Why Are Files In Non-Media Shares being Scanned!

I purchased a 4TB WDMyCloud a few days ago. So far I’m less than impressed! Slow speeds and at time, unresponsive. In setting up the WDMyCloud I created a Share (MSWinFileHistory) with media turned off. This share is used as a storage point for two Windows 8 PC’s. Files are placed on the WDMyCloud via Windows file history. There are thousands of photo’s and songs in the share. While investigating why the unit is slow I noticed Content Scan has been busy for almost 12 hours. I have to assuming it’s scanning the files stored in the share I created as no files exist in any of the other shares.

I’ve checked the shares configuration. It shows Media sharing is off for the MSWinFileHistory share and on for the Public share.

Share 1.PNG

Share 2.PNG

I’ve left the DLNA server on and shut off the iTunes server.

Media Settings.PNG

If I understand the DLNA server correctly, it should be scanning only the Public Share. Why than in the WDMyCloud performing a media scan when no files exist in the Public share? More importantly, why is it scanning the MSWinFileHistory share???

I saw that posting earlier and planned on doing the test once the scan stops.

DumbThing wrote:

I purchased a 4TB WDMyCloud a few days ago. So far I’m less than impressed! Slow speeds and at time, unresponsive. In setting up the WDMyCloud I created a Share (MSWinFileHistory) with media turned off. This share is used as a storage point for two Windows 8 PC’s. Files are placed on the WDMyCloud via Windows file history. There are thousands of photo’s and songs in the share. While investigating why the unit is slow I noticed Content Scan has been busy for almost 12 hours. I have to assuming it’s scanning the files stored in the share I created as no files exist in any of the other shares.

If I understand the DLNA server correctly, it should be scanning only the Public Share. Why than in the WDMyCloud performing a media scan when no files exist in the Public share? More importantly, why is it scanning the MSWinFileHistory share??? 

Twonky is only scanning the shares that you’ve enabled for DLNA.

However, the Cloud Access (used for the My Cloud apps) is also scanning every share in order to generate content thumbnails for compatible files.

I would agree that, if you’ve not enabled cloud access, then the WD should have no reason to do that…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I would agree that, if you’ve not enabled cloud access, then the WD should have no reason to do that…

Agreed. Just checked to be sure Cloud Services are off.

Cloud Setting.PNG

It is…

How sad is this! 48 hours later and the box is still scanning files that are only being saved for backup purposes. Come on WD, what’s with this?

_LinAdmin_ wrote: I have well founded reason to believe that nobody will find a convincing answer to your question of “Why”.

It would be interesting to know if slow speed in your case is due to the mainboard.

Well, scanning remains ongoing after 48 hours. I’m so dissatisfied with the units performance that this morning I decided to return it. A Full Factory Restore was started three hours ago - it’s at 5%. Based on what I’ve read in this forum, the unit should be restored to default settings by tomorrow evening. Once it is, it goes back to the store for a refund!

Yeah, that’s probably best if it’s not going to do what you want it to do.

I use this particular NAS primarily for remote streaming, so I have no issues with it doing all those things – because “all those things” are specifically for that task.

Hopefully WD will see their way to disabling those processes entirely if neither DLNA nor Remote Access are enabled.

Lin__Admin wrote:

A full factory restore normally takes max. 15 minutes. If it does not terminate within that period I see no use to wait any longer because it might as well take forever.

This is incorrect.

A full factory retore takes **MUCH** longer than 15 minutes.  It can take many hours depending on the size of the disk because it’s wiping the data partition by overwriting it with zeros. 

Lin__Admin wrote:> Do you know what script starts wiping? Thx.

Yes, it’s wipeFactoryRestore.sh

Lin__Admin wrote: A full factory restore normally takes max. 15 minutes.

A Quick Restore takes about 15 minutes. I know this as I did such trying to resolve the speed issue. A Full Restore takes much longer as existing data is over-written with zero’s.Nine hours have passed. The progress bar reads 44% so MAYBE it will complete overnight as I sleep. Hope so, that way I can return it in the morning when I’m sourcing a new solution.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

DumbThing wrote:

Twonky is only scanning the shares that you’ve enabled for DLNA.

However, the Cloud Access (used for the My Cloud apps) is also scanning every share in order to generate content thumbnails for compatible files.

Any word from WD customer support on this issue?  I am having the same issues.  I don’t want the software to scan ALL files on the entire drive.  I don’t need or want remote “cloud” access at present.  Why can’t this be an option for the user to enable/disable?