Whole series of problems with WD Cloud 3TB model

I am a brand new user trying to get this device set up on my Windows 7 network with a Linksys WiFi router. 

Not sure what is going on or if it’s a problem with the new firmware.  I have Dell XPS 2 tower machines running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and an older Dell laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  The 2 towers are connected via ethernet cable.  The laptop, the 2 iPads and the 2 Roku boxes are all wireless.  All are connected and working very well through the router.

I connected the WD device to directly to the router via ethernet port.  All the system defaults are in place.  I added some users and a couple of share directories.  I changed the workgroup to my network workgroup name.

Now here’s the issues:

1. On both of the towers, under networks in File Explorer, the name of the WD device (WDMYCLOUD) does not show up However, on the laptop, the name does show up (occasionally).

2. On both the towers, if I double click the Network, the WD drive shows up as an IP address.

3. I can map a share point on the WD drive in File Explorer, but when I log off and back on again, the maps are lost.  This happens on all 3 Windows computers.

I have tried DHCP Reservation settings on my Linksys router after reading a few posts on here about the WD drives having problems getting mapped.  No luck.  I’ve rebooted everything (computers, laptop, router, WD drive) several times and I get the same results.

Is there some secret to getting this thing to work reliably or is firmware version 4 the big problem and I have to wait?  Or should I take this thing back to the store and get my money back?

At a loss as to what to do with the inconsistent behavior.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

RogerDoger1 wrote:

I am a brand new user trying to get this device set up on my Windows 7 network with a Linksys WiFi router. 

Not sure what is going on or if it’s a problem with the new firmware.  I have Dell XPS 2 tower machines running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and an older Dell laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  The 2 towers are connected via ethernet cable.  The laptop, the 2 iPads and the 2 Roku boxes are all wireless.  All are connected and working very well through the router.

I connected the WD device to directly to the router via ethernet port.  All the system defaults are in place.  I added some users and a couple of share directories.  I changed the workgroup to my network workgroup name.

Now here’s the issues:

1. On both of the towers, under networks in File Explorer, the name of the WD device (WDMYCLOUD) does not show up However, on the laptop, the name does show up (occasionally).
  1. On both the towers, if I double click the Network, the WD drive shows up as an IP address.
  1. I can map a share point on the WD drive in File Explorer, but when I log off and back on again, the maps are lost.  This happens on all 3 Windows computers.

I have tried DHCP Reservation settings on my Linksys router after reading a few posts on here about the WD drives having problems getting mapped.  No luck.  I’ve rebooted everything (computers, laptop, router, WD drive) several times and I get the same results.

Is there some secret to getting this thing to work reliably or is firmware version 4 the big problem and I have to wait?  Or should I take this thing back to the store and get my money back?

At a loss as to what to do with the inconsistent behavior.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Agreed this is strange… WD Support should be able to assist you with this.  Try contacting them: http://support.wdc.com/