Why? Do not get it

Why did Western Digital stop making them or not come up with a more upgraded version?

Is there a way to make my own custom one now once the one I have stops working? Hopefully never.

Hi @peterg2,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Nice unhelpful and off=topic answer from the WD bot

I also really, really like the MPWP devices. I have two.
Unfortunately, I find these kind of devices outmoded.

They tried to make a more-up-to-date version with a SSD - - which was actually bigger than the HDD version. (which defeats half the point of the SSD). In 2023; I find the devices a bit too big to travel with.

What I do now is to simply bring a Surface laptop (small) with a small SSD external drive (also slow).
Yes, the Surface is a tad clunky. . .but it is also a full blown PC… . .which I generally need for other reasons.

For media on the go. . . .as long as you get a tablet with a SD card slot - - → I find they hold all the media I need for a long trip. For long haul air flights; seatback entertainment has progessed to a useable point.

Can you roll your own? Sure. Rasbury pi tied to a battery and a SD card. Don’t feel the need.