Why is my MBL 3Tb no faster on my new faster modem?

You are right,  but now you are being too close minded… Plese separate gig speeds vs gig devices.

gig devices are usually auto 100/1000, so it will never achieve gig speeds with CAT5, and since it AUTO connects at 100 it will also no drop any packets or shield any errors.

Remember, we are dealing here with a home setting, not a large Data Center in which servers NICs or switchports are hard set to 1000.

But please let just drop it, let the user swap his cables, get his gig connections and move on.

It has nothing to do with being “Closed minded.”  I’m simply trying to ensure that people who come across this thread get correct information.

Gig devices are usually auto 100/1000, so it will never achieve gig speeds with CAT5,

Why not?  And what does autonegotation have to do with it?   Whether I set the NIC to 1000 manually, or if I let it autonegotiate, it’s still 1000…

and since it AUTO connects at 100 it will also no drop any packets or shield any errors.

That’s simply not correct.   Two Gig devices set to AUTO with a Cat5 end-to-end link connecting them will ALWAYS negotate 1000, not 100.

“I’m simply trying to ensure that people who come across this thread get correct information.”

Could not agree, more. Like I said, let the user swap cables to see if he gets gig connections. If he does, lets move on. If not, then there are other issues not cable related.

Sorry, can’t switch cables…

The modem is in the hall and connected to the desktop on a 10Metre cable.  It is actually about 6M away but 10M is the nearest cable size   :frowning:

Got my CAT6e cable (at last)   :slight_smile:

Plugged it in and got an orange on the MB side so, at least, it was a gigabit connection.    :slight_smile:

Copied a couple of movies and got 33MBps, 3 times as fast as before.  An improvement but I was hoping for a bit more   :frowning:

Anything else I can do for more speed or is that as good as I can expect?

TIA

Congrats!

And I know some will probably not agree :smiley:   but that is exactly what I was expecting. This is what I know, all for auto settings…

gig nic + gig switch + cat5 = 100

gig nic + gig switch + cat5e or later = 1000

Now, for your speed, I would say yes. Since you have your gig connections, now you are dealing with a whole of other factors. And each setup is different. Here is some nice reading

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabit-ethernet-bandwidth,2321-3.html

And last, do not forget to mark this topic as solved.

Good answer and very interesting reading. :slight_smile:

Sorry though, I’m changing ISP and using my iPad at my daughter’s house so I can’t do anything for the moment. I tried but the iPad App seems somewhat limited?

Will revisit when I come back through my new ISP. :smiley:

louwin, by chance, was your Cat 5 Cable two pair only? If so, then gig is impossible. But to satisfy shabuboy’s concerns, I’m running my MBL on a 15 year old Cat 5 cable I found in my desk last week, and I’m getting 60-70 MBytes per second… :wink:

Sorry Tony, Haven’t a clue. It was a cheap grey 10m cable from Hong Kong. The second was a blue 50ft cable, generic? I’ve thrown away the previous cables but, according to the MB end colour they were connecting at 100megabits???

The current cable is a CAT6e (claimed?). I am a retired Analyst/Programmer but never went into hardware as I stuck to software development.

The maximum I get with the new cable is about 33megabytes so I would love to get the 60 or 70 you get. :smiley:

It “buffers” at about 60 but stops for the copy to catch up at the end of a copied file so I’m at a lost to explain things…

Although it’s unusual even in cheap cables, it’s possible 1 or more pairs (most likely pins 4,5,7, or 8) were bad.

Autodetection can detect this and will fall back to 100 meg (which only needs pins 1,2,3 and 6.)

Slower WRITES aren’t unusual if you have the media server(s) enabled.  ~30 MB/sec is not unsual in that case; in fact, that’s pretty close to what I see when writing with Twonky enabled.

As soon as the MBL detects that a file has been opened for writing, it launches the media indexer and media crawler, as well as Twonky Server processes, which will slow it down.

My recommendation, if you’re going to be doing a lot of writing, is disable those servers and then re-enable them when you’re done.