What HD, exactly, is inside of this thing? 2TB My Book Studio Hard Drive, WDBAAJ0020HSL-NESN

WD just sent me a “Western Digital 2TB My Book Studio Hard Drive”  model # WDBAAJ0020HSL-NESN.

I had a different WD external drive that had 2 - 1TB HDs inside, because I need mirroring for my work. But that drive died, and WD didn’t have any more to send out, so they sent me this, which is also 2TB, but is a single disk, not a mirror, so I can’t use it.

I was going to either sell it on eBay, or rip it open, snag the drive out if it, and buy a second identical drive, and install the two into my computer in a RAID 1.

So I would like to know what HD is inside this thing so I can see how much another would cost, so I can decide what to do.

Thank you very much!

most probably it should  be  1 TB caviar green

most probably it should  be  1 TB caviar green

Cool!

How, exactly, do they get 2TB worth of data on a 1TB drive?

I probably wouldn’t do that if I were you.  If it is a caviar green, it probably won’t last long in a raid configuration.  true raid edition drives have a feature known as tler (time limited error recovery).  this prevents a drive from getting lost trying to recover errors and thereby dropping out of the raid.  I doubt very much that wd would put a raid edition drive in an external box.

I probably wouldn’t do that if I were you.  If it is a caviar green…

So, any idea if it IS a Caviar Green?

Or what it is, exactly?? 

Or how I could find out? (without ripping open the box – then I won’t be able to sell it on eBay)

Thanx!

I was just looking at their product list, and if you eliminate the raid edition drives, there’s only 3 possibilities.  The caviar green 2tb, the caviar black 2tb, or the 2 tb AV green drive.  the caviar black would probably be noisier than the green drive.  so, if it’s quiet, then that leaves either the caviar green or the AV green drive.  here, your guess is as good as mine.