Who's had the infamous "power switch' problems and what has your experience been with WD?

Let’s see how many people this problem is affecting?

Amara had a new one sent and it’s having the same problems. obviously WD has done NOTHING to address the problem?!

I’ve got a new one on the way, have taken the old one apart to transfer all my files, hope my new one is problem free.

(With all the people having this problem, why isn’t there a stickied thread on the topic¿?  Can we sticky this one?)

People need to know they can take the unit apart to salvage their files before they ship the unit back.

Just in case they still don’t know officially

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/m-p/206846/message-uid/206846/highlight/true#U206846

Maybe I’m one of the first few of who had this problem. During those times, there is no solution or remedy and since I taught I can’t RMA my unit, out of desperation, I took it apart and discovered the power switch problem so I made the remedy.

My experience with WD has been good. I’m actually quite contented with my remedy and then they offered me to advance RMA my unit. I taught it won’t be possible because I bought the unit in US and I’m in the Philippines and there’s no WD office here but they said can ship the new unit from Singapore and after I received and tested it, they will picked up the defective unit in my house so I accepted it. It’s a cross country shipping that didn’t cost me anything so I’ll consider that a good experience. Its been 4 1/2 months since that and I haven’t experienced any problem. My first unit had that problem just after 3 weeks.

I had the problem. Been using it with the switch disconnected for about 3 months. Been playing phone tag with WD foir an RMA#, but after seeing that some who got theirs replaced still had problems I think I might just stick with what I have that works. Never used the switch anyway.

The thread on this was a sticky until legal action was mentioned and the mods came unglued. It should still be a sticky as it has the info on the only workaround I know of that works. There are still too many new purchasers having this issue, as well.

Fisherguy wrote:

People need to know they can take the unit apart to salvage their files before they ship the unit back.

I know I answered this in another thread, but I need to answer this here as well.  Just in case someone reads this thread and not the other. 

Fisherguy, I know you mean well, but you can’t tell people just to take our products apart and let them think it will be okay to still get an RMA.  They need to contact support and get permission if they have data to remove.  If they don’t do this first, they run the risk of getting their device rejected and their warranty voided.  This can take months to process, before we even find out that it happened.  Do you want other users pissed at you and us?  Please just refer them to Support for help with this.

@Miami_Son, our replacement units should not have this issue.  Also, I’m having someone looking into Amara’s RMA issue. 

Well yeah, you gotta get permission to take it apart, yes. But with a thread stickied people will have 1 thread to find out what’s going on. Look at the first few pages of this section, there’s numerous threads with people having the same problems.  Just trying to help people, not trying to cause any trouble.

I cancelled the new one, too much hassle and I’d have to pay to have the old unit shipped back, something I thought WD should cover.  I just disconnected the power switch and it works fine.   Like said above, I never use the push button switch anyhow, in this day of remotes who uses the old fashioned switch on anything electronic nowadays?

Fisherguy wrote:

obviously WD has done NOTHING to address the problem?!

(With all the people having this problem, why isn’t there a stickied thread on the topic¿?  Can we sticky this one?)

But with a thread stickied people will have 1 thread to find out what’s going on. 

I think WD has already addressed this problem and there is already a thread (29 pages) that discussed so much about this problem so people should just search and read that thread and not keeping to create another threads discussing a problem that already has been discussed.

To anybody having the problem who doesn’t know that thread, here’s the link http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Help-Hub-powers-up-WD-light-flashes-then-powers-itself-off/td-p/104158

WD’s official solution is found in the last post of that thread which is in page 29. If you don’t want WD’s solution, you can try my remedy for that problem which is the power switch disconnection and that can be read on page 7 of that thread.

Well, got my RMA # and boxed the unit up to send back in the morning. I agree that it **bleep** that I have to pay to ship a defective product back. WD needs to do something about that. I was tempted to just keep it since I never use the button anyway, but they assured me that I would get a perfectly operating unit in return. Since I’m moving and have all my home theater disconnected I figured I’d take a chance and send it back. Bothers me that a unit under warranty has a defect even if it wasn’t affecting my ability to use it. Will report back after I get my replacement.

I’ve seen other people say that (if you push the WD folks) they will include a return shipping label.  

I agree, for a known defect, RMAs should not cost the customer a CENT (other than refunding time, and inconvenience, of course.)

I have to agree that customers should not pay anything for replacing a defective unit so I think I’m lucky that mine is replaced without paying any shipping cost.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I’ve seen other people say that (if you push the WD folks) they will include a return shipping label.  

I think I remember reading the WD people saying in the original thread that if you want to RMA your unit, you arrange it through them and not by yourself. Maybe in that way, you can RMA your unit and not pay shipping cost. I am not sure with this and I’m just speculating so the WD people here can tell me if I’m wrong. I’m saying that because in my case, they are the one who arranged my RMA and I didn’t pay any shipping cost. I think there are some people who made the RMA arrangement with them became happy because I saw the WD staff receiving kudos in the original thread so that’s also a reason why I’m speculating.

But I also remember that when the WD people said to RMA the unit through them, the reason is so that they can actually receive those faulty units for testing and since it’s been months since those posts, maybe they receive enough units for testing so I don’t know if they are still accepting that arrangement so I think people should just ask them.

The web RMA is an automated system.  Unless you contact us, you won’t be able to bring up any issues like this.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I agree, for a known defect, RMAs should not cost the customer a CENT (other than refunding time, and inconvenience, of course.)

I was contacted by WD directly after a mod here forwarded them my info. They never offered me the option of a pre-paid return. In fact, they insisted that I use tracking and insurance for the return. Cost me $17US.:angry:

Got my replacement Live Hub yesterday and was less than thrilled. Got it out of the box and noticed the front face was all scratched up. When I complained to WD I was told : “In an effort to replace your device as soon as possible, we replace your defective media player with a re-certified unit. This is much faster than repairing your defective drive and returning it back to you. All our replacement products are tested and determined to meet WD’s stringent quality standards before they are sent to our customers as replacement.”

So, I guess they expect me to be happy with a unit that works but looks like dog poo. NOT! I’m very unhappy that I paid full retail for a new unit, got a defective one, and had it replaced with a refurbished unit with cosmetic issues. And I had to pay to ship the defective one back! Already contacted them and they are sending me another unit along with a call tag for this one, but I think I am entitled to a brand new unit for all the hassle I’ve gone through. If I had wanted a refurbished unit I could have bought one for less. Not happy.:angry:

Yeah, Miami_…  That’s just not right.   Be like if my car died and I took it to the shop and they replaced it with an identical model …  that was a rust bucket.  :cry: