  I’ve asked for an update.  I don’t understand why they are remaining silent and hanging their customers out to dry.

There is certainly a lot of other posts on the web that suggests that brands other than WD have also experienced problems, and these might be genuine, or just people latching onto seemingly a related coincidence.  

Who knows?  Actually, WD would know.  But they aren’t telling us.

I’ve stopped using ALL external drives until there is some guidance - if it’s confined to WD only and no other brands then I’ll start using the other external drives that I have.  If however it’s widespread and the root cause is an Apple issue then I certainly don’t want to risk other drives.

Communicating with customers is never a bad thing.

Greg,

I’m sorry if your post got missed, but we did respond over this issue, 4 weeks ago, and have had several long running threads about it.  Below is the main thread that I created over this issue.

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/External-Drives-for-Mac-Experiencing-Data-Loss-with-Maverick-OS/td-p/613775

We did release versions of SmartWare and WD Drive Manager that work with Mavericks. So, we both communicated and did what we could on our part to supply a fix for the issues.

I have spend a lot of time to recovery my data on WD product. I really want to know answer how that issue happen and WD need give customer warranty WD product won’t lost any customer data cause WD software. so Please give me WD final official response for this issue.

Yeah the firmware update caused my HDD to completely shut down and not power up again, almost like a killswitch. if you check teh board you will see 3 or 4 similar postst regarding the new official WD email strongly recommending registered custmors to update to the killswitch I mean new firmware. do not update your software.