Which Firmware Should I use?

Hey guys,

I just bought a new WD TV Live, despite the negative feedback that I saw on these forums.

I’m wondering which firmware I should upgrade to?

So far, my unit can read most files , EXCEPT for 1080p content encoded with x264 codecs.

It just won’t read any of those files.

Here’s some info on 1 of the files…

SiZE…: 2.2 gb (1/2 dvd5)
ViDEO.CODEC…: H.264 (x264)
FRAMERATE…: 23.976
BiTRATE…: 4334 kbps
RESOLUTiON…: 1920x1080
AUDiO…: Japanese AC3 4.0 640 kbps
SUBTiTLES…: English **bleep**

Plus, after it fails to read those files, it won’t read any other type of files, unless I unplug the unit and plug it back in.

Which firmware should I upgrade to, since I heard a lot of negativity from the latest firmware release.

I have a WD external hard drive hooked up to the unit.  

Thanks!

Donny

Use judgement with all the negative feedback you read. Most people who are happy with the unit are not here complaining, and whenever I post that I am happy, someone may shout me down because I am reporting success.

If your unit has the original firmware that is shipped, then you should update with the latest firmware. I just installed last night the latest beta and it works great. There are problems for sure, but every media player will encounter problems with somebody’s files and with somebody’s network. This is not plug-n-play as marketing says. Too many different operating systems, too many different pc’s, too many different routers, home interference, cables, and on and on. I am amazed that it works as well as it does in my complex home…  Al

I understand what you’re saying…

Despite all the negative feedback I read, I still went out and purchased the unit, because I think it’s great overall.

This definitely has some shortcomings though, and that’s why I’m not using a wireless adapter with it, and instead I hooked up  an external hard drive to it.

I will try the beta firmware to see if it will play the 1080p files, since they’re encoded with x264, which is a very popular codec, it should be able to read it just fine.  ( hopefully ) :wink:

The specs state that .mkv & x264 are supported, but they’re not being read…

Ok, I upgraded to the latest firmware, and both files are still not being read, one gives the error message that the file format is not supported.

They’re both MKV files, 1080p, encoded with x264, here’s the info for the other file…

Size : 5.98 GB (1080p)       
Audio : Japanese 6.1 FLAC (from Dolby TrueHD)
Subtitles : English (A S S)
Video Frame Rate : 23.976 CFR
Video Resolution : 1904x1072, displayed as 1920x1080
Video Codec : x264 r1057
Format : MKV

I have a similar question.  I just bought a WDTV Live and I likely will be updating my firmware manually (downloading to a flash drive and installing on the WDTV Live).

Assuming that my unit’s firmware is the oldest one, do I merely update to the latest firmware?  Or should I install each updated firmware in chronological order?

If I just update my Media Player to the latest firmware, does this take care of all the revisions/improvements provided by the other (albeit older) firmware upgrades that I did not install?

madman wrote:

I have a similar question.  I just bought a WDTV Live and I likely will be updating my firmware manually (downloading to a flash drive and installing on the WDTV Live).

Assuming that my unit’s firmware is the oldest one, do I merely update to the latest firmware?  Or should I install each updated firmware in chronological order?

If I just update my Media Player to the latest firmware, does this take care of all the revisions/improvements provided by the other (albeit older) firmware upgrades that I did not install?

The only firmware available from WD is the latest 1.02.21 and this has all the other firmwares included.

I have a new unit as well, and could not play mkv  on it, from my PC.  Copied one 3.03 GB to a 4 GB flash drive, and it played.

So, now I have a WD Elements 2TB HD with all the mkv, mp4 and other files the box won’t play over the network, but will play over the USB port.  Networking with this Live unit is very bad and not what it is billed to be.