What is correct procedure to eject unlocked WD drive on Mac?

Seems like I have a 50/50 shot at ejecting an unlocked WD Passport drive on my Mac-- and 9 times out of 10 I get it wrong.

What is the correct way to dismount the unlocked drive from the Mac? Both the unlock app partition and the Passport drive itself are mounted… so which do I eject first? The WD unlock partition or the drive? If I pick the wrong one to eject first, the only way to eject the drive is to shut down the computer and restart… so which comes first, the chicken (unlocking partition) or the egg (the Passport drive)? Thanks!

P.S. Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite; Passport Drive Unlock app version 2.0.0.30; 1 TB WD My Passport for Mac drive

Hello
What is the correct way to dismount the unlocked drive from the Mac?

The easiest way to unmount a drive in Mac is to either just drag a volume into the Trash, use the eject keys, disconnect the drive, or use one of the force eject methods.

Thanks for the reply but I’m already familiar with those options.

The problem I’m having is that the drive rarely seems to successfully dismount, and this is due apparently to the WD Unlocker application. It doesn’t matter which I dismount first–either the WD Unlocker partition or the WD drive itself. It typically comes back with the following error message: "The disk ‘My Passport for Mac’ wasn’t ejected because one or more programs may be using it. " It then gives me the option to “Force eject,” which I’d rather not do, since there is then a risk of corrupting the drive. The only method that seems to work is for me to log out of the computer and log back in again or to shut down the computer, disconnect the drive and then restart the computer.

By the way, the backup program I am using with the drive is ChronoSync for Mac, and I make sure to quit out of ChronoSync before attempting to dismount the drive. It’s possible that ChronoSync has some sort of helper application that still remains connected with the drive.