Why are files from shared drive appearing in photos folder?

Hi,

I was adding a new family member to my PR2100 4TB drive today and when they opened their account they said “oh how is there so many photos there already?”. I was very confused and looked and it was thumb nails of videos that we have saved to our Public folder so said delete a few and see what happens. They deleted a lot and it turned out to be the actual files form the shared video folder that they deleted and very quickly I managed to get >1.8TB of space back (which obviously I didn’t want as these are video / photos of family etc).

I only set the device up about 3 months ago with the continuous spamming of OS5 warnings as I had an older mycloud before and once I had copied everything to the new device - I looked in the photos folder and there was nothing there, I remember this distinctly.

2 photos attached to try and help but I’m really confused as to what this has happened? Running latest version of OS (updated today after I found the issue in case that was something to do with it.)

Thanks
B.

Maybe I should add that the files are showing up in everyones photo folder but not the shared photo folder. Even if I create a new share account - the items appear in that photo folder.

@harribry

Have you looked at the OS5 User Manual?
My Cloud OS 5 Online User Manual (wdc.com)

Yes.

Not sure the manual is the problem here.

First and foremost: PSA: Hopefully all of the files that were on the device are safe on another device? User error has wiped out far more data than all hardware failures!!

Second. . .I am not an OS/5 expert. . . .as I abandoned this software about a year ago. . .but your screen shots suggest you are accessing the device using the web app? I suspect that this is actually intended behaviour; wherein if user clicks Photos; that produces ALL the photos the user has access to; REGARDLESS on which share those actually reside.

To be clear, this is STUPID behaviour; but it is consistent with other things WD has implemented with the software. In fact, this is actually similar to how Win10 library folders work. (Again. . not 100% familiar here, as I tend to SHUN putting anything in the Win10 Default Library folders because. . .well. . .stuff like this happens)

Can any one explain me in detail i was having issue to applying it.

Thanks Nas_user…

To answer your questions - no I didn’t have the files elsewhere and it was sooo super easy to delete! I’m not over it yet :slight_smile:

Secondly, I would understand if it was the photos / or screen grab of a video stored in the photos album but it is actually the movie files which is the bit that I can’t understand. So for example the hour long video is a GoPro video of a family event. I thought it was simply the screen grab of the video but if I click on it, the movie starts to play!

Yes, accessing on web app on either laptop or mobile phone or tablet.

I’ll keep searching but as I said, this didn’t happen before and something has changed in the last couple of weeks (I haven’t changed any settings on the device).

Thanks
B.

I have many image files which I use as textures for 3D models and they all showing in PHOTOS folder. How can I prevent this? I only need files in specific folder shown in PHOTOS folder.

If you find the answer please let us know too. Same issue here

thanks
Jyoti

@senjujyoti

What WD Device do you own? The OP has a PR2100 and this topic is in the sub-forum for the single bay WDMYCLOUD.
WDMyCloudImage

I own two WDMYCLOUDS single bay, OS3 and OS5 (1st generation and 2nd generation). Any photos I have placed in my Public folder/share come from the Photos I have on my Windows 11 Pro computers.

I don’t know what you can share but here is what I have showing in Twonky>Public since I use it.
Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

@harribry
You may want to look at this.
My Cloud OS 5 NAS SDK - My Cloud OS 5 Personal & Network Attached Storage / Announcements - WD Community

I own a PR2100