Why did i bother updating to os5! MyCloud access completely broken "no active internet connection" errors

I’ve waited a few months, knwing this would not work as described, and what a surprise it didn’t, I am now locked out of cloud access.

I read all the release notes, all the thing to check and do before, everything.

Applied the update, got to the section about creating a new MyCloud 5 accout, and then the issues started. I kept getting an error saying there is no active internet connection. I tried several time and eventually gave up and skipped that.

Device up and working NAS shares reaccessed and all okay, Plex working, but Cloud access broken!

From the GUI I have tried to set up clud access again, keep getting an error saying there is no active internet connection on the device, THERE IS!

I can ssh to device and ping to google so the internet is there, just the new OS refuses to believe it, so now I am stuck, wasted several hours trying everything. Rebooting seems to cure it as it boots but then shortly after, when you try to add account keeps reporting no intrnet when trying to add users. I can loginto my MyCloud account directly but t says there is no associated device, and that I need to go to the device and set it up from there. Well I would do that except for a constant error saying that there is no active internet connection, when there is.

Also tried to create new accounts, or reinvite old acconts and the same set of errors, plex working perfectly so no connection issues.

Now annoyed and frustrated!

@fugazi12 What’s your ping results to 8.8.8.8? are you seeing packet losses? What’s the Latency and Jitter time on your network?

Network and ISP Connection Performance Testing

Answer ID 30213

One troubleshooting suggestion. Perform a 40 second reset, if you haven’t already.

My Cloud OS 5: How to Reset a My Cloud OS 5 Device
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29445/

There was a post in the OS3 My Cloud subforum where someone had a similar issue where the My Cloud Dashboard indicated “no internet access”. For them, a 40 second reset worked.

The ping response is sub 8ms, and I used a -A switch to initiate new ping as soon as previous was received. Not sure how to measure latency but I’m pretty sure its not high.

I am loathed to do this if that will remove all user data and shares?

Where is it indicated that 40 second reset is user data destructive or will remove shares? Per the link provided above for resetting an OS5 firmware device:

Critical: The following process is Not Data Destructive and will not impact user data on the device.

User Shares and the data within them are not deleted or erased during a 40 second reset. Just the User Names are removed and all Shares have their permissions set to Public. When one recreates the exact same User Name in the Dashboard post reset it should tie that Name to the existing user Share. One would also need to reset any User Permissions to that User Share post reset.

If one is worried about loosing their data, backup the user data using the My Cloud Dashboard included method of data backup or access the Shares and copy the data elsewhere.

@fugazi12 can you check your Latency & Jitter times. https://packetlosstest.com/

Latency 80ms (remember I’m in the UK) and Jitter 2.5ms, I don’t think the problem is here, it worked fine before the OS5 update and now its broke!

@fugazi12 Please open a support case, collect the systems and attach and then let me know the case number. My Cloud OS 5 doesn’t use the same cloud servers as OS 3 but the ping to google 8.8.8.8 is the same.

How to Collect My Cloud System Logs

Answer ID 18374

Logs and screen shot attached to case which I opened earlier, 210305-003747

@fugazi12
Looks like the device admin user and cloud servers are out of sync.
The device logs has the admin user configured with @hotmail.co.uk address.
Our cloud server has your admin user set to the @btinternet.com address which would indicate the setup for the admin user was done with this email address
and then changed.

2021-03-05T11:13:12.539352+00:00 {“error”:{“message”:“Too many requests”,“label”:“TOO_MANY_REQUESTS”},“statusCode”:429}}}
2021-03-05T11:13:12.546599+00:00 {“message”:“Admin user first time failed to sign in.”,“response”:{“error”:{“message”:“Too many requests”,“label”:“TOO_MANY_REQUESTS”},“statusCode”:429}}}
2021-03-05T11:29:52.687176+00:00 :{“statusCode”:429,“error”:{“message”:“"Too many requests"”}}}}

SOLUTION:

The only solution is to perform a System Only Restore and setup admin user using the correct email address. The changing of admin user email address and cloud device owner sync will be fixed in the next firmware release.

How do I do a system only restore please?

Oh thank goodness.
This was a flaw from waaaay back.
Glad to see it finally fixed

(although it doesn’t affect me - as I no longer use cloud features of OS/5)

See the restore options on the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings > Utilities page.

My Cloud OS5 User Manual - Utilities:
https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/#t=MyCloud%2FConfiguringBasicSettings_part2%2FUtilities.htm

Restore to Default.

The Restore to Default area allows the Administrator to perform a restore on the My Cloud device.

system_restore_screen.png

Perform one of the following options to restore your system:

• System Only : Reverts system settings to their default values, but retains user data and shares.
  • Quick Restore : Reverts all settings to their default values, erases all user data and shares, and retains default shares. Quick Restore creates a new file table on the device, but does not fully overwrite or erase the drive, so data recovery programs can be used to restore user data and shares.
  • Full Restore : Reverts all settings to their default values, deletes all user data and shares permanently, and retains default shares. Data recovery programs cannot be used to restore data; all user data and shares, with the exception of the default shares, are permanently deleted.

Important Before doing a factory restore or a system update, you may choose to save your device’s current configuration. At a later time, you can import a previously saved configuration. Keep in mind that importing a configuration after restoring factory defaults does not restore shares or users. See “Saving a Configuration File”, to create or restore a configuration file.Formatting your disk will take several hours to complete.

Note : To erase all of the data on your device, see “Format Disk.”

Restoring your System

Use the following steps to restore your system to one of the three available options.

1. In the Restore to Default area, click either System Only , Quick Restore , or Full Restore .
  2. Click Restore .
  3. Review the confirmation message and click OK. The device reboots. Don’t unplug the device during this rebooting process. Once the reboot is complete, launch the dashboard.

Important : Before doing a factory restore or a system update, you may choose to save your device’s current configuration. At a later time, you can import a previously saved configuration. Keep in mind that importing a configuration after restoring factory defaults does not restore shares or users. See “Saving a Configuration File” to create or restore a configuration file.

Yes. . . .Last time I played around with user account email addresses. . . . .restore is where I wound up.
A bit annoying (and panic inducing); but really a pretty painless process if you only have a few users and shares.

. . . .still should not have wound up there from merely changing user/admin email addresses.

Today I bought a WD my Cloud EX2 Ultra 8TB and are not easy to configure, I upgraded to OS5, I can not now connect from the cloud and connect. I still have information to check the internet connection when I send the zaps to the e-mail address. I am devastated that the latest update has such a big difficulty. Has anyone encountered a similar problem and can help me?

I have now done the 40-sec reset and reconfigured the whole thing, and now its working!