Why is my MBL 3Tb no faster on my new faster modem?

On my old modem 10/100 I got 11400bytes/ps which I imagine is the fastest on a 10/100 modem. So I bought a new gigabit modem (10/100/1000) and my MBL 3Tb is NO faster.
I wasn’t expecting a 10 fold increase in speed but wouldn’t 4 or 5 times is reasonable.
In any suggested solutions please remember I am an absolute newbie. :slight_smile:
I did research modem speed in previous messages but found no answer. :frowning:

If you were only getting 11,400 bytes/second (11KBytes per second) thats 1/1000 of what you should have been able to get on a 10/100 connection.

Depending on conditions, I get 30-60 megabytes per second to my MBL.

Confirm your speeds.

Sorry, I left out the “k”…

I get 11.4 megabytes per second on the 10/100(old modem)  AND the same speed on the Gigabit ports (on the new modem)…

I would be happy to get the 60 YOU get   :slight_smile:

Any idea why I get the same speed on BOTH modems?

Is the network card in your pc or laptop gigabit as well?

do you have CAT5E or newer cables?

both good questions   :slight_smile:

my network card in built-in to my motherboard - Gigabyte P55A-UD7.  The notification area mentions Network 3 if that means anything?

And the cable came with the MBL and the cable to the desktop is common or garden CAT5, again, if that means anything.

A couple of things I noticed though…  Previously when I copied from the MBL to the desktop or when I was downloading (P2P) at reasonable speed I couldn’t access the the MBL from the WD TV SMP.  On the new modem I CAN access the MBL from my WD TV SMP while it is copying at full speed (11.4 mbps).

When I copy from the MBL to a 4Tb external attached to one of the USB ports in the modem the copy runs at about 5.5mbps.

Are you suggesting the speed of the motherboard’s network can/will effect the copy speed?

Slowly beginning to make some sense    :slight_smile:

Your motherboard appears to have dual gigabit lan ports so your good there. I know the cable that comes with the MBL is capable of gigabit speeds. You say the other cable just says CAT5? Look at it a little closer because it needs to say CAT5E to handle gigabit speeds

louwin:  What’s the make / model of your new modem?

nfodiz wrote:

You say the other cable just says CAT5? Look at it a little closer because it needs to say CAT5E to handle gigabit speeds

Propellerhead Warning!

The IEEE 802.3ab (Gig-E over twisted pair) specification actually only requires Cat 5.  

The common confusion is that there’s technically no longer a Cat 5 standard, as that standard was superceded by Category 5E.  

So, in fact, Cat 5 is fine for Gig-E.  :)

Sorry but it is not the same, for gig speed you need CAT5E, believe me, I: know from experience… But here is some reading…

Cat 5

The most basic type of network cable is Cat 5 and it comes in two varieties. SCTP or Screened Twisted Pair which is mostly used in Europe and UTP or Unshielded Twisted Pair which is what is commonly used in the United States. The difference between the two is that SCTP has an extra layer of shielding to protect from interference.

Cat 5 voice and data cable comes in either a solid or stranded version with the solid being stiffer and better for transmitting over a long distance, while stranded Cat 5 cable is bendable and used for standard patch cable.  Cat 5 cable can support up to 100 Mbps of Ethernet and for up to 100 meters or 328 feet.

Cat 5e

The biggest difference between  Cat 5 cable and Cat 5e cable or Category 5 enhanced cable is that Cat 5 cable achieves a greater standard of data transmission. This is why structured cabling contractors have all but  replaced Cat 5 cable with Category 5e in all new voice and data cable installations.

Cat 5e cable can handle data transfers up to 1000 Mbps which makes it suitable for Gigabit Ethernet. In addition, Cat 5e cable was designed to have a better resistance to near-end crosstalk or interference.

My old modem was a TP-Link TD-W8960 and my new one is same make but the TD-W8980. :slight_smile:

The old one was a 10/100 and the new one is a 10/100/1000 with 2 on modem USB2.0 ports.

And I have confirmed the M/B does support gigabit… :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your interest in my problem. :slight_smile:

Shabuboy wrote:

Sorry but it is not the same, for gig speed you need CAT5E, believe me, I: know from experience… But here is some reading…

The biggest difference between  Cat 5 cable and Cat 5e cable or Category 5 enhanced cable is that Cat 5 cable achieves a greater standard of data transmission. This is why structured cabling contractors have all but  replaced Cat 5 cable with Category 5e in all new voice and data cable installations.

That statement is quoted in so many places, all without citation.   And it’s basically incorrect, or at least, mis-stated.  The reasons that Cat5e is being used over Cat5 is because Cat5 is no longer a standard. 

All ya need to do is look at the IEEE802.3ab standard to see that it requires Cat 5, not Cat5e.

This was a specific requirement of the IEEE working group due to the fact that 60-70% of installed cable plants were Cat 5 at the time of development.   Unfortunately, as the IEEE standards are licensed, it’s difficult to find them online, except in other white papers that cite the standard, such as this one:

http://www.cisco.com/global/EMEA/sitewide_assets/pdfs/realbroadband/gigabit_ethernet_over_copper_white_paper.pdf

"At the time that the IEEE standards workgroup defined the goal for Gigabit Ethernet over twisted pair copper

cabling, Category 5 was the most prevalent cabling system. Therefore the IEEE 802.3ab standard specifies that the
electronic components of the network (network interface cards(NICs), and hubs or switches) shall be able to
transmit over a copper channel that meets the Category 5 requirements as defined in the Telecommunications
Industry Association (TIA) 568-A standard"

Reading further, you can see why Cat5 was deprecated as a standard and why 5e replaced it, as well as the typical recommendations that all NEW cable plants be 5E or better.

But it very clearly states that there’s no reason to abandon an existing Cat5 cable plant if Gig-E is to be used and meets the requirements.

1 Like

You need to read the whole doc… Page 6…

"For existing network infrastructures to run Gigabit Ethernet, it is required to retest the cabling system if it is

Category 5 cabling, and to upgrade your NICs, hubs, and switches to Gigabit Ethernet. Some
modifications of the cabling system, for example changing jacks or patch cords, may be required if there
are failures. If the cabling infrastructure is Category 5e, you just need to upgrade your NICs, hubs, and
switches"

Better yet, do not take my word for it, go ahead and try it. Just make sure you really use a CAT5 vs CAT5E. 

That’s correct, and it doesn’t contradict what I’m saying.

It’s just saying that it needs to be retested, it does NOT necessarily need to be replaced.

The whole section entitled “Existing Links” and Table 1 above it reinforces what I’m saying.  The requirements for Gig-E all match 1:1 with Cat5.

The reason it needs to be retested is because the Cat5 certification specs did not have a PSNEXT requirement, and 1000BaseT requires a PSNEXT of greater than 22.3dB.

The Cat5e specification requires a PSNEXT of 27.3dB which is 5dB greater than what is required (and the reasons for the additional headroom are specified)

Better yet, do not take my word for it, go ahead and try it. Just make sure you really use a CAT5 vs CAT5E.

Heheh…  I’ll go one better.

I’ve been designing and implementing large-scale enterprise campus and datacenter networks (including their physical plants)  since before even 10BaseT was a standard; back through the days of Token Ring & “Thicknet.”    

My largest building in my responsibility has somewhere around 25,000 switchports, 6000 users, and a high-performance grid-computing datacenter with somewhere around 10,000 CPU cores and 6PB of high-performance NAS storage.   This campus comes with a 10GB Ethernet metropolitan area backbone encompassing a good chunk of the Dallas metro area.

Probably 70% of the campuses I designed 15+ years ago are still Cat5, and a large number of them have Gigabit Ethernet on that Cat5 plant and it’s issue-free.

Any network engineer or premise cable plant installer that tells a customer that they must abandon their Cat5 plant and replace it with something new for Gig-E is looking for “easy money.”  

A new “drop” costs us, on average, about $250-300.   A re-test/re-certify only costs $15 per drop.  

It’s a no-brainer.

1 Like

Without taking sides I have ordered a CAT6 cable, will this do?

I did notice the light in the port is green which suggests it is 100?

Strangely the WDL also has a green light. As I read it the lights should be orange for 1000?

Cat 6 is fine…

The color of the LEDs depend on the manufacturer of the device.

At least on the MBL end, the Link LED should be green for Gig-E.  Yellow means 100.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation. :slight_smile:

My CAT6 cable should arrive in the next couple of days (hopefully). I pray that will speed up my accesses.

The MB User Manual says it should be orange for a gigabit connection on the MB end.

I got slow speeds when I put 2 externals (USB3) on the modem USB2 ports too. :frowning:

11MBps is good but 60MBPS would be glorious. :slight_smile:

louwin wrote:
The MB User Manual says it should be orange for a gigabit connection on the MB end.

I wonder if there is an error in your copy of the owner’s manual:

The english-language version is the opposite of what you’re seeing:

Untitled.png

1 Like

Sorry Tony, I was talking of the desktop motherboard port colours   :slight_smile:

:smileyvery-happy:

No need to flex your muscles Tonyph12345! Lets not even go there…

Anyhow… 

Will a cat5 be error free with gig devices? Yes

Will all work fine without getting gig speed? Yes

Will gig devices achieve gig speed with cat5? No

Now, no need to wait for the cat6 cable to arrive, switch cables between your MBL and mobo/MB see if LED color changes (if you have gig connection on MBL). Then you will have the answer to your issue.

Shabuboy wrote:> Will a cat5 be error free with gig devices? Yes

Will gig devices achieve gig speed with cat5? No

Those two statements are contradictory. 

Throughput will not slow down unless there are errors.