When will the networking issues be fixed?

:smiley:

thanks Bill,

hopefully it might give them one more hint as to what is going on, must be hard to diagnose the problem when there are so many different symptoms.

cheers

Mutton

Hi Iā€™m assigning fix ips from the DHCP to WDTV Live and the Window Home-Server (whwre all my shared folders are). Iā€™m using a GigaBit wired lan (I know the WDTV is onlyĀ  100T) and I mostyl play Big MKV files (4-15GB) and every day one or two times a day I have messages of connection drops.

if this can help ā€¦ I have noticed Ā connection drops happaning almost any time another computer in my house starts or shuts down.

This is the most annoing bug cause you can never enjoy a good movie without having to restart the WDTV ā€¦

Here is what worked for me:

1. Let the WD TV Live have dynamically assigned IPs.
  2. Leave the router at its presumedĀ  usual 192.168.0.1
  3. Assign fixed IPs in the range > 192.168.0.20 to all other computers on the network.

You should now have a network with a router at 192.168.0.1, the WD should get dynamically assigned IPs in the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.10 range (usually), and all the computers above 192.168.0.20.

That is what I have on my system, and since setting it up that way, I have had no network drops.

Hope this helps.

Dave Straayer

I Have the same problems. Device lost network connection in this cases:

1. Any computers in the network shuting down or stratup.

2. WDTV Live work around 40 minutes, then i see the messege ā€œNetwork connection lostā€.

3. After that if i reboot device by remote controler, i recived message ā€œNetwork connection lostā€ every 5 minuts. If i reboot device by unplug socket, then device work correct until 1st or 2nd steps.!!!

ANY FROM WD SUPPORT PLEASE ANSWER!! When this issues will be fixed!.

Note: This happend with wired connection. Fixed IP. And last firmware!

the new official firmware has finally fixed my network dropping issues!! THANK GOD!!

Fingers crossed mine has been pretty good as well, although I havenā€™t been able to test it extensively

cheers

Mutton

Iā€™ve had issues with the newest firmware. doesnā€™t seem to help much. basically after turning it on i could watch for couple of minutes, then network failure wait couple of minutes and then it seems to run better.

Iā€™ve now tried the IP-Range thing. Right now i would say it helps. no issue since then. But doesnā€™t make any sense to me why this should help?

dhstraayer I gotta say this may be the fix I was looking for.

For the last couple of hours everything is stable. I have 2 wdtv lives running and nothing has dropped. This is a first for me.

Thanks again!

DonFede wrote:

if this can help ā€¦ I have noticed  connection drops happaning almost any time another computer in my house starts or shuts down.

This is the most annoing bug cause you can never enjoy a good movie without having to restart the WDTV ā€¦

Aha!  I can confirm this bug (and replicate it every time).  Now that Iā€™ve hardwired one of my Liveā€™s to the network, when one of my other machines starts up the connection drops.  This is repeatable, so I hope the techs are still following this thread.

For me itā€™s not a big deal (as machines rarely start up on my net when Iā€™m playing movies :>) but itā€™s still something to fix (I have not tried the ā€œfixā€ of assigning IPs to a higher range and letting the Live take the low road, so to speak, but itā€™s weird that the Live would move off of its assigned IP in the first place).

I spoke too soon. Every time WDTV comes on my network drops.

Bill_S wrote:

If you find something consistent amoung you that you feel fixes or breaks the device, I will pass it along to the appropriate people.  Just let me know.

I definitely think your testers/coders should look at a hardwired network using network shares, with at least 7 or 8 IPs (various devices) attached AND the Live hardwired, and then those machines turned on and off. 

I can consistenly break the network connection this way ā€“ worse, I now see that hardwiring the Live doesnā€™t hold a connection very well when playing high bitrate (29mbps) movies.  Honestly, I had more luck with wireless (at least playing movies with lower bitrates I never had a dropped connection).

Against my better judgment Iā€™ve updated the firmware to the latest and am going to test more tomorrow, but it doesnā€™t seem like dropping a connection is very difficult when you hard wire the live (and you have a lot of IPs out on your net).

Itā€™s also clear that the Live doesnā€™t consistenly choose the same IP ā€“ now in my DHCP table I can see a distinct address for the Live every time it disconnected and then I reconnected it.  Thatā€™s really weird.  Your testers should be able to duplicate this as well (the Live should always take the next in line IP that isnā€™t already assigned, but itā€™s as if itā€™s discarding the last one it used).  Iā€™m not a systems programmer (graphics programming was my forte) but it seems to me the live is caching the IP info and then avoiding an IP itā€™s already used even if the IP itself is available on the network ā€“ thatā€™s why a lot of people with a lot of devices are running into trouble (and why the assignment of devices ā€œout of the wayā€ might work, but only for a limited time as eventually the Live will hit those spots as well.

Okay, after a few minutes research I see that the Live canā€™t request a specific IP, but takes what the DHCP server (usually the router for most of us) provides.Ā  And if dynamic allocation is used (which most routers will) then the IP is ā€œleasedā€ for a certain amount of time (I just reset my router to 1000 minutes, in the hope that this will keep things going).

Apparently the server reply contains the lease information to the deviceā€¦ and Iā€™m guessing this might be the issue with the Live.Ā  (Once again, Iā€™m no systems programmer).Ā  It seems to me that the Live is either not honoring that lease time, misinterpreting it, or just ā€œforgetting itā€ somehow and thus the connection drops (and thatā€™s why another IP address is then assigned when another request is made, as the server still thinks that first IP is active).

My own router had the lease time set for 0, which it says is equivilent to one day.Ā  So Iā€™d suggest at least as a test that those folks with issues look at their router and examine their own lease time (assuming they are using dynamic allocation) and adjust it upwards to see if it makes any difference ā€“ hey, it canā€™t hurt (I donā€™t think ā€“ at least it wonā€™t explode or anything like that :>)

Thats a good idea and may explain why it worked perfect 1 day and failed the next. It is set to 24 hours right now. I am going to set it larger and see what happens. Thanks.

Obviously a lot of these reports are going to be anecdotal, but after resetting my router last night (to 1000 minutes) for DHCP lease and then testing all of my high bit rate (29mbps or higher) very large (15GB or larger) movies Iā€™ve yet to drop a connection, even when my wife logged in with her computer.

If I want to be scientific about this Iā€™d need to change back to 0 in the router specs (for the 24 hour default) and see if I can drop a connection, but WD ainā€™t paying me and all I really want to do is to have a stable network (now, if WD wants me on their beta team they can contact me ā€“ hey, Iā€™ve betaā€™ed Apple and Adobe stuff, so I know the drill :>)

I was able to get the playback on these high bitrate files to stutter (as people have reported elsewhere).Ā  I couldnā€™t do it via internet traffic (we streamed an episode of ā€œCougar Townā€ and the 17GB The African Queen blu-ray rip, one of my toughest ones that always stalled the system when done wirelessly)Ā  was just fine.Ā  But when I copied 10GB of files to the shared drive from my system driveĀ  (at a rate of around 50mbps) then indeed the network shares playback became choppy until the files finished copying.Ā  However, at no time did the network connection drop.

Iā€™m just going to leave the Live connected all day, playing movies, and seeing if I can make it stop when I bring computers and other devices in and out, but this is fairly promising so far.

After having loads of issues streaming from computer and also transfering to TV Live connected HDD, the only thing that actually works is leaving the TV Live on for 10-15 minutes before I do anything.

If I do this all the problems vanish.

Well I figured I should send an update here. I tried messing with the lease time and stillā€¦within 3-5 minutes the wdtv disconnects my router.

It sure is frustrating and time consumming. I donā€™t how many times I thought new settings would help out with this issueā€¦only to find out the same disconnects keep happening.

The thing is I run an digital distribution service for record labels. My wireless is on 24/7 and is up for days even months without disconnects. Now with the wdtv I get these disconnects. I think I just need to give up and deal with this issue until something better is offered. I really like the wdtv minus this issueā€¦

Once it has conencted back up I can run 2 wdtv streaming 1080p content, 2 different movies and it will stay going until I turn it off.

Um, just so weā€™re clear hereā€¦ you say ā€œdisconnects my routerā€.Ā  Do you mean the Live drops a connection WITH your router, or that it somehow (?) makes your router disconnect with the internet?

And I also am a little unsure what you mean by saying that ā€œonce it has connected back upā€ you can then run two Live units just fine.Ā  When you say ā€œitā€ do you mean your router, or do you mean a Live connected to it?Ā 

The problem I am having is the WDTV makes my router disconnect from the internet. Anything else connected to the wireless router, like laptops, are disconnected as well. It happens every time.

I use a DIR-655 and have it set up to email me anytime there are disconnects. Once I turn on the wdtv around 3-5 minutes later I get an email saying connection has been dropped. I also get one from the Media Center as well. (My Book World Edition II) Any pc connected to the wireless connection is also dropped and cannot get online until the router is back up and running.

After that point I can stay up until the wdtv is turned off again. Itā€™s just that first time the wdtv is turned on. Either wdtv is having the same effect.

Hope that clears it up. Let me know if you need more info.

Okay, thatā€™s VERY different from anything anyone else has reported (and probably doesnā€™t belong in this thread).Ā  Nearly everyone who has problems is having problems with the Live losing a connection to their network, not bringing down the internet connection (which is a very, very weird symptom).

Admittedly Iā€™ve only been on these forums for a few months and havenā€™t read every single issue, but I donā€™t think anyone else has ever reported this.Ā 

In doing some preliminary research it looks like the cause of this is usually one of two conditions: either your router needs to be updated with the latest firmware, or the wireless card needs to be.Ā  Given this information I doubt very much if itā€™s the Live thatā€™s the issue here.

See thats just it. I have the latest firmware for the router. As for wireless cardsā€¦ I have 3 wireless laptops, Roku netflix boxā€¦even when I use my palm pre on the wifi it will disconnect when the wdtv goes on. Itā€™s strange for sure. But I do know thisā€¦I never got disconnected on any of my wireless devices until I hooked up the wdtvs.

It could be the routerā€¦I am open to anything being wrongā€¦but since it never happened until I got these wdtvs it just seems like they are causing the issue. I get the same message on the wdtv everytime it happens:

Ā ā€œThere was a problem connecting to the network.Ā  The device could not connect to the network.ā€

I think I may post this as a new topic. Iā€™d be curious to know if anyone else is having this type of issue.

Thanks for the info.