What are reasonable file transfer rates?

I’m getting very poor file transfer performance so far.  What are reasonable transfer rates given the following parameters?

1. WD My Cloud 4TB running latest v04.00.00-607 firmware

2. WD My Cloud has both media servers running (DLNA, iTunes)

3. I’ve loaded roughly 35GB data onto the WD My Cloud - only about 5GB of that is on the Public volume and it is all music

4. Media serving is only enabled on the Public volume

5. Cloud (internet) access disabled, FTP disabled, SSH disabled

6. Tests run with only 1 active WD My Cloud client at a time

7. My WIFI router - new Asus RT-N66R Gigabit Dual Band 2.4GHz/5GHz (450 Mbps per band)

8. All file transfers from clients to/from WD My Cloud done over my LAN via WIFI class n

9. My 2008 Mac Book Pro running Mavericks has a 5 GHz WIFI connection with 300Mbps link

10. My 2010 HP Laptop running Windows Vista 64 bit has a 5 GHz WIFI connection with 144Mbps link

11. Transfer rates measured using a 300MB file for upload and download

12. File transfer tests run using Helios Lan Test - 3 consecutive iterations each test run

My Observations so far:

* My Mac is getting uploads averaging in the 3 - 8 MB/s range, downloads averaging in the 5 - 12 MB/s range

* My Windows Vista HP is getting uploads averaging in the 0.5 - 2 MB/s range, downloads averaging in the 3 - 5 MB/s range

* The file transfer performance degrades as the number of test iterations increases.

* I have noticed a lot if idle network transfer time (observing realtime transfer rates) as the test runs; this tells me the WD My Cloud server is busy doing something else because no other heavy processing or transfers are active on my LAN while I’m running these tests.

I will add screen shots of the actual Helios Lan Test results later.

I’m close to taking this NAS back to Best Buy for a refund.  I don’t really want to waste hours on the phone with support unless I know this can be improved significantly and without giving up the media server features of the NAS.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

jdeviney wrote:

I’m close to taking this NAS back to Best Buy for a refund.  I don’t really want to waste hours on the phone with support unless I know this can be improved significantly and without giving up the media server features of the NAS.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Since you asked, my advice is this: Since you’re already spending hours on the Internet trying to get answers in this forum, why not spend those hours giving tech support a try?

Because I do have a job.  Smart **bleep**.

Wifi connections with 300 and 144 Mb…NOT MB. There’s a big difference. Same for your wifi router. You are mixing up the MB you see for actual download speeds with the rated Mbps speeds of your network equipment. The speeds you are seeing on your Mac and Windows computers are about normal for wifi connections. For faster speed, switch to wired connection.

Cybernut1 wrote:
Wifi connections with 300 and 144 Mb…NOT MB. There’s a big difference. Same for your wifi router. You are mixing up the MB you see for actual download speeds with the rated Mbps speeds of your network equipment. The speeds you are seeing on your Mac and Windows computers are about normal for wifi connections. For faster speed, switch to wired connection.

You are correct I was mixing up Mbps and MB/s on the router and adapter specs.  Wired is not an option at home for everyday use.

100 Mbps = 12.2 MB/s so I can see where my best numbers on the Mac might be about as good as it gets but the Windows machine still seems slower than it could be.

Thanks for the clarification.

Your transfer speed over WiFi is about right. You will find you connection speed on WiFi is a fraction what the router says… More like 145mbs and not 300mbs… And don’t get me started on dual channel WiFi that essentially will only work if your alone in the middle of a dessert.

Your limiting fact is your WiFi…

I guess for large backups I’m better off temporarily running a cat 5 cable to the router.  I’ll run more tests tonight with cat 5 and WIFI off and see what I get.