What capabiliities does My Cloud offer on the local LAN?

Does this ujnit support traditional Windows XP SMB protocols allowing it to be seen in “My Network Places”?

Which SMB protocols are available in MyCloud (SMB2/SMB3)?

Can Linux SAMBA clients connect to this unit?

Thanks in advance for explaining this.

Hello, yes, SMB is supported. You can check page 105 of the manual to see all of the supported protocols.

Manual

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf#page=110

Thanks, last questions

1. Is the unit capable of DLNA serving?
  2. Is there a wireless version of MyCloud available?

Thanks in advance

Did you take the trouble of reading the manual link?

Page 97 (101) regarding dlna.

There is no wireless version available.

1. Yes it is capable of DLNA serving

2. No, no wireless version available.

The DLNA server is using Twonky 7.2 if that matters to you.

gcmartin wrote:

Is there a wireless version of MyCloud available?

There is likely good reasons why the My Cloud is not wireless – reliability and speed, for starters.  My Cloud is a gigabit system, and to take advantage of this, it is wired.  Also, wireless in many home environments is spotty and prone to dropouts.

Nevertheless, there are adapters that can make any wired device work wirelessly, but not adviseable for a product used for backup.

Hello,

Support WD My Cloud also SMB3.0 protokol ?
I cannot backup Windows 2012 :frowning:

Regards Jaro J.

Hi,

the My Cloud runs smbd Version 4.0.0rc5 and is configured with “max protocol = SMB2” (see /etc/samba/smb-global.conf).

But the lack of SMB3 should not be a problem.

Here’s a how to about fixing the Window 2012 Backup Error " The version does not support this version of the file format":

!!! might void your warranty, perform at your own risk (but the risk is very low) !!!

1. Create a share for your Backups

2. Enable SSH Access to your MyCloud

3. Login with putty or another ssh client

4. Make a Backup of your config by running

cp /etc/samba/overall_share /etc/samba/overall_share.bak

5. Open the file “/etc/samba/overall_share” with the text editor nano

nano /etc/samba/overall_share

6. Look for your Share Entry (here’s mine for my Share called “WinBackup”):

BEGIN ## sharename = WinBackup

[WinBackup]
    path = /shares/WinBackup
    comment = WinBackup
    public = yes
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    map read only = no

END

7. Add the line “strict allocate = yes” so that it looks like this:

BEGIN ## sharename = WinBackup

[WinBackup]
    path = /shares/WinBackup
    comment = WinBackup
    public = yes
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    map read only = no
    strict allocate = yes

END

8. Press Ctrl+X and then Type Y and Enter to save the file

9. Restart SAMBA with

/etc/init.d/samba restart

For configuration of the Windows 2012 on the windows machine, there’s a good guide from QNAP Support (don’t beat me :P)

http://qnapsupport.net/?page_id=3033

(Follow the steps until " II – Qnap Samba Configration" )

If you’re curious what strict allocate does (see http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html):

----- QUOTE START -------

_ strict allocate _

This is a boolean that controls the handling of disk space allocation in the server. When this is set to yes the server will change from UNIX behaviour of not committing real disk storage blocks when a file is extended to the Windows behaviour of actually forcing the disk system to allocate real storage blocks when a file is created or extended to be a given size. In UNIX terminology this means that Samba will stop creating sparse files.

This option is really designed for file systems that support fast allocation of large numbers of blocks such as extent-based file systems. On file systems that don’t support extents (most notably ext3) this can make Samba slower. When you work with large files over >100MB on file systems without extents you may even run into problems with clients running into timeouts.

When you have an extent based filesystem (NOTE: applies for the MyCloud) it’s likely that we can make use of unwritten extents which allows Samba to allocate even large amounts of space very fast and you will not see any timeout problems caused by strict allocate. With strict allocate in use you will also get much better out of quota messages in case you use quotas. Another advantage of activating this setting is that it will help to reduce file fragmentation.

To give you an idea on which filesystems this setting might currently be a good option for you: XFS, ext4 (NOTE: MyCloud uses ext4), btrfs, ocfs2 on Linux and JFS2 on AIX support unwritten extents. On Filesystems that do not support it, preallocation is probably an expensive operation where you will see reduced performance and risk to let clients run into timeouts when creating large files. Examples are ext3, ZFS, HFS+ and most others, so be aware if you activate this setting on those filesystems.

Default: strict allocate = no

----- QUOTE START -------

And yes, MyCloud is formatted with the ext4 filesystem which is a good thing (run df -T to check) .